Yesterday I finished quilting the border. I think I spent around four (4) hours on that. Then I started binding the edges. Today, I finished binding the edges and sewed them. Due to different fabric type, I was able to bind the edge using my sewing machine rather than do it by hand. Woo!
The reason I'm able to bind the edges quickly is because I leave the backing wider than the top, then trim it to 1", fold it over to meet the edge of the top and batting, and then fold it over the quilt edge. This is the webpage my quilting aunt sent me to that has very good photos and instructions on how to do it.
No completed photos yet. I need to
Finished quilting the inner squares last night. Feels good to write that. That means that there isn't that much left to do. Just need to quilt the border then I can bind the edges. I can bind it using the sewing machine. That'll be nice to switch back to for the end.
I've done a rough estimate on how long it has taken me to quilt the inner squares. 30-45 minutes for the 6" x 6" squares and 45-60 minutes for the 8" x 8" squares. Going with 30 minutes and 60 minutes with ten squares of each type (yay, averages), I worked on it for 15 hours. I think that it was less than that but that's an easy number to calculate. :)
Finished quilting around the blocks and actually did one of the inner squares of a block. 19 more to do. Then the border. Then I can do the binding. It is satisfying to have lots of progress.
I started quilting Wed., Aug. 2. Eight days to do what I've done. I'm making very good progress. :)