Stock & Brush Use In General
- You always need to:
- Credit me & link back to THIS account. THIS account, not my main account. Reason: people tend to follow the link to look for stock when linked to an account in a stock list, but there is no stock on my main account! For linking on dA see FAQ #81: How can I create links to other deviants, deviations, or websites?.
- Please show me what you've done! You can note me or comment on the image or on my front page, I don't care. If you don't have a dA account, please e-mail me at kuschelirmel<at>gmail<dot>com. You can also rely on the dA mentions system, just remember that for this to work, my username must be linked either via :devkuschelirmel-stock:, :iconkuschelirmel-stock:. If you want to make sure I get your message and leave a fave, you are welcome to do this the old-fashioned way (comment or note).
- You are NEVER allowed to:
- Redistribute my stock, brushes or any other resources in any way - no matter how: alone or in packs, via Rapid-Share, Photobucket, µTorrent or simply by e-mail. As "stock" or wallpapers or in any other way. Link people to this account if you want to share!!!
- Create & share "stock from stock" (aka. premade backgrounds), brushes made using my stock, so-called tubes (cut out stock in png format) created using my stock, scrap-booking kits, etc. - even if they are offered for free! Reason: while you may give proper credit and tell your audience to credit me, too, people rarely do that and I end up with effectively no credits and on top of that no links will come to my inbox so I can see how my stock is used.
- Use my images without substantial alterations commercially - see extra rule about Commercial Use & Contest Submissions below.
Commercial Use & Contest Submissions Extra Rulesi.e. art to be sold or licensed (on prints, mugs, t-shirts, cd covers, book covers, advertising for companies that will earn money with their products, flyers for events that require an entrance fee etc) or that you are being paid to create (commissioned work, examples include book/cd covers, flyers, advertising) - with the payment being in the form of real life money, dA points or any other form of online-community-credits that are worth actual real life money - or for the submission in contests of any kind. This excludes the sale/production of resources with my stock - this is always prohibited!
- I need to see some substantial alteration or that my image is not the focus of your work if you want to make money with something that uses my stock.
You are not allowed to sell stock made from my resources (you are not even allowed to do that for free)!
- YOU CAN: use a texture to enhance your own photograph, use a brush to enhance your drawings, use a texture or stock image in the background of your drawing as long as the focus is (obviously) your drawing
- But YOU CAN'T just use a stock image of mine and enhance that with a filter or texture (= minor edit) and try to sell it or slap smily faces on my tomato stock (just an example) and then call it yours (goes for all kinds of "fun doodles");
- Putting images in diptychs/triptychs is NOT a substantial alteration, neither is adding text/a border etc or running any filters over it (even if you can barely recognize the image afterwards - that includes that fractalicious plug-in!) or simply changing colours or doing some retouching like removing phone-lines etc.
- IN PRINCIPLE: use more than one image and create something new -- sell your art, not my stock
More examples of what you can do with my stock:
- If you're not a manipulator but a painter (traditional or digital) or pixel artist or anyone who just wants some reference, go right ahead! I love to see what you make!
- You are allowed to use my stock on and off dA (incl. ponybox, flickr, rpg games, other forums of any kind) as long as my rules are followed.
- You can use my stock in educational projects (school, uni, college,..), promotional work for charity or artwork for charity auctions/fundraisers, favours for friends or family, birthday cards, family photo albums (scrap booking on a personal level), your own website/twitter/myspace/etc layout, dA Journal CSS for yourself/friends/installable CSS for everyone to use
- As long as you don't make money with it, you can go nuts retouching my images, playing with filters or whatever. Just DON'T upload that as photography because you didn't take the photo. It should go in Digital Art > Miscellaneous or if it's really rudimentary in your scraps. Again: as long as my rules are followed I may think "how unoriginal", but I will not tell you that it's crap and I will not want it removed - everybody starts somewhere and everyone should have the opportunity to practice. Unless you put it in photography (or othewise create the illusion you took the photo). Then I'll ask you to relocate it once and only if that is not followed I'll have dA or *insertwebsitehere* staff remove the image.
Sharing my Stock & Resources
- Lastly, if you want others to find my stock, link them to my page or use the nifty links all my deviations offer on the right-hand side. Same goes for if you want to include my stock on your blog or twitter it or share it via facebook or wherever. I'm completely cool with that (I even appreciate it ) as long as you point people towards this page, where they can also see my other stuff and where they can find my rules. Don't reupload my content - link people to this little cormer of the web!
Would you like to support me?If so, please consider becoming my Patron on Patreon: www.patreon.com/kuschelirmel
- What do I offer there? This is where I post behind-the-scenes stuff, like work in progress shots of my art, little tidbits about how I create my art and my stock, pre-releases of stock you can later find here for free or even for sale as well as exclusive patreon-only stock and resources.
- What do you need to do? You choose a plan for payment, i.e. how much you would like to donate per paid post that I create (not all posts will be paid posts, paid posts will be limited to max. 2 per month, but may also be none if I do not have time to update) and then you receive access to my Patreon only posts plus those up to your payment tier. For example, for 1USD per creation, you get access to behind the scenes stuff as well as stock pre-releases. If you pay more, there are exclusive rewards toed to that, for example, pre-releases of dA premium stock.
- I am new to Patreon myself, so my payment tiers and such are still subject to change until I find what works best for me AND for my patrons. Patrons are also more than welcome to interact with me through comments on the patron-only posts. I would very much like this to be a place where we can be a bit more personal than on dA (where the flood of messages can often bury me hopelessly...).
Exclusive Stock & Brushes
- My (older) exclusive stock can be found in this collection. It is stock uploaded in password-protected packs that can either be won in contests on dA, traded for other exclusive stock or bought (usually for something along the lines of 5 € - that's 7 $USD - via paypal or 600 Points via dA).
- On top of that, the password is not to be shared with anyone!
With the Premium Content system, there is also quite some low-budget single images, cut outs, premades etc. that are not freely available, but can be bought through dA's points system. You can find them in this collection.
If you are buying a lot of my stock, becoming a Patron (see above "Would you like to support me?") will make sense as well, since I will be (pre-)releasing quite some premium stock there, too, but only charge once or twice a month (but I plan on releasing more - also exclusive stock you will not find on dA later).
Special Rules for dA Journal and Gallery CSS
- My journal css templates come as two types: Journal/Gallery CSS templates, that you need to download, unzip and then follow the instructions to install manually, and Installable Journal CSS, that you can simply install by clicking the green button that says "Install to Journal" underneath. Please note that you can use these only if you are subscribed to dA.
- You are not allowed to alter the images provided in any way! Not for yourself, not for others. That means: no colour changes, no adding of brushes, filters, characters or whatever else - either you use the images the way they are or you make your own from scratch. They are not intended for stock use either!
- If you want to alter the journal code a little for yourself (for example, if you need more boxes or titles or a menu with links or...) while keeping the images provided, go ahead. If you want to exchange the images for something you made for your own journal, go ahead.
- My templates usually come with a credit line that I would like you to keep intact as long as you use the journal the way it is. My installable skins sometimes have a credit line that you can keep but do not have to as these journals automatically give credit and link back to the deviation.
- If you do make your own images and create a journal based upon one of mine (for your own use or for a friend), credit in the journal would be nice. If you altered the thing completely, a one-time mention of this account will do. If your layout still relies heavily on mine, a permanent credit would be appreciated.
- This should go without saying, but unfortunately it doesn't: Be so fair as to not enter css contests with one of my layouts or sell one of my layouts as "customized journal layout" or reupload one of my layouts as installable skin or template when all you did was swap the images (if you didn't even do that then you're a hopeless case anyway) - if you really make it your own, you can use my code to your heart's content, but pretending you did all the work when you couldn't even be bothered to change the colours will be a sure way to incite my wrath.
Special Rules for my Tutorials
- My tutorials are not to be reposted elsewhere, neither in part nor in full! I wrote them and I spend a heck of a lot of time on each, my only reward being the comments left on them. If they get reposted in forums or wherever, I get zero feedback. If you want to show others one of my tutorials, link them to the tutorial in question or to the collection or to my page - maybe they'll find something else worthy of their attention?! - or if you want to blog about it, you can use the embed function (under "Share" on the right side of each deviation page with "sharing enabled" which all of my devs do).
- I do not allow translations of my tutorials (because when I don't speak the language I cannot do a quality check)
P L E A S E
- If you have read all of this and are still unsure, feel free to contact me via note or e-mail (kuschelirmelgmailcom). But please for the love of my sanity, don't ask just to be asking because you feel it's polite or what not. Answering questions that are already answered here on a regular basis only serves to drive me insane (and make me irritable)!