As many of you know, this is National Novel Writing Month
-- but I'm co-opting the idea to finish the scripts for my graphic
novel "The Witchwood" and I'm calling it my Na(Gra)NoWriMo!
When November 1st hit, I realized how exciting an opportunity NaNoWriMo is for building and maintaining momentum. With my Year of the Pitch officially starting at the beginning of 2012, but work starting a bit early, the timing was just too perfect. (In fact, I have promised Magneticcrow
a script by December 1st.)
The typical NaNoWriMo word count is 50,000 words. After some quick napkin math-- UPDATED (and not looking as good)
the series outline is about 3,000 words, an issue outline is about 1,000 words, and 32 comic pages worth of script are about 7,000 words. This puts the entire graphic novel in the 30,000 to 35,000 range at best. Originaly I thought it would be about 55,000 which would put the full script for the graphic novel in perfect NaNoWriMo territory. Instead, I may need to pad things out with pitch/submission documentation, a cover letter, or maybe even a supplemental short story.
As part of ensuring I finish this project, I'm using the possibility of public shame as a self-motivator. In other words, I'm saying here that I'm going to do this, and I'm posting regular progress updates to show whether I'm keeping up.
In addition, I encourage others to try doing the same. Short stories, first issues, and one-shots are great, but finishing the complete scripts for a graphic novel or mini-series is an important learning experience and one I am sure will be very satisfying. Plus, I don't want to be in this alone!Progress Log:Day 1
: (Included some previous work) Revised general documentation such as characters, issue-by-issue outline, setting and concept notes. Now totals 2000+ words
of the target 1,667.Day 2
: Further revisions. Full page-by-page outline of Issue 1. Scripted first five pages (opening scene). Now totals 4000+ words
of the target 3,334.Day 3:
Wrote the second scene, script for six pages. Some small touch ups and fixes here and there. Started the third scene, script for nine more pages. (Issue 1 scripted up to page 20 out of 32.) Now at 7,000+
words of the target 5000.Day 4:
Finished the third scene, script for ten more pages. Finished the closing scene, script for three pages. More touch ups and clarifications, and went back to add (limited) dialogue/captions. Now at 10,001
words of the target 6,667. The first draft of the entire script for "The Witchwood" Issue #1 is done
! (Also, I wrote ahead enough to still be on track if I don't get another chance to write this weekend.)Days 5-7:
Because of plans over the weekend, I didn't get much done-- but with that in mind, you'll notice I had already gotten ahead. Over the weekend, plus tonight, I did the following: The page-by-page outline of Issue #2 (Autumn), the first scene, plus the first page of the next scene-- The script for four pages total. Now totals 12,946 words
of the target 11,667.Day 8:
Still on track! (Though alas, still averaging 200 words per comic page.) Wrote up to Page 15 of Issue 2, almost finishing the big second scene. Now totals 14,417 pages
of the target 13,333.Day 9:
Still on track, even cutting out early to catch an Adam WarRock concert at my local comic shop! Wrote up to Page 25 of Issue 2, finishing the third scene. (So I wrote the script for 10 pages in a day.) Now totals 16,182 words
of the target 15,000.Days 10-13
: Things were tough after a crazy work-week and a busy weekend, but a big push on Sunday got me back on track! I have outlined issue 3, and written up to page 19. Sprinting to over 4,600 words in a single day brings me up to 22,099 words
out of the target 21,666!Day 14
: Still on track! I have now written up to page 31 of Issue 3. (Yes, one short page to go until I start the last issue.) Writing 1,859 words today brings me up to 23,958 words
out of the target 23,333!