**** Update! ****
Judging is now in progress!
I've decided to extend the contest. The new end date is Midnight, PST, MONDAY, December 16th, 2013! Other dates have been adjusted below.
Lights, Camera, Action!
Depict a scene with Merreth in conflict with another character from her world. This can be a physical or verbal confrontation or even a battle of wits.
Choose one of the following scenes (yes, some reading is required ):
Lady Merreth confronts Scribe Duggel
Upon her arrival to see High Mistress Rhekhell of the Western Watch, Lady Merreth meets her chief scribe, Duggel, who insists upon following procedure with regard to Rhekhell’s appointments. Merreth’s temper, already frayed after a long ride, snaps. Link to Chapter with full scene
Ladies Tiandraa and Lyadkell of the Red Hand bait Merreth
After meeting with Mistress Rhekhell, Lady Merreth and Scribe Sarrit meet Ladies Tiandraa and Lyadkell of the Red Hand in the main room of the Watch Administration building. Lady Tiandraa steps into the room from the outside, opening the door suddenly and catching Merreth full in the face. Things go rapidly downhill from there. Link to Chapter with full scene
Honour Bout between Lady Merreth and Lady Tiandraa
Lady Merreth refuses to apologize to Lady Tiandraa for publically striking her in front a crowd of commoners. Lady Tiandraa demands satisfaction in an Honour Bout. Merreth accepts and the bout is staged in front of a crowd of Watch nobles and commoners. Things do not go well for Lady Tiandraa. Link to Chapter with full scene
Lady Merreth rescues a commoner from a group of tavern thugs
Merreth returns to the eastern Matriarchy after her adventures in the Western Watch province. It’s winter – cold and wet; she takes refuge in commoner tavern. There she witnesses a commoner shopkeeper bullied by several local toughs. Merreth doesn’t care for bullies and when none of the other patrons intervene, she decides to do so. Link to Chapter with full scene
Lady Merreth confronts Lady Simma of the Red Hand
An impulsive decision on Merreth’s part forces her to work closely with Lady Simma – a Red Hand noble. Without realizing how dangerous it is to push Merreth, Lady Simma baits her once too often. Merreth loses her temper and acts like one of the things she loathes – a bully. Link to Chapter with full scene
Pick Your Own Scene from the posted Lady Merreth Literature
Don't like any of the foregoing scenes? You can pick a conflict
scene from any of the posted literature within the Stories and Chapters
However, before you depict the scene, note me first for approval.
Contest EntrantsLast updated December 15, 2013
Contest opens September 8th 2013 and closes December 16th 2013 (12 midnight PST).
Judging takes place December 17th to December 20th.
Winners announced December 21st.
All prizes from LadyMerrethsAuthor distributed by December 23rd. Yea! Just in time for Christmas!
Prizes from LadyMerrethsAuthor will be cash, paid through PayPal. If the winner does not have a Paypal account, the prize will be given in the equivalent amount of DA points.
Over Twelve Entrants
- 1st Prize: $100.00 US
- 2nd Prize: $80.00 US
- 3rd Prize: $60.00 US
- 4th Prize: $45.00 US
- 5th Prize: $30.00 US
Nine to Twelve Entrants
- 1st Prize: $90.00 US
- 2nd Prize: $70.00 US
- 3rd Prize: $40.00 US
- 4th Prize: $30.00 US
Six to Eight Entrants
- 1st Prize: $80.00 US
- 2nd Prize: $60.00 US
- 3rd Prize: $30.00 US
Five or Fewer Entrants
- 1st Prize: $50.00 US
- 2nd Prize: $30.00 US
In the first Lady Merreth Contest several very kind DA members contributed additional prizes. If that occurs again, the prize pool will be updated.
- You can enter as many times as you like, but you can only win one prize.
- Contest Winners will be featured on the LadyMerrethsAuthor DA page for two weeks after prize payout.
- Winning entries will also be displayed on the Tales of Lady Merreth FaceBook Page and Lady Merreth’s Author Blog.
- All contest entries will be displayed within the DA Lady Merreth Group.
- All Contest Entries will be placed into a Contest Gallery on the LadyMerrethsAuthor page at the contest’s conclusion with links back to the artists.
Eligible Art Types
Contest entries can be:
- Line art – as long as it is clean and “finished looking”
- Photo manips
I prefer entries to be of realistic proportions
Backgrounds are preferred, but not mandatory. Many of contest scenes provide some information to provide a background (e.g. room or immediate vicinity of the confrontation).
How Contest Entries are Judged
Entries are judged on:
- Adherence to Merreth’s appearance and the appearance of other characters in the scene
- Originality – although you may choose to illustrate a conflict that has already been depicted (for example, ‘Bitch Slap’), greater weight will be given to such illustrations that incorporate originality (for example if they done from a different vantage point and, of course, in your own style).
- Adherence to the description of the scene chosen
Entering Your Submission
To enter your art in the contest, post a comment under this Journal Entry
. Place the following pieces of information in the comment:
- The words “Contest Entry”
- The scene chosen
- The medium used
- A link to your gallery where you have placed the image; be sure to provide a link back to this contest page
As submissions are entered the will be placed into the Lady Merreth Contest II folder under LadyMerrethsAuthor favourites.
Contest GuidelinesWhen participating in the contest, please:
- Read Lady Merreth’s Character Bio
- Read Lady Merreth’s World
- Depict Merreth (and any other characters according to how they look in the story/bio)
- Follow DA guidelines for submissions
- Credit sources (stock, refs, etc.)
- Link back to the contest and group under your piece/submission
- Join the Lady Merreth Group
- By entering the contest you agree to abide by the Lady Merreth Permissions located on this DA page
Violence and gore are acceptable (although there isn’t very much of either in the posted chapters and stories).
You may enter on behalf of a friend if you like.
If you have any questions about anything (contest rules, characters, etc.), please note me or ask them in a comment.
Please do not:
• Make changes to characters’ appearances/costumes
- There are character depictions for Lady Merreth, Lady Simma, and Lady Tiandraa in the references folder. Each of these has been done by .
- In addition there are photo references for Lady Merreth, though please note that Lady Merreth has brown eyes, NOT blue as depicted in the photos
- *** Very Important *** Lady Merreth has an 'iconic' look. This look includes her outfit: hat, vest, gloves, breeches, boots and whip. Please be true to that look. That look is illustrated in this amazing character reference by :
You do not have to do any of the following but I would appreciate it if you would:
Want to get stuff without entering the contest? No problem!
I will gift DA points to every person who promotes the contest on their journal (with a link to the contest page), up to a maximum of 12 people (first come, first serve). The journal entry must “stay up” for a minimum of one (1) week and be exclusively devoted to the contest.
I will gift:
- 25 points to those with less than 50 watchers
- 50 points to those with more than 50 but less than 100 watchers
- 75 points to those with more than 100 watchers
You do not have to enter the contest in order to promote it.
People who enter the contest are eligible for the point gift if they promote the contest as well (up to the 12 person maximum).
Each person (up to the maximum of 12) can receive points only once for promoting the contest on their journal.Note me with a link to the journal entry and I will gift the points upon verifying the Journal entry.
Thank you to the following promoters: