3 min read

Deviation Actions

jconway's avatar
I am hereby making up a new word: Palaeontography - the representation of old life.

:iconnyctopterus: - My other account.
:iconpaleoartists: - Palaeoartists group.

"Palaeoart" (a term used for art representing fossil life forms) means "old art". This is undeniably silly, because much of it is brand-new. The word comes from jamming together 'palaeontology' ("study of old life") and 'art' in an incoherent fashion. Really, it should be "palaeontoart", which means "old life art", but which unfortunately sounds silly.

So, I've been thinking, and I think I'm going to found the new field of palaeontography, and call myself a palaeontographer. Rolls of the tongue, and gets rid of "art" in the word, which is English, and sounds less professional and mysterious.

Palaeontographer I am then.

Palaeoartists on DA:
Andalgalornis fanthome-derecho aspidel Beast-of-Chaos briankroesch chasmosaur AlainBeneteau Gondolendian Hairen Hotherym jeffquinn Khaan little-al MattMart Outlier tuomaskoivurinne Qilong Red-Dilopho Sainte-Vincient danieljoelnewman TarryAGoat unlobogris
© 2005 - 2024 jconway
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
AlainBeneteau's avatar
It works fine in french also, paléontographe, ou paléontographiste. (because "graphe" sounds a bit like the name of a machine).