Sometimes we find that, in an already rendered fractal, there is an interference between the fractals and a plane, resulting in a fractal that seems to have been cut (fig. 1). There are at least three ways to avoid this:
- A. Activating "In and Outside" rendering. This is what I did when I didn't know much about MB3D. It is very slow. Can easily duplicate the time of a fractal because have to render both sides. The description itself of the inside mode is "slow raymarching on the inside with maximum iterations".
- B. Avoiding the "cut surfaces" by walking in or out (remember to tick first, "Fixed zoom and steps"(!), or changing iterations, etc. In resume, using 3D Navi. This is most of the times the better solution.
- C. We can re-calculate those parts of the image.
And this what I want to explain in this simple tutorial. Sometimes you can't avoid those "cut surfaces" by using 3D navi, or it is unconfortable to do (you already have everything done etc), or even you realize when you see the image rendered (that can happen often when the 3D navi has a very foggy preview).
It is preferible to do this before calculating lights and this kind of things. If not, is preferible to save your m3i before recalculating the image because it changes the lights (I usually mix the images in GIMP, one with good lights, one without cut surfaces). [For further info, see this comment of GraphicLia].
- 0. We have already rendered the image we want, but there are several "cut surfaces".
- 1. So, we go to the Formula window and we select "In and outside" (Fig. 2).
- 2. We go to the "Post processing window" and we select "Recalculate selection" and "Enable". If we already have calculated lights we press "Don't change AmbSh+dFog" although in my experience sometimes the lights/colours change anyway so that's why doing this before aplying shadows.
- 3. Then we go to our image and select the part we want to recalculate and press "Calculate". Is better to not make enormous selecctions and if we have a point in other part of the image, do the calculation separatedly.
- 4. After doing two calculations, this is the final image
This recalculate tool can be used in multiple situations like very grainy images too or artifacts.
An index of all of my DeviantArt works
English (más abajo en Español) I've been correcting some of my deviations and putting them into this list. At the moment it encompasses my 2446 deviations published so far. If a deviation has an article in my wiki, then it will appear a golden link. If not, will appear either (??) (that means, the deviation has no lore associated with it) or a red link. Most of the links are in Spanish only but Google Translate is useful. Anyway, if you leave comments in the wiki saying "I am interested in this" or "I would like to see this article in English" I'll definitely translate them. Thank you!! Español He estado corrigiendo algunas de mis deviations y poniéndolas en esta lista. En el momento actual engloba mis 2446 deviations publicadas hasta ahora. Si una desviación tiene un artículo en mi wiki, aparecerá un enlace dorado. Si no, aparecerá (??) (es decir, la deviation no tiene lore asociado) o un enlace rojo. La mayoría de los enlaces están solo en español. Se agradecen los
PONG anyone? (again)
UPDATE, post-eclipse Pongorama The previous version was published just before I was without internet for two entire months. Then my computer broke, got bad mood, uninspired and other personal things... Anyway, due the covid I am collaterally now again full in touch with dA... (or what is left, yeah) so, I wonder if we could do another pong between more than two people. And one that actually starts. I hope all of you to stay safe and well during these hard times, I wish you the best. Alberto (Jakeukalane) PREVIOUS
Journal of Journals
I have been several years thinking about a feature that shows energy, forces and power plants. I had over 500 works spreaded in several journals, but the attack of Eclipse forces me to publish now another feature formed faster (is easier with the previous experience). In first place, if you work is in any of these journals and you think it doesn't fit with the section, I am sorry. The divisions are limited. Also, sometimes I reinterpret the meaning of some fractals or works, and I think than that is the beauty of fractals. Hope you enjoy it!! Pure Energy Atomic (or subatomic) Energy Plants I Energy plants II and Accumulators Nuclear pl