About eight years ago, inspired by the likes of and , I started my very first Mortal Kombat fan-krossover with SNK. That project was then completed. However, as time passed when I started work on other fan stuff (as well as me starting my own original fighter projects dating back in 2014) and the more I've delved into SNK stuff further and looking back at MKvsSNK, I wasn't really fond with how I did the fan krossover. Fast forward to the now where I am officially replacing the original MKvsSNK with a rework, a rework that I ensure to you all will be FAR SUPERIOR. This is the official revamp of Mortal Kombat vs. SNK Universe!
TABLES OF KONTENT:
- Plot Synopsis
- Things to Take Note Of
- In Konclusion
1. PLOT SYNOPSIS
In the Mortal Kombat universe, which is set between MK3 and MK4/Gold, the Forces of Light have thwarted the Outworld invasion spearheaded by Shao Kahn and saved Earthrealm from being conquered by him. Raiden and Fujin banished Shao Kahn into a portal that is suppose to lead into a permanent abyss. Other things have been going on during that time, such as Kano being arrested, Kitana ruling a newly-resorted Edenia alongside a fully-ressurected Sindel, Sektor is now Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei, and there's right now a civil war in Outworld between Mileena's forces and Kotal Kahn's forces.
Meanwhile, in the SNK universe, a day just after a monster named "Verse" was destroyed in the aftermath of the latest King of Fighters tournament that its arrival destroyed the arena of, Kyo Kusanagi and his buddies, Benimaru Nikaido and Goro Daimon encountered a newly-resurrected Rugal Bernstein, who was among the many souls of deceased individuals that were aligned with Verse now scattered everyone after its death. They have to face him once more until during he fight, Nakoruru intervenes and seals Rugal away in a portal in hopes that he will never escape his impending destination.
Unfortunately, neither banishment via portal do any good for Shao Kahn and Rugal Bernstein end up fusing together into a sinister monstrosity known as Omega Kahn, who causes a world merge crisis which pits inhabitants from each of the two universes at odds against each other.
There are 25 default characters per side, 5 unlockable ones per side, 1 bonus guest character per side, and there will be three DLC Season Passes with each season pass consisting of 6 characters per side… Damn, talk about 98 characters (49 for each side that is)! But any who, here's the list of playable characters in the roster.
Oh, and as you read the lists, do keep in mind that, because I refuse to make a character select mockup based on this (don't ask me why, I just won't do it), there will be marks next to the listed character's name signifying whether that character is hidden or DLC. Otherwise, it's a default core character.
Downloadable Content (there will be either a 1st, 2nd or 3rd next to this icon indicating which Season Pass this character's part of)
- Mortal Kombat side
- SNK side
- Guest Fighters
MORTAL KOMBAT SIDE
- Daegon 1st
- Ermac 3rd
- Ferra & Torr 2nd
- Frost 2nd
- Geras 3rd
- Havik 2nd
- Hotaru 3rd
- Jax Briggs
- Johnny Cage
- Kano 1st
- Kotal Kahn 1st
- Kung Lao
- Kurtis Striker 1st
- Li Mei
- Liu Kang
- Mileena 1st
- Nightwolf 1st
- Nitara 2nd
- Noob Saibot 2nd
- Quan Chi 3rd
- Sareena 3rd
- Shang Tsung
- Shao Kahn
- Sheeva 2nd
- Shinnok 3rd
- Sonya Blade
Oh, and just a reminder, this time in this, despite the MK side taking place between MKs 3-4/Gold, Sub-Zero is the one who's been turned into a cyborg instead of Smoke, meaning that Smoke, in this MKvsSNK, gets to stay a human/enenra. Anyways, next section!
- Asura (from Samurai Shodown) 3rd
- Athena Asamiya (from Psycho Soldiers)
- Atomic Guy (from King of the Monsters)
- Benimaru Nikaido (from The King of Fighters)
- Billy Kane (from Fatal Fury)
- Choi Bounge & Chang Koehan (from The King of Fighters) 2nd
- Darli Dagger (from Samurai Shodown) 2nd
- Eiji Kisaragi (from Art of Fighting)
- Elta (from Magician Lord)
- Geese Howard (from Fatal Fury)
- Genjuro Kibagami (from Samurai Shodown)
- Goro Daimon (from The King of Fighters)
- Hanzo Hattori (from Samurai Shodown)
- Haohmaru (from Samurai Shodown)
- Iori Yagami (from The King of Fighters)
- Jeanne d'Arc (from World Heroes)
- Johann (from Rage of the Dragons) 3rd
- K' (from The King of Fighters)
- Kaede (from Last Blade)
- Keiichiro Washizuka (from Last Blade) 1st
- Kim Kaphwan (from Fatal Fury)
- King Lion (from Fu'un) 3rd
- Kukri (from The King of Fighters) 3rd
- Kula Diamond (from The King of Fighters) 2nd
- Kyo Kusanagi (from The King of Fighters)
- Lee Pai Long (from Art of Fighting)
- Leona Heidern (from The King of Fighters)
- Love Heart (from Sky Love) 2nd
- Mai Shiranui (from Fatal Fury)
- Marco Rossi (from Metal Slug)
- Maxima (from The King of Fighters)
- Mr. Big (from Art of Fighting) 1st
- Mudman (from World Heroes) 1st
- Mukuro (from Last Blade) 2nd
- Najd (from The King of Fighters) 2nd
- Nakoruru (from Samurai Shodown)
- Neo Dio (from World Heroes) 3rd
- Rolf (from Galaxy Fight: Universal Warriors)
- Rugal Bernstein (from The King of Fighters)
- Ryuji Yamazaki (from Fatal Fury) 1st
- Shermie (from The King of Fighters) 1st
- Shiki (from Samurai Shodown)
- Shinnosuke Kagami (from Last Blade)
- Shiro Tokisada Amakusa (from Samurai Shodown) 3rd
- Sho Hayate (from Fu'un)
- Tam Tam (from Samurai Shodown) 1st
- Terry Bogard (from Fatal Fury)
- Yuki (from Neo Geo Battle Coliseum)
Mortal Kombat side: Spawn (from Image Comics)
SNK side: Akuma (from Street Fighter)
Since, again, I will not be making a character select mockup based on this roster, I will go ahead and reveal which rivalries will remain the same as in the (deleted) original MKvsSNK in no particular order. So brace yourselves…
- Raiden vs. Atomic Guy
- Shang Tsung vs. Elta
- Reiko vs. Geese
- Kenshi vs. Haohmaru
- Jade vs. Jeanne
- Jax vs. Marco
- Johnny Cage vs. Terry
- Kabal vs. Lee
- Kitana vs. Mai
- Sonya vs. Leona
- Shinnok vs. Neo Dio
- Shao Kahn vs. Rugal
And that's who's gonna be rivals with whom, but I'm just listing the ones that will be the same as in the original. The other rivalries are anyone's guess (except Liu Kang vs. Kyo, which is very obvious).
3. THINGS TO TAKE NOTE OF
- As usual with Mortal Kombat, there are fatalities and everyone has them. Nothing more to be said here since this aspect is to be expected from MK.
- If your wondering about stage fatalities… sadly, there will be no stage fatalities. Instead, what you'll get stage interactions. However, not all stages have interactions so if you read up one a stage in an entry, I will list if the character's associated stage has intractables or not.
- There is a move called Klimatic Blows. Basically, Klimatic Blows act as something similar to the Fatal Blows in Mortal Kombat 11 (hence the name's derivations Fatal Blow and King of Fighters XIV's Climax Super Special). Some Klimatic Blows may share in common with X-Ray moves while some others may not. Some Klimatic Blows may involve blood (especially when certain characters use their weapons to attack their opponent like Haohmaru and his sword for example) while others may be just bloodless. They all come in different varieties.
- Like Mortal Kombats X and 11, MKvsSNK now has pre-fight dialogues. However, unlike in those two pre-existing games, not everybody will have a pre-fight conversation with one another. Every character will have a regular intro like in MK9 which means that in the entries, there'll be two kinds of intro sequences listed, the regular one and the pre-fight one listing two sequences for what time the character talks. Also, the pre-fight intros in this will function like the ones in MKX. (and no, I will not make a separate entry for those pre-fights. they'll be inserted into the movelists which is also a saving grace since, as I stated, not every character has a pre-fight with one another)
- • On the topic of pref-fight intros, all rivals have two types of pre-fights while all other pre-fights will just consist of one variety. Also, all mirror matches have a pre-fight intro. I will say however that Omega Kahn is the ONLY character with no pre-fight dialogues whatsoever (but then again, he's a non-playable boss character)
- As with the original MKvsSNK, there are Friendships and every character has one. But while the Friendships will play out similarly like those in MK11, not everyone's friendship will involve the character alone doing something. Some friendships may involve the character interacting with his/her opponent.
- I'm not one to talk about what kind of music is in the project (besides, I only save that kind of thing for original fighter projects), but I will state some things right off the bat; The BGM for MKvsSNK's character select screen is Moloch's stage music from Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance. When it's time to perform a fatality or friendship, this sound (0:04-0:06) from Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe plays. With fatalities, after the fatality is performed, this sound (0:57-1:00) from Mortal Kombat Armageddon plays. Now as for friendships, after the friendship is performed, that same BGM for the friendships in MK11 plays.
- The announcer, of course, is Jamieson Price just like in MK's 9-onward, especially MK11, and the announcer even says "FATALITY, *insert character here* WINS" or "FRIENDSHIP! *insert character here* WINS!" like in MK11.
- Along with kostumes, there are also kosplay skins, though not everyone has a kosplay skin just like how not everyone has an unlockable kostume or DLC kostume.
- There is a hypothetical Komplete Edition for MKvsSNK, so for some entries, you will find where costumes are listed what kind of outfits would be available exclusively on that hypothetical version, be they kosplay or otherwise.
- This time around, endings will come with illustrations that show what's going on. Basically, I'll write above where the ending's text is narrated (it's narrator is the one from MKX, BTW) what the illustration is depicting so you can get an idea.
- As I have been confirming over and over when talking about this rewritten project, Liu Kang and Kyo are the key heroes of MKvsSNK. Shao Kahn and Rugal, however, are still the key villains of the fan-crossover.
- In descriptions for entries, if I don't explain a reason for this character being rivals with that character, it's for either reasons: Either the rivalry may be unorthodox or maybe the rivalry does make sense but I just don't know how to explain it myself. (and don't worry cuz I promise you there won't be as many unorthodox rivalries like in the original)
- Oh, and just to let everyone know, although I can come up with arcade endings on my own, I actually won't mind any of you giving me ideas for endings. However, if you would like to give me an idea for an ending, take it to the notes as you do, be sure to mention the name of a character and ask me if I want help with that character's ending and I'll answer yes or no. Similarly, I wouldn't mind anyone noting me an idea for a character's friendship, but like with the ending thing, you're gonna have to name drop the character and ask if I'd like to hear your idea of a friendship. Same deal with pre-fight dialogue ideas which I am also accepting of (just send me a note name dropping two characters and ask if I want to hear your idea(s)).
I will not be doing any of the following:
- Make a character select mockup
- Insert pictures of characters for their movelists
- Upload VS. pictures of rivals
- Include more than two guest fighters. Spawn and Akuma shall remain the only guests in MKvsSNK.
- Include stage BGMs
4. IN KONCLUSION
…I'm gonna make something obvious and sincere right now that YES, BF3 and GDW WILL go on sooner or later! I really REALLY wanna finish that shit up (GDW, of course, since my next phase in working on it are the 1st Season Pass DLC, though I still wanna get back to BF3 since it's been, like, three years since I've started it). So don't worry, for those following either BF3 or GDW!
As for everyone else in general, that's all I have to say on about Mortal Kombat vs. SNK Universe. And of course at this particular time, Mortal Kombat X Namco Universe and Marvel vs. SNK are DEFINITELY put on on hold for an indefinite time. I wanna get started with this particular fan project now… and I'll hopefully be able to do my other stuff (as well as my fan movelists for SBBU and/or MK11 that I've talked about before) while also working on MKvsSNK simultaneously. Just sayin'.
This is Mortal Kombat vs. SNK Universe, not Mortal Kombat vs. Super Smash Bros.
Although I have been considering doing Mortal Kombat vs. Nintendo Universe. But I can come with the roster on my own.