So 300+ followers are finally here... It took me much longer than expected and I'm afraid I'm getting closer to the limits of my audience on DA. I appreciate every positive comment I got, but the platform just doesn't drive me the number of views I hoped for. The number of new subscribers "per picture" is declining so it's either a quality drop from my side (probably not) or it's really an exhaustion of my potential audience. Like "everyone interested is already here".
Making photos is very time consuming, it basically takes me a whole day to make a single photo (not to count the time to prepare props and clothing). Makeup -> Dressing Up -> Shooting -> Selection -> PostProduction... And while I'm getting a lot of positive emotions in the process (and after), I have to admit that my motivation is creeping down. DA was never The Platform for photographers, and now it's further from it than before. Fake captions, head swapping and other cheap tricks are outnumbering the artistic stuff. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that good artists (in all genres) are gradually leaving DA, and everything else is coming in, as a "replacement".
I'm not even going to discuss how broken DA engine is. We literally struggle to get our images razor sharp... only to get it blurred into oblivion after upload. Compare the quality of (resized) images here: furmel.deviantart.com/gallery/ and here furmel.tumblr.com See the difference? This is an insult and it shows the competence of dev. team 17 years passed since 2000 and nobody cared to fix the shitty DA's downsampling yet.
I'm not a professional model or photographer. I have to learn a lot and I'd like to do it. But learn from whom? I can name only a couple of people here 1) shooting something I like, 2) being active today – and that's about it. Of course I can keep learning from the artists of other genres, but...
In short, DA does not provide me neither the audience, nor the community I hoped for.
So what my options even are?
* Facebook – don't even propose, I truly hate this platform.
* Instagram – the audience is a big +, the square photos are a big -, lame engine, and it's owned by Facebook again.
* Patreon – the professional artists are struggling hard to make money on it, no chance for hobbyists like me.
* Pinterest – the community is too small. Probably a waste of time. Fetish is not nearly as popular as Cosplay or something.
* 500px – the community of professional photographers, showcasing their works. I don't really belong to them.
* Behance – like above, but for designers and visual artists. I'm amateur and I have no plans to change it.
* Tumblr – big audience, no community in principle, 99% of images are stolen, endlessly reposted "something".
* Twitter – see "Facebook" ^^^
* Supe.me, BentBox, Diverxity – probably good to sell 18+ images, but not for anything else. And it don't want to mix my photos with L-Q porn stuff.
* Keep going with DA – that's what I plan to do for a while but ^^^
And I'm kinda stuck here... What do you guys think? I don't particularly ask you about my case. Making art was always an ungrateful business. What do You do to "sweeten the pill"? Even if you're just a greedy content consumer – I'd like you to share your opinion here
Should I explain it's not a "post of complaints"? My job is not related to photography and modelling in any sense and even if all social networks disappear tomorrow I wouldn't even notice that for a week or so. I got 300 followers and we can use that as a chance to talk – that's it.