(Above: an example of what the new $7 Artbook tier contains, in addition to access to $3 rewards)
It's been five months since I opened a page at Patreon, so I've had time to test how I go about uploading rewards and see what approach seems best. One of the first things I've adjusted was to eventually unlock the rewards for the two lower tiers ($1 and $5) over a set period of time. This way, non-patrons wouldn't be permanently locked out of the bonus content, as per my general philosophy of wanting to keep my art as accessible as possible for everyone.
But over time, putting in the extra effort into making these rewards feels like it's slowing me down. Instead of being able to move on to my next art project in queue right away, I need to spend a bit more time to come up with extra content (also, it would have been nice if more patrons actually benefited from this extra effort).
The middle reward tier in particular was actually the most time-consuming. Making a step-by-step compilation (plus an animated gif) of every finished drawing takes a while, and I think things will go more smoothly if I had an alternative such as simply offering an optimized .psd copy or something. As for bonus 360 turnaround videos for 3D models, this now seems a little redundant since I've opened a Sketchfab account
where everyone can now view the 3D models in realtime.
So from here, I'm revising the reward tiers as follows:Tip Jar
- A virtual tip jar for those who just want to lend a bit of support. Every little bit helps!Sketchbook
($3, combines previous $1 and $5 rewards and averages the price)
- Early access to sketches for upcoming works
- Other bonuses like screenshots and behind-the scenes development sketches.
- (New) Additionally, this tier will now get the full resolution transparent line art rewards from the former middle tier.Artbook
($7, originally $10)
- Access to all rewards from the previous tier.
- Full resolution versions of finished 2D artworks
- Higher resolution 3D renders.
- (New) .PSD and .XCF files compatible with Photoshop and GIMP for 2D artworks (offered at around the same resolution as DeviantArt/Twitter uploads) in leiu of the previous step-by-step compilations from the former middle tier. Example shown above.
It is somewhat discouraging that the Patreon page is off to a really slow start, but I get that it's because I'm not focused on any one thing at the moment. More successful campaigns offer something concrete like a webcomic, a podcast or a video series (or straight up NSFW versions behind a paywall, but I really
don't want to go there
That's where the "Game Gals" project could come in, as I mentioned in one of my previous journals: [Pixiv + Tentative Project]
I'm also considering a "Your Character Here" reward tier. If I manage to draw maybe a dozen bases, patrons will be able to pick one per month and I'll draw a character of their choosing (OC or other existing character) as either
a pony or a critter. Here's Niki as an example:
Though that's just a tentative idea for now. But would any of you be interested in a reward tier like this?