Applying this to ICONs:
DA wants 50x50 Avatars under 15K in size though 100x50 30K is allowed for groups?
This is an extreme limit for a animated GIF and usually limits to 4-7 frames. That will vary with detail in the frames quite a lot. Less complex backgrounds tend to be smaller as well and Text is also very small in file size. Text on the ICON is limited for readability so you will need to play with fonts and sizes until you find one that looks good.
Here is more detail on how to make quality GIFs
1) Have a good idea of what scene you are looking for.
2) Locate a usable source file such as AVI or VOB that VirtualDUb can take frames out of. This is better than a Screenshot as it is an exact frame copy of the original.
3) Open that file in VirtualDub and locate the Start of the Scene you want.
4) Click 'Edit' 'Selection Start'
5) Locate the End of the Scene
6) Click 'Edit' 'Selection End' and you have the range of frames selected
Now the hard part starts!
If you are planning for an Av