So, none of this excuses them from stealing other people's artwork and passing it off as their own.
1. It's against the rules of DeviantArt, and can get them sued. 'Someone else did it' is not going to fly in real life.
2. If you're that lazy, don't pretend to be an artist.
3. If they're that desperate, they can keep it to themselves. I want a Picasso. If I tried to steal it, and pass it off as my own or 'credit to the original artist', I'd still get arrested.
4. You're defending someone for being greedy and jealous, rather than actually being a good friend and calling them out on it. You're not a good friend.
5. Your friend is STILL STEALING ARTWORK AND PASSING IT OFF AS THEIR OWN.
Also, this was... how long ago? I only check this website rarely, since I get enough 10 year old whining at my actual teaching job. Bye.