Even when I don't have time for art I have time for movies it seems. They are my #1 choice for procrastination these days. First, short reviews. No spoilers.Howl's Moving Castle
Brilliant as always from this studio, though maybe lacking the magic of some other films like My Neighbor Totoro. Of course, like those other films, it's the little details and fun characters that still bring it to life. And as always a happy, feel-good story.Shutter Island
I have very mixed feelings about this movie. For one, I finally understand why everyone loves Leonardo DiCaprio. He's so fantastic, and easy on the eyes if you know what I'm saying. Also, the plot is beyond fantastic and is anything but predictable. It's the story and the ending that got me. In this case it's not that it's a bad movie, it's just not to my tastes. The Wolfman (1941)
The only reason this one wasn't highe was because it's a little lacking in action. I realise it's an older film, and perhaps I am too used to Jimmy Stewart gracing the screen when I watch old films, but it wasn't as interesting as I was expecting. Still good, of course. I loved the actors and I thought every role was pretty well done. The Wolfman (2010)
This is one of my new favorite movies! I loved it! Every moment was exceptional. The casting was perfect, the acting was superb. Sure it could have been creepier, maybe a little more subtle, but the characters and story mad up for it. I am absolutely in love with Benicio Del Toro now, and of course Hugo Weaving is always going to be my hero. I would seriously reccomend this one to anyone who can stomach it (and the gore isn't too bad to be honest). Just go see the original first.Inglorious Basterds
I absolutely loathe war movies, but somehow Q.T. made a picture that even one as emotionally fragile as I could not only view all the way through but actually enjoy. It was hilarious, first off. Brad Pitt was superb. I also liked the foreign languages. I don't think many people enjoy reading subtitles but I don't mind, and now that I know some German it was a neat experience. And to be expected it was full of action and visually stunning scenes, as well as posesing an insane "Hell yes!" attitude.
Secondly, a fun movie meme. I don't know how many people will actually guess but I'd like to see others participate in their journals because it's so much fun to read these. I can't offer any art rewards now because I'm so busy/lazy (odd combo isn't it) but I hope you at least have some fun reading it.
1. Pick 15 of your favorite movies.
2. Go to IMDb and find a quote from each movie.
3. Post them here for everyone to guess.
4. NO GOOGLING/using IMDb search functions.
5. Strike it out when someone guesses correctly, and
put who guessed it and the movie.
(I picked 17 since I love so many movies.)
(Oh and, in a couple of these quotes I took out names that would have given it away, but they're otherwise "intact".)
1. "Speak your mind." "That would be unwise." "What is necessary is never unwise."
2. "There's a monster outside my room, can I have a glass of water?"
3. "He comes on with his big, innocent farm boy routine, but I could see through that in a Peloponnesian minute."
4. "I've always thought that it was out of character for David to drink anything as corrupt as Whiskey." "Out of character for him to be murdered, too."
5. "You know what you done there? You told my story, you told my whole story right there, right there. One time, I told you I was gonna make you somebody. That's what you done for me. You made me somebody they're gonna remember."
6. "Once again you've put your keen and penetrating mind to the task and as usual come to the wrong conclusion."
7. "Trees and people used to be good friends. I saw that tree and decided to buy the house. Hope Mom likes it too."
8. "You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic."
9. "I wish I could do something about this. But I can't. But I can promise you two things. One: I'll always look this good. Two: I'll never give up on you... ever. "
10. "Life in a box is better than no life at all, I expect. You'd have a chance, at least. You could lie there thinking, 'Well. At least I'm not dead.'"
11. "Yeah, she was in great pain! Then we cut off her head, and drove a stake through her heart, and burned it, and then she found peace."
12. "How humiliating! Chased into a hole by 1/3 of a B.L.T.!"
13. "Thank you, sir. You look really nice today. It's the green. It brings out the seriousness in your eyes."
14. "All women have the same color when the candle is out."
15. "It's funny to think that just a year ago, I sat in that Knightsbridge Pub actually planning to murder her. And I might have done it, if I hadn't seen something that changed my mind." "Well? What did you see?" "I saw you."
16. "This was a long time ago, you understand? A LONG time ago. I was a real terror then. I was a real animal. And I was hungry, ALL the time!"
17. "You do believe me, don't you? I loved your mother with a passion like the burning of the sun. Her death finished me, I was devastated. But I still prowl the house at night, searching for her. But I'm dead all the same. Look into my eyes, you see that I am quite dead."