I completely remodeled this to reduce the number of polygons in order to get my older system to be able to render this without running out of memory. I cheated some of the geometry and eliminated nearly all of the geometry that I thought would not be visible or would not affect the shadows noticeably. By modeling the forklift as subpatches instead of flat polygons I achieved an approximate 99% reduction in polys which translated to roughly 50% reduction in polys rendered.
I designed the material handling containers using similar methods to keep the poly counts low enough to render. For the containers I used flat polys.
I bumped up the reflectivity on the main lego surfaces to add more visual interest. I also increased the lighting in the scene by adding several more area lights hoping to get more of the details of the geometry to show.
I would have like to get better antialiasing with the depth-of-field, but I compromised in order to be able to render the scene in hours rather than days.
have you heard of the plug in called legoizer, it turns objects into lego models.
i have it somewhere it's a free plugin.
well what do you know i found it right away.
works on all sorts of stuff, i played around with it, it's fun.
try radiosity on your images... area maps are great, you know you can scale them right.
Nice containers, BTW.