I know I haven’t updated my journal in a year and I need to change that. However, the reason why I am writing tonight is because I am mad...actually, I am beyond mad...I am furious. With the news of a NAFTA deal being met has also brought news that my government has made concessions to the dairy industry.
For those of you who do not know, Canada is highly protective of its dairy industry and has something called supply management. Supply management basically means that government controls the amount of dairy that is produced to rig the price; it also puts high tariffs on foreign dairy. By rigging the price, it ensures that farmers get a fair price from their products. This is so farmers can support themselves and take care of their livestock.
With the new NAFTA deal allowing American dairy to flood the Canadian market, it will lower the price of dairy and cause Canadian farmers to struggle to make ends meet. For someone who comes from a farming community, I find this troubling and I have a great deal of anger towards the government for allowing this to happen.
I also want my American friends to know, I am not angry at you. I am angry at your President and my Prime Minister...mainly Trudeau.
Please note: The official deal has not been released yet and the Prime Minister has not spoken to the price. My anger may be quelled tomorrow when I saw the official deal; perhaps not as much of the dairy industry has been conceded as I believe.
Fun Facts about Me
1. I love politics! I often refer to it as my first love. I discovered environmental studies the following year and it turned out to be my true love but politics is forever in my heart.
2. I want to be Prime Minister one day.
3. I have an Honour BA in Environmental Governance.
4. I love animals. I have an interest in endangered and extinct species. My favourite animal is a polar bear and I have a soft spot for elephants.
5. I love animal print and feathers (and I liked them before they were cool).
6. I love foreign films, B movies, and classic films.
7. I’m a punk at heart.
8. My mom always says, that if I was born in the 70’s, I would have made a good hippy.
9. I am an environmentalist that could be described as an ecocentric, pessimistic sustainable developer.
10. My hero is Nicola Tesla.
11. My wardrobe is vegan (except for a few wool sweaters and a jacket) but I am not a vegetarian or a vegan.
12. My favourite author is H. G. Wells.
13. I live by this quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson: “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honourable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.”
14. I love chocolate and cheesecake.
15. If you want to know anything else about me just ask me! I don't bite!
I have been keeping a betta (on and off) for the last 10 years but I am, by far, not an expert. After the death of my third year old half-moon betta, Albireo, I got a new betta for my birthday. He is a beautiful yellow and black crown tail I named Kaito.
I have been caring for him the same way I have cared for my other bettas. Kaito is eating well and seems generally healthy, however, he only stays on the right side of his tank. My dad and I turned the tank around so he was on the left and he swam to the right side again. The side of the tank he is on is sparse; there are no plants or anything. Is he sick or is just quirky?