Fascinating World of Mold-Making and Casting
Have you ever wondered how sculptors and modelers make a limited production of their work? It is an involved process that can be simplified into the following major steps:
1. Create the original sculpture.
2. Make a mold of the original sculpture.
3. Cast parts using the mold.
4. Clean up and assemble the parts.
5. (Optional) Prepare for painting, and paint.
No, I am not talking about one who dishes out instructions
, rather, the original sculpture that the sculptor/modeler makes. As an example, the deviation below is an original sculpture of Urd
, Goddess of the Past in the Ah! My Goddess
manga. This example will be used to illustrate the process of making mold and casting.
The different colors of epoxy clay are used to enhance visualization.
If the sculptor/modeler intends to make duplicates of the master, then the master must be scu