I am delving into a "controversial topic", although it shouldn't be controversial anyhow. Now I won't get into a scrap with you, if you are somewhat heavily involved with such subjects in a way that is supporting it. All that I ask is that you consider these points before taking an argument into the comments, and if you do not like me afterwards, you can simply unwatch or block.
TRIGGER WARNINGS: discussion on child porn, pedophilia, shotacon/lolicon, rape, abuse and molestation, without any explicit descriptions
Right, I've stayed up until 4am last night so sleep deprivation means that I'm getting weird drunk symptoms like swaying the hell everywhere so if something is written up weirdly, I am sorry but I am very tired
Time to tackle another topic. And of course, it has to be the ever-so controversial "shotacon" and "lolicon". Now you and I are no fools, we've been on the web enough to know what they are and what they involve, but just in case you don't know what it is, Wikipedia sums it up pretty good.
So, I've highlighted a few very important parts here. Now let's just lay all these points here in very big letters to let you know how very very bad it is:
- [DEPICTING OR DESCRIBING AN] ATTRACTION TO YOUNG OR PRE-PUBESCENT CHILDREN
- [DEPICTING OR DESCRIBING A] PRE-PUBESCENT OR PUBESCENT CHILD[REN] DEPICTED IN A SUGGESTIVE OR EROTIC MANNER
or we can just go unsugarcoat it and call it: pedophilia and child porn
Yeah, that's a very big leap for me to post this journal.
Why on earth are people... I don't even have any more words to say, but there are people out there actively drawing young... children, essentially, slap on explicit, pornographic art on them, and make a good couple bucks out of it. They may call it shotacon or they may call it lolicon, but that's just another word for, well, CHILD PORNOGRAPHY.
I can't begin to describe how appalling this is. Let's just forget about the content for a minute, because you can see that's clearly disgusting, but let's discuss the people who actively create it, consume it, and/or worst of all, defend the existence of it.
I don't want to write a ridiculously long paragraph but here's the summary of why it's very very bad:
- Grooming. It's used by perpetrators to groom children, by showing them instances/depictions of a child in sexual situations. Those targeted children are then eventually involuntarily subjected into anything that can range from trafficking, sexual abuse, rape, molestation... the list goes on.
- Normalizing child porn. These shota/loli mangas, they might not even depict it as rape. They might not even say "well I'm 9 and it's inappropriate for someone my age to do sexual stuff". Sometimes they don't even say "no" or "I don't want it". Sometimes they just go on and be depicted having sex someone their age or someone much, much scarily older. They depict it as "normal". And that lack of "this is wrong" thing, that's normalizing it. That's normalizing a child to submit something they don't have control over. Children inherently lack the power to give consent and that's the point blank of it. And by normalizing it, it means that these kind of contents end up on the front page uncensored where children can see it and they think it's normal because nobody is saying "no" or "this is wrong".
"People get sexually excited by something, then become used to it," says Tomo, who works behind the counter in one of the adult stores. "So they are always looking for something new, and get sexually excited by young, immature women."
This is what worries critics - the concern that even if no-one is harmed in the creation of sexually explicit manga, it might normalise, facilitate, or lead to an increased risk of sexual abuse.
- Supporting pedophilia or child porn. Consuming these images, ashamed or not, means that you're appropriating a child to be manipulated and taken control over. Children, who may have not developed concise definitions of right and wrong, for their yet-to-mature minds to be forced into something horribly disgusting. And by appropriating that, you might as well visit your local pedo what an absolutely wonderful work they're doing, making children succumb against their will.
The argument of it is that, people who consume these kinds of things, they say, "well, it's just fiction! It can never hurt anybody!". Again, to quote the wonderful (well, horrifying) BBC article I've found:
"Everyone knows that child abuse is not a good thing," Hide says. "But having that kind of emotion is free, enjoying imagining some sexual situation with a child is not prohibited."
His candour takes me by surprise. He then introduces me to the word "Lolicon", short for "Lolita complex" - the name for manga featuring young girls engaged in sexually explicit scenarios. It can involve incest, rape and other taboos, though Hide's tastes lie more with high-school romance.
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
Fans like Hide argue they are just enjoying harmless fantasy. No child models or actors are involved, he says, so "there is no child abuse for creating sexual topic mangas.
I personally DO NOT GIVE ONE DAMN if it's fiction or nonfiction. There's the content: pedophilia, child porn. Regardless of it being fiction or not, you support it. Therefore, you support pedophilia, childporn, and probably a plethora of other things because they usually involve rape, abuse and other things on top of that. REGARDLESS of NOT SUPPORTING child abuse in real life, you still condone it in fiction because you believe "it is only fantasy" or "imagination" or "fiction". Maybe you'd like to tell your friend, or teacher, or family member or ANYONE ELSE and say: "Hey, I support fictional child porn". How ridiculous do you sound? Let's see what they say next.
Lastly, before I close this journal, I'd like to address something else:
Taken from the shotacon Wikipedia:
It can also apply to postpubescent (adolescent or adult) characters with neotenic features that would make them appear to be younger than they are.
I've seen a lot of people trying to counter the child porn thing by saying "well, the characters are 18+". It's very hard to differentiate between ero-kawaii and "aged-up shotacon/lolicon" because people tend to run to the "Well they're 18+, and it's only depicted as cute characters! You don't like cute stuff? You're saying you want to ban cute stuff?". No, I am not trying to say I want to ban someone being depicted cute.
You know what that is? Simulated child porn
. That's word for, child porn, but everyone is adults. There's a reason why it has it's own article and its own laws
. Why is this still bad? Because you rely on the fact that the characters depicted look like children
. You might think that's a very big reach, but there's a reason why it's banned in the majority of countries. Because it's made to look like child porn
, but people can run off the excuse that it's "18+, fools!". It's a flimsy excuse that people use to say that they consume content that contains childlike appearance. So in essence, in very big bold letters so you can understand it clearer:
Simulated child pornography is child pornography depicting what appear to be minors but it's made without the involvement of minors themselves. It's a flimsy excuse that people use to say that they consume content that contains childlike appearance, which inherently relies on the fact that they're made to look like children.
I am very tired of child porn, pedophilia, sexual abuse and rape being depicted and normalized left and right, regardless whether it's real-life, fiction or fantasy. It's bad. It's unacceptable. I don't even mean the depiction of it as a story plot advancement, not for enjoyment/consumption and very clearly painted as wrong (which is still on thin ice, unless done properly). People get off to what's essentially child porn and it's ridiculous. I'm not even going to go to the concepts of people who consume it as a coping mechanism or it's the only apparent way to live in the midst of this society's economy. If you consume and/or support shotacon/lolicon, you're supporting childporn, that's it. End of story.
TL;DR: Shotacon/lolicon is child porn. The fact that it's fictional is no excuse.