First of all I'm going to mention major spoilers for Persona 5 (and 3 and 4 by extension), so turn back now if you're trying to avoid them. Otherwise, keep scrolling.
I finally finished Persona 5 today. This is mostly just me emotionally rambling. You will not find eloquence or logic here.Random thoughts
- Just going to mention this upfront, I tend to be a villain sympathizer. I adore Akechi. Even though I wasn't officially spoiled, I still had a pretty strong feeling he was the black masked culprit and the clues seemed pretty obvious to me, so when he showed his true colors I was not surprised (although his facial expressions really spooked me). The baby-faced guy working in law enforcement who turns out to be a murderous lunatic. I wasn't disappointed though, it was great. I wasn't expecting him to actually die though, I thought he'd perform a mental shutdown on himself but I'm glad he went out in a more honorable way. I like him more than Adachi and I appreciate the fact that despite all his actions, he still had a change of heart in a sense and sacrificed himself to save Akira and co at the end of his social link. I also want to mention he REALLY reminds me of Yagami Light, and there's absolutely no way that the devs weren't inspired by Death Note in general. I mean, even his name is synonymous with light.
- I couldn't remember Shido's name so I just call him Pitbull. I was NOT expecting him to be Akechi's father. God, Poor Akechi. He suffered so much ;-;
- It feels great to finally understand the "pancakes were a mistake" meme.
- I somehow managed to dodge all major spoilers for the game. I think that made the experience that much more impactful.
- Akechi's victory animation is the most hilarious, unexpected thing in the game. I'm amazed that he managed to overthrow Yusuke as king of over-the-top antics. I wonder what other kind of sick dance moves he has.Complaints
-It REALLY bothers me how they completely threw Akechi under the bus after his boss fight. He goes missing and is never mentioned again (other then a few casual name drops). Even the media doesn't care. I get he was a villain, and I don't blame anyone for disliking him, but it just seems extremely odd that the game acts like he never existed to begin with. Wouldn't people notice that this heartthrob celebrity, who was a key player in the whole phantom thieves media controversy, just disappeared without a peep? And this was before the whole thing about the Phantom Thieves disappearing from the public cognition. Yes I am extremely butthurt, don't mind me.
- I'm a bit disappointed Morgana never got a human form. I would have loved to see that. But I'm still glad he rejoined the gang at the very end of the game. I got a bit teary eyed wondering if he now has the life span of a normal kitty. (Just because my own kitty is 15 years old) I like to think that if Morgana had a human form, he'd look like Akira. They look extremely visually similar, in my opinion. Akira's cowlicks make me think of cat ears.
- I thought the "tsundere" moment after they escaped Shido's palace was in very bad taste. Ryuji risked his life to save everyone and almost didn't make it back alive. I get their reaction when they realized he lived after all, but the girls beating him up over it was taking things way too far imo.
- The way they pronounced some of the characters' names was really weird to me. TaKAmaki, SaKAmoto, MaSAyoshi. Usually they stress the third syllable, not the second. Apparently the Japanese team instructed them to pronounce the names like that. I've just never heard Japanese names pronounced like that in an English dub, but it really bothered me because it sounded so odd. Pros
- They really improved the gameplay in every way possible. It really improved on the relationship between social links and battle features. I also thought it was interesting how all the enemies are personas you can pick up, and you can actually talk with them. I like that they actually have voice roles now.
- Graphics are amazing. It's everything the previous games wanted to show us, but couldn't.
- I'm glad they got rid of the randomly generated dungeon corridors (other than Mementos).
- Amazing soundtrack. It's hard to choose, but if I had to pick a favorite it would probably be Life Will Change. This game knows how to get you pumped.
- Akechi's voice actor was INCREDIBLE. Once he went off the deep end, my god.
- I love Akechi. I also love Yusuke and Ryuji. They are all excellent boys. I have a really hard time deciding who I like the best, but probably Akechi because I always end up falling for the tragic backstory villains. Ryuji is absolutely precious though, he's such a good boy. He feels like a mix of Yosuke and Kanji from P4, but more innocent somehow. Yusuke is great too and he has the best phantom thief design, in my opinion. He also felt like the most relatable character to me.
I know it would never happen but I would have loved if there were romance routes for the boys as well, but that's just my fujo side talking
- Ryuji and Yusuke's quotes when they learn a new skill are adorable. I love Ryuji's "whaddaya you think?" and Yusuke sounds ridiculously dorky when he says "This is quite the skill" (I don't remember the exact quote)
- Futaba is best girl. I didn't consider dating her at first, but she really grew on me and she's absolutely adorable and I love her. Her VA did such a good job, my heart melted every time she came on screen. Her battle perks are extremely helpful as well, making her superior to Fuuka and Rise imo
Thanks for reading this far. Have some random Akechi doodles I did recently. I'm always looking for new fanart suggestions.