So here comes a rant that's probably overdue.
Most people here are quite nice, but it's the frustrating few that keep me away. I post a fun little picture today, and 40% of the responses were nitpicking irritations/complaints or stupid Reddit-level jokes. Ugh. That's only the second picture in the last month that I've shared here, and I'm so aggravated that I deleted it.
My art is free and for fun. I have never had a Patreon and I have never asked for money. I don't do art jams or contests or any of that stuff. Doc and I have always made everything free to anyone who might enjoy it. I try my best not to be negative; I've bitten my tongue more than a few times here, because I just want to share some art and stories and enjoy what other people create. I get very inspired here and, although I'm not perfect, I try to give credit for my inspiration. Not everything is for everyone, and that's very true for me, but if I see something, I either say something positive or I simply move on. I can't understand why others only post a comment to say something nitpicking and/or negative. One person that almost never comments just had to comment to make a snide complaint today, and that's what sent me over the edge. No comments on the other 20 things from this year, but today needs to point something out.
So I post a fun new picture, and I get someone telling me that the picture had the wrong version of Wonder Woman, another complaining about the content...and anyway, I'm about sick of DA. I want to come here as a refuge from the boring, mundane world and idle away some time with art and stories and other things that tickle my fancy. Instead DA is now:
1. Trolls trying to get people banned and artwork deleted.
2. People sharing political opinions (and acting shocked when it sparks an argument). I come here to get away from that stupid stuff. I remember when people came here to share art, not spew their rhetoric.
3. A few truly awful people that Doc and I have ran into in the past, and having to see others that are unaware of these past evil actions saying these nice things about them. One person that arrived here in the last year or so in particular, that truly was evil to Doc and myself. No, I'm not naming this person; see #2, I'm not here for arguments about assholes.
4. People that literally see something I do, and within a day or two post an almost identical picture and act like it was their own original idea (and yes, I know, welcome to the internet),
5. Requests for free art from people I've never heard of, who have never left a comments or said anything, but sure, I'll make you a picture of Wonder Woman shrunken or Ultra Woman in a diaper (and again, welcome to the internet).
6. "That's the wrong shade/character/item/pose" nerd-splaining. I don't care. If I want to mix 1970s Wonder Woman with new52 Superman, I will dammit. So there.
So that all being said, there are a lot of people here that I absolutely love and appreciate. We've shared art for each others' characters over the years, and there are many wonderful people that are always positive and encouraging and leave comments making me want to keep sharing art here. Maybe I will take a break away again and come back after my irritation is gone. I love sharing my art and seeing what others can create. After all of this negativity I just threw out there, I have to say again that so many here are wonderfully supportive, they are like me and just want to see and share art and want to be positive and inspire others. To you, the majority thank you.
I love you all.