I missed a month, but I'll double down for March! He's the latest update on some mags. I tried to do a wide range of payments and types.
Confused about what magazine to go for? Need help decoding the jargon? Check out our Publishing Primer:
A Publishing PrimerYou asked for it, so you got it!
Based on this poll, you, our community, want to know more about Publishing. We will be posting publishing opportunities around about every month, now, specifically for literary magazines. But what does that mean for a novice who has never submitted before?
Let me break it down for you.
There are tons of lit mags out there, journals, reviews, and small presses. Some are more reputable than others. So the first step is
Find Your Market
The market is the audience you are targeting, so you should have an idea of your genre (sci fi is great but what type? Hard, soft, etc?) and the demographic of your audience (young? old? between? all of the above?) But even if you get it narrowed down there can be a veritable mountain of places to submit to which can get confusing. There are a few great sites that compile markets and magazines into an easy to searc
Black Fox Summer Issue Submissions
Black Fox Literary Magazine is a print and online biannual publication featuring quality fiction of all styles and genres, poetry, and nonfiction. Our Summer issue is published the last week in July, and the Winter issue is published the last week in January.
Black Fox Magazine
is looking for a prose, poetry, non fic of almost all genres that follow their submission guidelines.
Prose: up to 5,000 words. Poetry: no more than 5 poems in one doc.
Electronic Subs only, NO Reprints, NO Multiple Subs, Simultaneous Subs OK.
Deadline: May 29, 2017 for summer submission period.
The Perils of Populism
Making sense of why we are in this populist moment – what it feels like, where it might lead, and what we can learn from the past – is the ambition of this edition. Its range is wide – political, economic, social, personal, environmental, cultural.
- The Griffith Review is looking for articles, essays, and short stories from 2,500-5,000 words on the theme detailed on their website.
- Electronic Subs only, NO Reprints, NO Simultaneous Subs, NO Multiple Subs.
- Deadline: April 21, 2017
- Payment: Negotiated by word count.
- See their website for more details.
An 18th Wall Production
Their Coats All Red is seeking strange stories which are steeped in the history of the British Empire from about 1880 to 1905. These must be tales which capture the feel of the high Victorian era. We don’t want stories of the Empire itself—we want stories of the weirdness underneath. Ghosts, spirits, madness and monstrosities are all welcome.
- Their Coats All Red Anthology is looking for short stories, novellas, novellettes on the theme of their current project.
- Short Stories: 4,000-7,500 words. Novelette: 7,500-15,000 words. Novella: 15,000-16,000 words.
- Electronic Subs only, NO Reprints, NO Multiple Subs , Simultaneous Subs ?.
- Deadline: April 15, 2017.
- Payment: 5% of gross profit.
- See their websitefor more details.
Helios Quarterly Magazine
Helios Quarterly Magazine aims to publish quality fiction, poetry, non-fiction, and art that illuminates the darkness. HQM wants stories and poems that grab a hold of reader from the opening lines all the way to the finish line. Works that push boundaries, are succinct, and well developed are smiled upon.
- Helios Quarterly is looking for short stories, novellas, articles, essays, and poetry on the theme of their current project.
- Short Stories/Articles/Essays: up to 5,000 words. Novelette: 7,500-10,000 words. Poetry: up to 100 lines. Flash Fiction either exactly 100 words or between 500-1,000 depending.
- Electronic Subs only, NO Reprints, NO Multiple Subs , Simultaneous Subs OK.
- Subbing Info: Submissions do NOT open until April 1, 2017.
- Payment: Semi-pro to Pro payment by line or by wordcount.
- See their websitefor more details.