Eeep May 19th... I fail at updating this and have to admit I have been putting it on the back burner. I have a bunch of photos to add and slowly putting my icons into batches to add as well. I had a very busy summer with resitting a uni class and working at the uni part time. I'm now in my third year, first year of honours, and while there have been quite a few hiccups I'm getting on ok.
There will be updates here and there, so keep an eye out but things will be slow.
I also want to point you all to apparate who very kindly made me my gorgeous jaded lion avatar Please go check out her work as she has some gorgeous free avatars you can use as well as taking requests from time to time.
The last few days I've been desperately adding the rest of the photos from Budapest last August and my visit to Kew Gardens in April. I go on holiday tomorrow which means more photos so I wanted to get everything else posted up before I go. I'm heading to Majorca, specifically Alcudia which has a very nice old town
I'm now officially finished with Uni for year two which is a big relief. My exams were close together again and at the beginning of the exam period, so it was over pretty early for me. I've no idea how I've done in the exams; no fails that's for sure but to get into Honours for year 3 & 4 I need a specific grade in English Literature. So please cross your fingers for me
I also had some amazing news - I GOT ACCEPTED TO STUDY CREATIVE WRITING NEXT YEAR!
This is the first time I've had to provide a writing portfolio and that anyone academic has responded to my creative writing. So very happy and feeling a lot more confident!
As always my road was paved with good intentions and instead I have really slacked. In all fairness though I have been quite ill. I'm only just starting to feel back to normal (as 'well' as my normal is) so I haven't been able to get out to take many photos. I've mainly been doing University work and website work. I still have a bunch of photos from Budapest to upload and some old and new web designs, then there's also my icons which I want to add at some point. Lots to do! Thankfully I have a week and a half left of Uni and then it's Easter and exams. As long as I don't have any resits this year I should have a free summer.
Plenty of photo opportunities are coming my way again, starting at the end of this month and continuing through the summer. I'm visiting family and friends in London and I am determined to use the annual pass I won for Kew Gardens before it expires. I then have two holidays during the summer and a wedding, plus whatever else we fit in. I want to get some more textures and some more traditional art done. I haven't even had a chance to use my graphics tablet because I've been so bloody sick I think I will take one day once exams are over and just lock myself away from the computer and force myself to practise art.
Distant Fantasies Group!
Most of the website work I have been doing recently has been for my online RPG resource Distant Fantasies. I've been recruiting staff, advertising, updating all over the place. I am very proud of the new forum skin which took me several days of headache inducing experiments with coding. You can view the skin here.
The forum hosts a Resource Collection for RPGs and it seemed pointless to make a list of DA resources when I could just make a group.
So hey presto:
Please join/watch, pass it on and submit resources! The group is aimed at resources that can be used off of DA for forums and websites, so it will also be a great resource for website and graphics as well. Brushes, Textures, Stock images, pixels, icons, layout templates and so much more
You can also get your RPGs, groups, accounts and websites listed by replying to this journal entry
2013 brings a few new things for me. Namely I treated myself to a premium membership and I also have a graphics tablet. I am, however, too ill to actually make use of the damn thing right now Long time cough, sore throat, trouble breathing... not good. I've not been at Uni but have been able to keep up to date with my work. Being stuck at home is good for something.
It's also let me spend some time playing with premium features such as journal skins and tidying up my profile.
If you would like to get your work or group featured all you need to do send me a note or leave me a comment
I am also joining in the Elf Wish List Project (submit your wish list to them) and putting wish lists in a folder at the top of my favourites folder. So if you have a holiday wish list/journal entry feel free to leave me a comment with it and I'll add it
As you have guessed; I bloody love secret santas. I even ran a few in my previous World of Warcraft guild The one thing that I don't like about Secret Santa is that it's only once a year and at such a busy period at that. So I gave in to an idea and came up with this:
An online gift exchange similar to Secret Santa!
The emphasis here is on helping each other and sharing the love in ways that don't involve actual money. Gifts could include icons, wallpapers, website layouts, art, beta reading, fanfic, help with homework, help in an MMO like World of Warcraft or helping someone spread the word about a new website, etsy shop or portfolio. The possibilities are endless!
We run on a quarterly system which means we have a sign up every 3 months, starting from January 2013. This is an exchange so all members are expected to be a gifter as well as a gift recipient.
Find out more at The Great Gift Exchange and spreading the word would be much appreciated as I'm trying to get the whole internet community involves; fanlisting owners, website owners, iconers, roleplayers, artists, and so forth.
The other is the same as holiday wishes but based here on DA (clickie to go to the original post!) and here are the details!
Make a post in your dA journal (the manual INCLUDED - I wont grant any wishes, if I see no manual). The post should contain your list of 10 holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fandom-related ("I'd love a Snape/Hermione icon that's just for me") to medium ("I wish for _____ on DVD") to really big ("All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV.") The important thing is, make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
If you wish for real-life things (not fics or icons), make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it's your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) could get in touch with you.
Surf around your friends list (or friends friends, or just random journals) to see who has posted their list. And now here's the important part:
If you see a wish you can grant, and it's in your heart to do so, make someone's wish come true. Sometimes someone's trash is another's treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don't want or a gift certificate you won't use--or even know where you could get someone's dream purebred Basset Hound for free--do it.
You needn't spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn't to put people out, it's to provide everyone a chance to be someone else's holiday elf--to spread the joy. Gifts can be made anonymously or not--it's your call.
There are no rules with this project, no guarantees, and no strings attached. Just...wish, and it might come true. Give, and you might receive. And you'll have the joy of knowing you made someone's holiday special.
1) Art featuring my World of Warcraft Characters – I would love to have art work featuring my World of Warcraft characters. The game has been going for 8 fricking years now so I have a very close relationship with them, especially my main character Kaelea and my main alt Aleassa. I have an obsession with taking screenshots so there's plenty to use for reference over here. Art can be any media; pencil, paint, digital, pixel etc. Both characters tend to be quite sassy, and if you want to know any more please just ask!
2) Icons/Avatars – I love icons (100x100 pixels for LJ/forums or pixel art for deviant art) I'd love any for my favourite things/fandoms, which you can find by browsing my website. I'd also really love some quote icons using my favourite quotes; best place to find them is my goodreads profile.
3) E-books – I'm a disabled student studying two literature courses and e-books are a blessing as I can't carry heavy books around all day. Any books on my 'to read' list or any urban fantasy/fantasy/supernatural books you think I might like would also be extremely appreciated!
4) Postcards, magnets and key rings – I collect all of these and so any weird/wonderful ones or from local places would be awesome.
5) Amazon Wish List – I have a smaller specific list I've given to friends and family, so everything else got thrown together to make this list hence why it's so long.
6) Some love – I'll be more specific New buddies on livejournal or twitter would be great. I'd love to meet some new people. A small warning though; I suffer from depression and other health problems so if you're put off by these etc. then probably best not to add me.
7) Deviant Art watchers, faves and general love – I've been working all year on adding stuff to DA and updating it with new photography. So any new watchers, faves, group submission/requests, comments, recommendations to friends/family etc. = awesome and will make me smile My account is here.
8) Link back buttons for some sites - I've opened a few new sites recently and would love to have some link back buttons or banners made for them. Namely Ruby-Wings.net, Ruby Plugs and Ruby Wings Listings
9) Help Spreading the word about the Great Gift Exchange! – The Great Gift Exchange is a new site I've opened which works a lot like this Elf Exchange and Secret Santa. However, it's 4 times a year and is only open to gifts that are free and involve time and effort not money. I want to spread this around the entire internet and every type of community so help doing this would be much appreciated! You can find buttons and banners here which you can put up on your profile, websites, signatures, groups - any where
10) Invisible illness awareness – I'm someone who looks healthy on the outside, but really I'm in pain and feeling like crap. This is called an invisible illness and one of my goals in life is to spread the word about it. I talk openly and honestly about my health problems and hope one day that people will be understanding rather than judgemental. So next time you see a young person sitting in disabled seat, or someone who looks healthy says they're really not well; remember that disabilities and illnesses come in all shapes and forms. Don't judge someone because they're too ill to go out, or they keep blowing you off. In today's society we're almost taught to automatically believe the worst, not to recognise what's going on beneath the surface.
Wishes I'm Working On
Wishes Received From
(If I've missed anyone please let me know! My brain has been in exam mode + plagued with a sinus infection which makes me go doolalley so I have probably missed someone without meaning to!)
Here's the list of what to expect!
1) Crystals - I took these months and months ago but haven't had a chance to upload them.
2) Holiday in south of Spain - We visited Benalmadena and at one stage walked to Fuengirola - never again but it was a great photo opportunity!
3) Wedding / Road Trip - My best friend haleywatson got married at the end of July! So cjbankier and I took a road trip from Glasgow to London. We actually ended up crossing 4 country borders in the whole trip. From Glasgow we went to Blackpool, then to South Wales to a lovely village called Machynlleth where we stayed the night. It was a gorgeous place which we hope to visit again in the future as we didn't have much time to explore. Our next port of call was a farm in Oxford where we picked our own fruit (and I got some awesome photos) and finally onto London. In London I had the opportunity to take photos of lots of flowers as my mum designing the flowers for the wedding and I had access to her garden and the neighbours' garden as she was looking after their cats. So yes there are lots of cat photos as well! Six different cats in total; 4 from my parents house and 2 from the neighbours. On the way back from London we stopped at Trentham Gardens in Stoke-on-Trent and although we didn't get time to visit the actual gardens there are some photos from the lovely little shopping village there.
4) Roses - I spent some more time in my mother-in-law's garden a few weeks ago and took some photos of many roses and other various plants.
5) Lochgoilhead - Finally last Tuesday cjbankier took me to one of his favorite places which he's been wanting to take me to for 5 years now. It's a village called Lochgoilhead and the scenery on the way is amazing. I didn't even notice the one track road dropping away on both sides (and I'm terrified of heights!) because I was in such awe of the landscape. Some of these photos aren't top quality, not straight and most definitely blurry as they were taken while driving. But I want to share the beauty of nature I got to see, including a small glimpse of the most gorgeous and vivid rainbow we've ever seen. Sadly it was on the drive home so taking pictures was near impossible but I managed to grab a few with my phone.
So a lot coming up!
I also want to welcome my friend Haley to DA, she's an amazing jewelery designer and you can view her work at TheWorldSoul so please do check her gallery out! She uses natural stones/crystals so if you loved my crystal work you'll love her style.
The whole point of this entry though is to go SQEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! You might notice there's been a name change, that is thanks to the lovely and amazing MagicalCherry who offered a months premium membership in a competition. I was incredibly lucky to be selected!
Once I've woken up a bit more I will have an explore and see what I can do with this awesome gift
I've done some more crystals as well so will be adding them in the next week or so
After exams I'm going to be in Spain for our holiday. We'll be visiting the Costa del Sol so looking forward to some R & R, sun, awesome food and photo ops! The fun summer doesn't end there as my best friend ( haleywatson ) is getting married! I'm one of her bridesmaids so that will be great, I haven't been one since I was 10. This will be my fourth outing as a bridesmaid It also means I'll be back home in South East London to visit friends and family, so more photo ops including my parent's awesome garden - home to many beautiful plants courtesy of my mum, four cats and an awesome pond full of beautiful fish including koi carp.
I am amazed at the amount of favorites I've gotten so far, I even have a comment! And I've only just uploaded this stuff Thank you very much and I will go around thanking each one of you personally. To have my work appreciated is an amazing feeling so thank you very much, you made this girl smile today