17th June 2007 UPDATE - Version 1.2 available
Better wallpaper support, new search and filter capabilities.
Get it from dA here: [link] or directly from my website: [link]
Welcome to the next installment in the Devabulator Series - Devabulator 0.8 BETA.
Devabulator allows you to select any Category and Subcategory
of Deviations here on Deviantart and displays their thumbnails sequentially in the widget. Devabulator 0.8 retains existing functionality of obtaining the list of popular wallpaper as well. The thumbnails will cycle every X seconds (or not at all if you so desire). Clicking the thumbnail will take you to the deviation page.
*You can force an image switch at any time by clicking the deviantART icon at the top of the widget.*
Thanks to CrisVector [link]
again for consenting to the use of his fantastic Fantastic Four piece for the screenshot
What's New in this version:
Primarily, the ability to have Devabulater cycle through devations in a specified category. You don't have to make do with only the most popular wallpaper. You can choose the category, subcategory, sorting order (newest first, oldest first, top favorites) and you can specify the offset at which the browsing begins. Offsets are remembered for each category, so you can switch categories and continue where you left off.
To select your category and subcategory, simply bring up the context menu in Devabulator (right click the widget). Minor issue: If the menu does not appear, left click devabulator and then right click (See BETA note at the bottom).
You can also press 'N' to switch to the next image instead of clicking the deviantART icon.
+Browse order: Select wheter you'd like to browse in Newest First, Oldest First or Top Favorites order - just like deviantART.
+Deviation offset: Set the offset at which deviations are to be fetched.
+Increment offset automatically: Keeping this on will ensure that you keep browsing new deviations, otherwise Devabulator will continually cycle through the 24 deviations available from the current offset.
+Use internal categories file: Keep this on unless deviantART adds or removes categories and subcategories.
Preferences retained from version 0.5:
* Variable image switch delay (enter 0 to inhibit switching)
* Random or sequential mode (affects the thumbnail ordering). Random mode is only available for the "Populare Wallpaper" category.
* Minimalistic mode (thumbnail is 100 pixels wide instead of 300 pixels - see inset in Preview image)
* Open full view (open the full view page instead of the deviation page on click)
- Adult filter (REMOVED until I find a better way of enforcing this)
* Abitlity to disable the background window
* Change the color of the background window to suit your desktop
If you experience difficulty moving the widget around, keep the CTRL key pressed before attempting to drag with the mouse.
Requirements: You need Konfabulator, now known as Yahoo! Widgets
(widget system for Windows and the Mac) to use this widget. To get Konfabulator, go here [link]
Note: This is *not* an Official deviantART widget
Previous version 0.5: [link]
1) The popup menus used to select the category and subcategory are sort of a Konfabulator hack. You need to have "left clicked" Devabulator once
before they start appearing. I'm looking out for a better UI now.
2) The new changes are pretty involved, would be nice to have you guys send me feedback on what works, what does not and what you'd like to see.
3) I read that deviantART might change it's browsing interface, if this happens, I'll need to change the extension (just a bit, I hope!)