Hi guys, sorry it's been so long since the last update! There's been a lot of silent Chaotica progress on many fronts, from important fixes for Mac OS to a powerful new rendering mode and layers support...
But before I get into that, the other big news is the first Chaotica fractal art competition
This is a great opportunity to show off some really hot fractal renders and win a Chaotica licence and an iPod Nano! The free version of Chaotica may of course be used, and if you'd like help rendering a final version at higher resolution please don't hesitate to ask
The competition runs until the 25th of October, and entries must be posted in the competition forum thread.
I hope you'll all have a great time making sexy pixels for this competition!
Now, about that Chaotica 1.1 release...
The headline new feature in this release is a novel anti-aliasing algorithm, which uses less memory for a comparable level of detail and delivers even higher quality results than before. It might be a bit slower than before (though some users have reported it's faster), and any performance results are welcome. Most of the groundwork for adding layers support has been done, however the UI elements are not yet ready and will still take some (lower priority) development effort to complete. It will be quite an interesting feature, and the basis of a lot of fun going forward; until then, please excuse the cheeky un-editable layer number control in the interface!
Thank you so much again for all the support, especially tatasz and FarDareisMai, and as ever if you encounter any problems please either note me here on dA or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chaotica 1.1 download links:
Windows installer: 32-bit or 64-bit
Windows portable version (7-zip archive): 32-bit or 64-bit
Mac OSX: 32- and 64-bit
Linux: 32-bit or 64-bit
How can the new dA be so terrible?
Stochastic Labs and SIGGRAPH
I used the 32-bit-installer and I think that I have found some bug in this version. Chaotica crashes if I try to save the state of the current rendering. Would it be possible to save the actual brightness settings etc. too?
1. is there possibility to save only curves settings?
2. is it ok if all 64bit dlls are already copied to subdirectory where they belong and when rendering flame with for example hypertile2 it says in diagnostics window that it uses 32bit plugin? what this message exactly means in 64bit chaotica?
3. because competition looks great and i am sure i will try - can you explain what negative colour or "ability to use any transforms as either pre_ or post_ in a flam3 transform" means? i feel lost
4. should i register to chaotica forum to enter this competition? (well, i should do that anyway...)
5. you say you would like to see render times etc, what exactly is enough for you as a source of info? only efficience/time? or plus flame parameters? i can accumulate some data for you too...
thanks for fast replies!
if you want, check www.volny.cz/bob69 - it is my first fast test, i do not understand numbers and do not know what to compare but de is much higher in 0.667 version...
do you mean only 1.0.2 x 1.1 de comparison is useful? i do not have 1.0.2 installed... i finally installed 1.1 but still keep 0.667 for da uploads (1600x1600, etc.) and i am more than satisfied with render results.
btw, should we use new 1.1 version only for competition?