got in! sweats nervously been quite a while since i last was in a roleplay group but would love to play with all your children smashes face into a wall
full view of art can be found here ; w ;" | uncoloured version of his hair can be found here (if it helps!)
before i forget: thanks to 4nimeCub3 for the research input and 2StreetsDown for answering all my questions <3
◆ p r o f i l e
Name: Nikolai (Nikko) Kozlov
Birthday: 22th Fire, Year of Beginnings (8265) - Carta the Scroll
Song-Lu Zodiac: Day 24 of the Month of the Raven, Year of the Lambent Pearl Falcon
- True animal: Crane | Secret animal: Owl
Height: 5’ 9”
Class: Mage - Sorcerer - Sage
Occupation: Researcher; Wissen Fellow.
His current research focuses on improving the quality of shielding crystals (for airships especially). More specifically, he hopes to make them more efficient in their alchemical usage whilst increasing their capabilities with sagecraft.
Allegiance: Koben Empire
◆ p e r s o n a l i t y
cheerful / mild / meticulous / perceptive | secretive / self-deprecating / perfectionist / nitpick | paranoid / avoidant / insecure / anxious
tl;dr cheerful and mild, but partially due to fears of being ostracised for his successes. terrified of disappointing others. nitpicky and a perfectionist; also insecure and often compares himself to others - can be quite self-deprecating as a result. doesn't like giving his opinion.
People usually expect Nikko to be arrogant and egotistical due to a high-stress childhood filled with academic achievements: this would be true if it weren't for his parents, who had a vehement distaste for arrogance and hubris, and thus swiftly dealt with any hint of said traits from their children despite having high expectations for them. As such, Nikko is rather cheerful and welcoming with a generally mild persona, and always willing to help anyone in need to the best of his ability. However, as much he tries to deny it, his behavior is not just because of his upbringing, or his relative lack of experiencing failure compared to his peers, but also due to lurking fears of being ostracised by people for being perceived as too successful or too distant for them to associate with. Nikko is terrified of disappointing others, and also dreads that he might do something to tarnish other peoples' perceptions of him - both fears developed from perpetually worrying that he'd let his parents down or anger them as a kid. He is quite the perfectionist, is used to nitpicking and has become perceptive at reading situations and other people in order to minimize any perceived chance of failure.
His fear of being ostracised has also made him keep his own thoughts and opinions closely guarded and private for fear of seeming judgmental; he reluctantly gives his opinion when forced, but otherwise is secretive.
In regards to his own issues, Nikko tries to deal with troubling emotions or thoughts by ignoring them until they go away, and other calamitous events or people by avoiding them entirely; when pushed, he addresses his troubles by doing anything except directly confronting the issue. Nikko understands that the resultant outcomes are mixed depending on the issue, but can't help but continue being avoidant partially due to the high success rate whenever he did this in regards to his parents in the past.
Nikko bases his self-worth and identity off his achievements, in addition to the subsequent praise and attention that he receives from said achievements. While he has been privileged to have come this far in life, Nikko is insecure in that he always believes that he could do more when being compared to his own role models, and often wallows in self-pity and resentment whenever he sees his peers being more successful than him, or perceives that some peers' action correlates to the epiphany that they are more successful than him, or if he majorly screws up / thinks he majorly screwed up.
He's more open about his insecurities with people whom he's close to and tries to accept the compliments for what they are with others as he attempts to work on his insecurities, but for the time being, whenever anyone tries to compliment him on his abilities, he shrugs it off or act in other self-deprecating ways as an attempt to hide this dependence on praise even though he internally relies on said praise as additional validifcation.
- Likes: strong tea | naps | airships | winter | orchestral compositions | vellichor | candle scents | espresso | rain | old books
- Dislikes: raised voices | mediocrity | disappointment | guilt | feeling worthless / useless | conflict of almost any sort | chalk screeches | humidity
◆ h i s t o r y
tl;dr smol squishy nerd grows up focusing on academia instead of military pursuits, much to his parents' chagrin - even if he's better at the former than the latter.
Nikko was the eldest of three sons born to a Valski father and a Bratkovan mother, both whom shared their love of science and the military with him and his two younger siblings. His parents, however, also forced their expectations and heavily biased judgments onto their children: while they were kind and wished the best for their children, they were also incredibly strict and prejudiced in their actions and opinions on how their children should behave and develop their careers.
As such, he became as much of a model student as he could so that he wouldn’t get into trouble with his parents, nor would his parents be disappointed with him, but quietly disagreed with his parents’ policies and rigid beliefs. He couldn’t voice this without retaliation, however, so he instead feverishly focused his attention and curiosity solely on technology and magecraft.
His prowess with his magic and excellence in academia over the years naturally led to an interest in continuing his studies and being involved in academia as he grew older; he then applied to multiple prestigious universities, was later accepted into a prominent university known for its high population of Wissen Fellows in the faculty and military research on a substantial scholarship. Soon after that, he successfully petitioned to be a Junior with a Fellow’s - his future mentor and the research professor he’d be working under for the next several years - support. The research he did with the particular Fellow in addition to a few particular people whom he met during his undergraduate years opened his eyes to the intricacies of sage craft, and ultimately marked his start into becoming a sage.
Despite his parents’ urging and his own halfhearted attempts during university, where he slowly came to terms with the fact that he wouldn't be able to fulfill his parents' dreams - Nikko never joined the military after graduation: instead, he focused his efforts on research and development and engineering and magecraft as a sort of compromise between him and his parents, and after a few years, became a sage and received his Ph.D from another prominent university. In the past year, Nikko has successfully petitioned to advance from being a Wissen Junior to a full-fledged Wissen Fellow, and is now a postdoctoral researcher, tentatively considering professor and tenure track, at another university.
- Festival of Kites: Nikko dragged Yunalesca with him to partake in this Linhian festival, then met up with Anneliese to reconnect and fly some kites, although their horseplay nearly set fire to Emilie's hang glider. He later met Emilie to apologize to her about the mishap, but ended up talking to her about intellectual topics, in addition to meeting Ara for the first time (and letting her experience a bit of air magic).
- New roommate: After Pei's death, Tian left for Koben in order to distance himself from Song Lu and everything that reminded him of Pei. Nikko bumped into Tian after Tian spent a day or two in Koben while grocery shopping, and ended up offering a place for Tian to stay, while keeping in mind the letter he received from Pei weeks before her death.
- Beacon Light: Nikko originally planned to go help repair the Ostzepter alone due to a few reasons (to help out on behalf of the Wissen Fellowship, to drive alchemical prices back to their original levels, to see dragons) until he realized that it'd probably be safer to take Tian with him, and Yunalesca - who had also just arrived from the ball - came face to face with Tian instead of Nikko at his place. Despite the mutual enmity between the two elvish races, the three mages are able to reconcile, to an extent, and head to the base of the Crown Ridge. There, they formed a team with four other people - Emilie, Ara, Wei, and Yue - the former two Nikko had met before, and created a path up the tower. Along the way, he, Emilie, and Yunalesca sniped a juvenile Kralspitzer, but when they got to the tower, they had to face the remaining Kralspitzer wyverns. As it was Nikko's first true combat experience, he wasn't expecting several things and couldn't help defend to his best ability, which further created a negative feedback loop in addition to the epiphany that he could possibly die here. Even when they had defeated the wyverns, Nikko was slow to recover from the amount of shock/trauma from his first battle; he spent the remaining days after the battle helping with unlocking the doors and with lightning protection and used that time to work things out. The towers did succeed in staying connected, but Nikko realized that he had much to improve upon in regards to using his magic more effectively/efficiently in general from this experience.
- Extravaganza: More to be added.
- Midsummer: More to be added.
- Open Skies: More to be added.
- Possession: More to be added.
- War Games: More to be added.
◆ m i s c e l l a n e o u s
Nikko generally specializes in creating barriers/seals; he's also taken to despelling and treats it like a comfortable mind exercise. However, due to his relative inexperience as a sage, he’s still working on expanding his control and range over his craft; his range is quite paltry at the moment, and he can tell if a being has a high quantity of magic on them, but has to work at unraveling enchantments/enchanting items, seeing through illusions, and the such.
Nikko had latent talent in both healer class and mage class as a child, until his parents forced him to focus his attention on magecraft due to their belief that military service was the highest honour one could do for one’s country, and becoming a musician or a composer was an unworthy career - especially for their children, of whom they had increasingly high expectations for. If he didn’t give up as much as he had on his musical aspirations, he probably would have become a musician or a classical composer; perhaps he would have most likely become a troubadour instead of a sage, too. As such, he has peripheral skills as a healer, and can heal only minor cuts and scrapes. He has been going over to the military healers as of late to hang out with his brother Misha and brush up on his healing skills, however.
He equally prefers using aerether, marether, and calether [air, water, and dark ether, respectively]. He has yet to find a way of casting that he prefers (is quite picky) so he resorts to all sorts of enchanted jewelry for the time being.
He is embarrassingly weak in the physical domain, and cannot fight physically to save his life.
He has a few passive magical tattoos designed for self-defense and protection inked on his body, in addition to several enchanted accessories (earrings/earcuffs, rings, et cetera) that he wears at all times. Both the tattoos and accessories were obtained when he went to study in Song Lu during his undergraduate years, where he met Tian, Pei, and Shuu - the first two whom he bought his accessories from, and the latter whom he had his tattoos done from. Nikko stops by their place once every one-two years to get the tattoos touched up and catch up on the news with the family.
He has an extensive collection of trashy romance novels in his apartment LMAO
He speaks/writes in mainly Common, but can carry a passable conversation - although with a heavy Kobener accent - in Bratibran and (to a lesser extent) Valski because of his parents, in addition to Songhua because of his studies in Song Lu.
Incredibly closeted due to his parents' biased judgments (especially his father's judgment, as his father is quite Valski in habit and mannerisms) and fear of dire consequences that could arise from his parents' reactions; has yet to tell them that he is not heterosexual despite the general welcoming culture in Koben and a history of past ex-boyfriends.
Kralspitzer Blood (obtained after Beacon Light) | A small vial of blood. Kralspitzer blood is thin, a rich blue-green and corrosive; care must be taken to ensure the vial's enchantment is not broken.
◆ r e l a t i o n s h i p s
Arkadi Kozlov [54 / Sniper] : Father. An air force engineer, originally from Valsk and a goatherd/blacksmith family of dubious origins. He immigrated to Koben at a relatively young age, before tensions between Miras and Koben skyrocketed exponentially, because he was in love with the amount of technology Koben was famed for. He’s also disappointed that Nikko was never the eldest son he dreamed of (physically adept rather than magically adept and in the Air Force), even with all of Nikko's achievements in other walks of life, and shows it in the most passive aggressive ways possible; Nikko tries not to think about it and generally stays away from his father as much as possible.
Irena Wronski-Kozlov [57 / Berserker]: Mother. A fiery warrior who moved from Braktowice to Koben to serve in the Imperial Guard. Nikko’s a bit closer to his mother than his father, but still harbors a bit of resentment that she destroyed all his compositions and other musical paraphernalia in order to stop him from pursuing a musical career. She’s also starting to nag him about marriage and grandchildren prospects, and is fully willing to set him up with her friends’ daughters (of which he’s terrified of happening in the first place).
Mikhail (Misha) Kozlov [23 / Acolyte]: Younger brother. A kind, gentle person who is loved by most people he meets. Nikko’s incredibly salty at times that their parents let Mikhail pursue his dreams of being a healer while forcing Nikko to become a sage, even though Misha displayed more talent than him for healing as kids, but the two get along splendidly otherwise, as Mikhail understands his older brother’s quirks and pent up frustrations about their parents and copes with it better than Lukas. He’s currently serving a stint within the Imperial Forces as a military healer before he goes into either medical school or joins the Circle of the Wreath.
- Lukas Kozlov [20 / Scout]: Youngest brother. He currently serves in the Koben Air Force, and is somewhat the opposite compared to his older siblings - reckless yet sly, incredibly snarky (not to the parents, of course), more physically adept than his older brothers will ever be, and a brilliant tactician at heart. He’s also most favoured out of the three sons in regards to the parents, and Lukas tends to lord that over Nikko and Misha. That being said though, Nikko and Misha take turns checking up on him to make sure he isn’t doing dumb shit at the Air Force base when their father isn’t amongst the engineering crew.
Kivec Vesphir | [STEAMpunk buddies; nikko might have had a crush on kiv when they were teens] TBA, more to be added.
- Anneliese L. Rosenberg | Nikko's dear mentee of sorts, three years his junior. They went to the same prestigious grade school, met in a student organization catered towards magically inclined students, and slowly fostered a senpai/kohai relationship through friendly duels and beloved books (of a dubious sort). While he was disappointed that Anne left Koben years down the road, they have kept touch with
positively sickeningamusing letters. He enjoys exchanging pointed, playful remarks with her, as Anne's fiery personality keeps Nikko on his toes, and always looks forward to their tea dates and sparring sessions (not so much the shopping sprees) whenever Anne stops by.
- Yunalesca | Nikko met her circa eight years ago, when Yuna was still new to Koben and trying to find her way around the university library to find books on summoning, and helped her find her way. Since then, they've encountered each other multiple times and have slowly formed a mutual friendship through study sessions - and a couple instances of Nikko awkwardly stashing his collection of romance novels at her place when his parents come over, among other things (laughs). Nikko admires her sociable attitude and deeply values her insight and friendship. [More to be added.]
Tian Jin Li | [precious friendo] TBA, more to be added.
- Airez Senvor | TBA, more to be added.
- Anders Saltvic | A somewhat odd individual, although Nikko chooses not to pry into details. He met Anders last summer after noticing the other was acting shiftily in the libraries and tried to help (of which caused Anders to run into a door). They usually encounter each other a few times per month, and have developed a pleasant acquaintanceship with each other to the point that they converse at the library or talk over coffee/tea. They've both developed crushes on each other for a small period of time, but due to internal worries and other issues on both sides, the're just friends with a couple drunken kisses here and there.
- Petra Saltvic | [PETRA NEE CHAN] TBA, more to be added.
- Ara | A dark elf whom Nikko met while he was at the Festival of Kites, and later journeyed up to the Ostzepter with. [More to be added.]
- Emilie Kupferstein | [fellow nerd, admires her drive but envies how willingly she's able to talk about her research] TBA, more to be added.
- Yue Ling Qiu | [plant buddies! closed lipped about fam buddies!] TBA, more to be added.
- Greagoir | TBA, more to be added.
◆ p r e f e r e n c e s
- i usually use google docs (roleplays) and/or skype (headcanons). dA chat or forums are possibilities if discussed in advance, but notes or comments are a no go under almost any circumstances because i hate dA’s notes system with a burning passion and comments are quite unwieldy as is.
am more used to headcanons because time constraints so apologies if i’m a bit rusty ^^”
literature/paragraph highly preferred compared to script/chat.
how are you bb i haven't spoken to you in so long holy shit
"has an extensive collection of trashy romance novels in his apartment" HE IS A GREAT MAN I'M SURE
IF BY GREAT MAN YOU MEAN TRASH HE IS UTTER TRASH AND LIVES VICARIOUSLY THROUGH THE SHALLOW PROTAGONISTS YES (was waiting for someone to pick up on the trash dime novels tidbit ahahaha)
would love to playsies with airez sometime! :"o what a lovely child you have -
GREAT BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW TRASHY ROMANTIC NOVELS SAVES SOULS AND HE IS ONE WITH A GOOD SOUL- (I can't possibly ignore that because my eyes go right directed to 'trashy romantic novels' maybe because I'm trash )
and yes it will be great to RP/HC to know your son and hope he doesn't get annoyed by my son //wipes tears
NOT TO THE EXTENT OF HIS COLLECTION IT'S LIKE HE HAS AN ADDICTION TO THEM OR SMTH pls, you're not as trashy as nikko here :")))))
//collects your tears haha no worries at all! nikko's been to song-lu, before six years from the present, for a semester abroad (of sorts) - do you think he and airez would have met at that time? (if not, has airez been to koben much?)
No I really enjoy feeling like trash but i'm sure nikko is no trash.
Now airez travels around including Koben, but he stayed in songlu and only in songlu before five years from present so yes either way would be possible. If he was studying in Songlu and would happen to drop by the library then he will probably 99% see him before
i, too, also like being trash, which is why nikko is the trashiest of them all
hahah yup - nikko's second home is always the library (son pls), so he probably would seen airez floating around sometimes ' o ' if not though, he probably can run into airez at koben!
also - do you have a skype (b/c faster way to hc/rp)? mine is gracefulsunshine - hmuuu
nikko's research is the only thing noteworthy about him ,, , , lies in a hole but i'm so glad his personality is likeable! perhaps he's relatable since he's an academic and we're all students too and all those insecurities tho - rip him, rip everyone
aLSO YES skype is gracefulsunshine hmuuu - would love to headcanon/rp and meet kiv, lovely kiv (enchanted earrings buddies ayyyyyyyy) kiv can always get in on the research if he drops his peacekeeper duties lol jk
congratulations on getting in!
and i hope we can rp! u v u/