Name: Nikolai (Nikko) Kozlov
Birthday: 22th Fire, Year of Beginnings (8265) - Carta the Scroll
Song-Lu Zodiac: Day 24 of the Month of the Raven, Year of the Lambent Pearl Falcon
Height: 5’ 9”
Class: Mage - Sorcerer - Sage
Occupation: Researcher; Wissen Fellow.
His current research focuses on improving the quality of shielding crystals (for airships especially). More specifically, he hopes to make them more efficient in their alchemical usage whilst increasing their capabilities with sagecraft.
Allegiance: Koben Empire
tl;dr smol squishy nerd grows up focusing on academia instead of military pursuits, much to his parents' chagrin - even if he's better at the former than the latter.
Nikko was the eldest of three sons born to a Valski father and a Bratkovan mother, both whom shared their love of science and the military with him and his two younger siblings. His parents, however, also forced their expectations and heavily biased judgments onto their children: while they were kind and wished the best for their children, they were also incredibly strict and prejudiced in their actions and opinions on how their children should behave and develop their careers.
As such, he became as much of a model student as he could so that he wouldn’t get into trouble with his parents, nor would his parents be disappointed with him, but quietly disagreed with his parents’ policies and rigid beliefs. He couldn’t voice this without retaliation, however, so he instead feverishly focused his attention and curiosity solely on technology and magecraft.
His prowess with his magic and excellence in academia over the years naturally led to an interest in continuing his studies and being involved in academia as he grew older; he then applied to multiple prestigious universities, was later accepted into a prominent university known for its high population of Wissen Fellows in the faculty and military research on a substantial scholarship. Soon after that, he successfully petitioned to be a Junior with a Fellow’s - his future mentor and the research professor he’d be working under for the next several years - support. The research he did with the particular Fellow in addition to a few particular people whom he met during his undergraduate years opened his eyes to the intricacies of sage craft, and ultimately marked his start into becoming a sage.
Despite his parents’ urging and his own halfhearted attempts during university, where he slowly came to terms with the fact that he wouldn't be able to fulfill his parents' dreams - Nikko never joined the military after graduation: instead, he focused his efforts on research and development and engineering and magecraft as a sort of compromise between him and his parents, and after a few years, became a sage and received his Ph.D from another prominent university. In the past year, Nikko has successfully petitioned to advance from being a Wissen Junior to a full-fledged Wissen Fellow, and is now a postdoctoral researcher, tentatively considering professor and tenure track, at another university.
- Festival of Kites: Nikko dragged Yunalesca with him to partake in this Linhian festival, then met up with Anneliese to reconnect and fly some kites, although their horseplay nearly set fire to Emilie's hang glider. He later met Emilie to apologize to her about the mishap, but ended up talking to her about intellectual topics, in addition to meeting Ara for the first time (and letting her experience a bit of air magic).
- New roommate: After Pei's death, Tian left for Koben in order to distance himself from Song Lu and everything that reminded him of Pei. Nikko bumped into Tian after Tian spent a day or two in Koben while grocery shopping, and ended up offering a place for Tian to stay, while keeping in mind the letter he received from Pei weeks before her death.
- Beacon Light: Nikko originally planned to go help repair the Ostzepter alone due to a few reasons (to help out on behalf of the Wissen Fellowship, to drive alchemical prices back to their original levels, to see dragons) until he realized that it'd probably be safer to take Tian with him, and Yunalesca - who had also just arrived from the ball - came face to face with Tian instead of Nikko at his place. Despite the mutual enmity between the two elvish races, the three mages are able to reconcile, to an extent, and head to the base of the Crown Ridge. There, they formed a team with four other people - Emilie, Ara, Wei, and Yue - the former two Nikko had met before, and created a path up the tower. Along the way, he, Emilie, and Yunalesca sniped a juvenile Kralspitzer, but when they got to the tower, they had to face the remaining Kralspitzer wyverns. As it was Nikko's first true combat experience, he wasn't expecting several things and couldn't help defend to his best ability, which further created a negative feedback loop in addition to the epiphany that he could possibly die here. Even when they had defeated the wyverns, Nikko was slow to recover from the amount of shock/trauma from his first battle; he spent the remaining days after the battle helping with unlocking the doors and with lightning protection and used that time to work things out. The towers did succeed in staying connected, but Nikko realized that he had much to improve upon in regards to using his magic more effectively/efficiently in general from this experience.
- Extravaganza: More to be added.
- Midsummer: More to be added.
- Open Skies: More to be added.
- Possession: More to be added.
- War Games: More to be added.
Nikko generally specializes in creating barriers/seals; he's also taken to despelling and treats it like a comfortable mind exercise. However, due to his relative inexperience as a sage, he’s still working on expanding his control and range over his craft; his range is quite paltry at the moment, and he can tell if a being has a high quantity of magic on them, but has to work at unraveling enchantments/enchanting items, seeing through illusions, and the such.
Nikko had latent talent in both healer class and mage class as a child, until his parents forced him to focus his attention on magecraft due to their belief that military service was the highest honour one could do for one’s country, and becoming a musician or a composer was an unworthy career - especially for their children, of whom they had increasingly high expectations for. If he didn’t give up as much as he had on his musical aspirations, he probably would have become a musician or a classical composer; perhaps he would have most likely become a troubadour instead of a sage, too. As such, he has peripheral skills as a healer, and can heal only minor cuts and scrapes. He has been going over to the military healers as of late to hang out with his brother Misha and brush up on his healing skills, however.
He equally prefers using aerether, marether, and calether [air, water, and dark ether, respectively]. He has yet to find a way of casting that he prefers (is quite picky) so he resorts to all sorts of enchanted jewelry for the time being.
He is embarrassingly weak in the physical domain, and cannot fight physically to save his life.
He has a few passive magical tattoos designed for self-defense and protection inked on his body, in addition to several enchanted accessories (earrings/earcuffs, rings, et cetera) that he wears at all times. Both the tattoos and accessories were obtained when he went to study in Song Lu during his undergraduate years, where he met Tian, Pei, and Shuu - the first two whom he bought his accessories from, and the latter whom he had his tattoos done from. Nikko stops by their place once every one-two years to get the tattoos touched up and catch up on the news with the family.
He has an extensive collection of trashy romance novels in his apartment LMAO
He speaks/writes in mainly Common, but can carry a passable conversation - although with a heavy Kobener accent - in Bratibran and (to a lesser extent) Valski because of his parents, in addition to Songhua because of his studies in Song Lu.
Incredibly closeted due to his parents' biased judgments (especially his father's judgment, as his father is quite Valski in habit and mannerisms) and fear of dire consequences that could arise from his parents' reactions; has yet to tell them that he is not heterosexual despite the general welcoming culture in Koben and a history of past ex-boyfriends.
Kralspitzer Blood (obtained after Beacon Light) | A small vial of blood. Kralspitzer blood is thin, a rich blue-green and corrosive; care must be taken to ensure the vial's enchantment is not broken.
Arkadi Kozlov [54 / Sniper] : Father. An air force engineer, originally from Valsk and a goatherd/blacksmith family of dubious origins. He immigrated to Koben at a relatively young age, before tensions between Miras and Koben skyrocketed exponentially, because he was in love with the amount of technology Koben was famed for. He’s also disappointed that Nikko was never the eldest son he dreamed of (physically adept rather than magically adept and in the Air Force), even with all of Nikko's achievements in other walks of life, and shows it in the most passive aggressive ways possible; Nikko tries not to think about it and generally stays away from his father as much as possible.
Irena Wronski-Kozlov [57 / Berserker]: Mother. A fiery warrior who moved from Braktowice to Koben to serve in the Imperial Guard. Nikko’s a bit closer to his mother than his father, but still harbors a bit of resentment that she destroyed all his compositions and other musical paraphernalia in order to stop him from pursuing a musical career. She’s also starting to nag him about marriage and grandchildren prospects, and is fully willing to set him up with her friends’ daughters (of which he’s terrified of happening in the first place).
Mikhail (Misha) Kozlov [23 / Acolyte]: Younger brother. A kind, gentle person who is loved by most people he meets. Nikko’s incredibly salty at times that their parents let Mikhail pursue his dreams of being a healer while forcing Nikko to become a sage, even though Misha displayed more talent than him for healing as kids, but the two get along splendidly otherwise, as Mikhail understands his older brother’s quirks and pent up frustrations about their parents and copes with it better than Lukas. He’s currently serving a stint within the Imperial Forces as a military healer before he goes into either medical school or joins the Circle of the Wreath.
Kivec Vesphir | [STEAMpunk buddies; nikko might have had a crush on kiv when they were teens] TBA, more to be added.
Tian Jin Li | [precious friendo] TBA, more to be added.
am more used to headcanons because time constraints so apologies if i’m a bit rusty ^^”
literature/paragraph highly preferred compared to script/chat.