Hello everyone! In November, a change was made as part of a larger ongoing revamp in how image hosting and processing is handled here on DeviantArt. However, as part of the process, some complications arose that have taken longer to address than previously hoped, and as such we wanted to provide some transparency on the matter.
First and foremost, thank you for your bug reports and comments with regard to these recent changes! The feedback that we've received has helped us nail down some of the primary issues that have needed attention. To clarify also, as it came up in a number of comments: the image processing changes are unrelated to DeviantArt Eclipse. As the timing of both overlapped, we fully understand that it might have seemed that the issues created by the image processing changes were connected to Eclipse, but we do want to reassure you that they are separate projects.
While some specific fixes are still in the works at this particular moment in time, here are a list of some of the things that have been addressed/are in the process of being fixed:
- When clicking the "Download" button on a deviation with downloads enabled and saving the image from there, the title of the deviation and the deviant's username were not included in the file name. (Fixed as of January 4th)
- There are quality issues when displaying some JPG files on site currently.
- On this topic, some deviants have noted that some PNG files are being converted to JPG files. This has been a regular procedure on DeviantArt in the past to keep page load times low in situations where multiple images are displayed at dimensions smaller than the original uploaded image. Fixing the quality issues with displaying JPG files will hopefully mitigate these concerns.
- Some particularly large files aren't being resized properly.
- Links to images stored in Sta.sh stop working after a certain amount of time, even when the image is still stored in a deviant's Sta.sh.