Details

January 9
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

There can I get a Linux Drawing Tablet like iPad ?

:iconextraterrestrialarts:
extraterrestrialarts Featured By Owner Edited Jan 9, 2021  Professional General Artist
With current events with the annoyance of Apple ID getting locked ever so often, and yes I have changed my password, still does it, and now have a password that is so hard to type , store it in an encrypted password protected zip file on an external thumb drive. 

I am thinking to variate my devices like have a MacBook, iPhone Android tablet for art and a Windows/Linux (maybe hankintosh) PC for desktop., plans of getting a new iPad since the old one can't update, as it would stop working as it has had it's screen replaced by a third party repair, and so lost function of pressure sensitivity, so using it as a sketch pad has become useless, and only use it to Load references I created digitally and to find my iPhone , as I always misplace it around the flat.

I had plans of getting an artists android tablet.. but with my past annoyances with Android, I moved to Apple. Now I feel I would like to get a Linux "iPad" that is compatible for doing art. So I won't have to rely on Apple ID, or the update madness of Android.

So I am asking if anyone knows of a good Linux tablet that could load perhaps Gimp/Critter etc.. with stylus support that accepts pressure sensitivity. This would be perfect for sketching.. before porting it to the Mac/Pc connected to Cintiq and doing the line art, colouring in and painting... 

(edit.. I got the title wrong it should be 'where' not 'there '.. oh FFS)..

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconxternal7:
xTernal7 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2021  Hobbyist General Artist
Might as well settle for Surface lineup and stick to Windows. Krita works really well on the surface. GIMP's won't detect pen on 7 and I think 6, and it requires additional software on few others.

While you can install Linux on surface, pen outright won't work on surface pro 7: github.com/linux-surface/linux…

Note that battery life is mostly kinda trash on the surface, I get 4-5 hours if I'm being conservative. In addition to that, screen calibration is outright garbage out of the box (blacks are completely fucked up) and calibrating the screen to the point where things look passable will be a pain in the ass.
extraterrestrialarts Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2021  Professional General Artist
Hmm.. how often is windows 10 required for update ? Would the updates change your settings and GUI customisation to get rid of much of flat design if possible (using classic shell) ? That is easy to fix or would need to wait for developers ? . Thanks for the info..
xTernal7 Featured By Owner Edited 6 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
> Would the updates change your settings and GUI customisation to get rid of much of flat design if possible (using classic shell) ?

Dunno, because let's be brutally honest on a few points: i dont do ricing (beyond obligatory PowerToys install for dat dropdown launcher/calculator combo) because it's huge waste of time, especially when win10 > win7. And if you wanna know why ricing on a surface is a waste of time:

* You'll pretty much only run Krita (or somethign else that aint GIMP) on that thing. Maybe also a browser. The point is: you'll click the icon on the taskbar and start doing shit. Not enough to justify ricing.
* I'm pretty much in the same bin. That's the D&D notes / writing on the bus / doodling / vacation machine — and in that order. Doesn't get enough use to justify any ricing, especially now that the corona lockdowns pretty much eliminated most of the reasons I've bought my surface for.
* As I said, Win10 design is superior to anything we've seen in Win7 days in just about every way short of the control panel which ... let's be honest, gets practically zero use. So let's not.

As for the frequency of windows updates ... also dunno. You get two bigger updates twice a year that take a bit longer, and some smaller updates every once in a while, which ... yes, you will have to reboot at some point and the reboot will take three minutes instead of thirty seconds, but that's hardly an inconvenience.

And for the amount of use you'll prolly get from the tablet, it's really, _really_ not worth installing Linux on it. The investment in time and in inconvenience required for running linux on Surface (and prolly most Surface-class devices) is honestly not worth when your tablet is basically doodle machine.
extraterrestrialarts Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Professional General Artist
It may be time consuming to you to get rid of the flat design, for me it is necessary to get rid of the flat design to make it more usable. I have cognitive issues with using flat design .. objects appear to "swim around" the screen , with no gradient, and differentiation between document and app. Flat design is poor design , if it stifles my ability to use the OS or Software, So it appears waiting for a linux tablet to appear or get an android or Apple iPad.. fuck...
xTernal7 Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
You're allowed to dislike flat design, but I'm sensing a few minor ... things that show that you're very poorly informed about a lot of things.
> or get an android or Apple iPad..
You will be very pleased to know that both Android and iOS make great use of flat design. There's plenty of reasons to go the iPad route and not the Surface route (and I believe I've listed a few in my initial reply), but "oh noes flat design" is objectively a bad reason to do so.
> for me it is necessary to get rid of the flat design to make it more usable. I have cognitive issues with using flat design
I'm not gonna say you're lying, but — given that you consider Android and iOS viable alternatives to flat design ... I'm gonna go with chinny reckon here. But let's stop calling out double standards and move on to the practical things.
Did you miss the first bullet point? I don't want to be rude, but it seems to me that you're pretending that doodling consists of 95% browsing start menu and Windows settings and 5% of screenshotting that and drawing over it in MS paint.
When in reality, you'll have about two or three icons pinned to the taskbar or start menu:
* Krita (or photoshop or whatever you use)
* Your browser
* (optional) File explorer
and you're never gonna venture too far outside of that. You can ditch file explorer entirely becuase:
* "open recent" is a thing that exists and
* you'll probably quickly discover that Dropbox / Google Drive / etc. is the way to go for having your art files synced between your devices.
Furthermore, windows 10 in tablet mode is pretty much exactly the same thing you're getting with android and probably iOS as well.
And here's android: https://i.imgur.com/44T8hcQ.png
Exact same thing, except that windows displays more applications at the same time and goes into 'recent files' territory down at the bottom.
Let's avoid the topic of launchers, where the optinons amount to:
* Android launchers, which are mostly complete and utter garbage (except for Evie and maybe some of the paid ones ... and Evie itself is basically roughly equivalent to windows desktop + alphabetical list you get at the side of start menu + power toys run¹ ).
* iOS, which is basically all apps on your device thrown together on one screen, except it's also flat design
* Windows start menu, which is flat out better than android and iOS launchers. The most noticeable feature of which is putting the entire icon inside a box so it couldn't be clearer where the icon ends: https://i.imgur.com/Duu5FDN.png
* Windows start menu except fullscreen, but we don't talk about that.
> and [no] differentiation between document and app.
???
This isn't even true for the new Windows 10 settings app.
> So it appears waiting for a linux tablet to appear
Here's how that's gonna work. It'll take at least a decade before it gets anywhere else to non-linux tablets while also costing twice as much as a similarly specced windows or android tablet when it does, while featuring a lot of the same issues you get when installing linux on a surface.
(Source: we've seen this exact story with the linux phones)
----
¹ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/run
extraterrestrialarts Featured By Owner 1 day ago  Professional General Artist
Its not just that I dislike flat design, I find it difficult to use , you don't understand how my mind works when I use interfaces, I feel stumped using flat design, where my workflow flows naturally when things are skeuomorphic. You may feel the problems I am feeling irrelevant because your mind and cognition may work differently to mine. I do have issues using iOS and Android when they became flat too.. its like I am forced to use it, but I struggle using it, thus makes me navigate slower than I would normally when using a skeuomorphic GUI. Windows 10 is flatter than Mojave MacOS in dark mode. It is flat, but does have a tiny distinct of 3D, or my mind does it. When it is light mode everything looks flat and appear to "swim" on the screen and I have to focus to see it properly. Then having issues of not knowing what to click and what not to click.. aka tap on phone/tablet. Thank goodness macOS has distinct shadows. under windows . which help a hell of a lot, and dont have to rely on the wallpaper to focus.
"> and [no] differentiation between document and app.
???
This isn't even true for the new Windows 10 settings app."
Not true, here you can see its like the whole user dialogue is one item https://www.benecke.cloud/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/2018-08-03-09_46_40-Field-Desksite-service-14.111.96.23-Remote-Desktop-Connection-remote.png compared to the windows 7 https://images.drivereasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/img_58072659426ac-600x443.jpg one or MacOS one. https://nektony.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/funter-system-preferences.png . The Windows one is so flat, that they do not even use colour where the icons appear more like vague symbols other than icons of objects in colour like in MacOS/Windows 7. This worsens the flat design effect on my eyes-cognition, making it harder to decipher, where I end up having to rely on mouse tool tip descriptions. So I have to wait for them to load, in order to understand and process my thought. So if your computer is running slow the condition process is made slower.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2021  Professional Artist
Personally I think I’d go for a Surface Pro and install Linux on it. I would anticipate challenges with pen input though. 
extraterrestrialarts Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2021  Professional General Artist
It appears that appears too be an option... maybe someone would come out with a Linux tablet in the future...
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Professional Artist
I've seen some projects on kickstarter that do it with a raspberry pi or similar hardware. I'd be really surprised if there was ever something particularly mainstream though - Linux isn't that popular for that sort of application and it doesn't have a wide enough audience. 

Given almost any tablet can be a Linux tablet so long as you're good enough at Linux I also don't think it would be particularly necessary.
xTernal7 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2021  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, that kinda makes Surface Pro a no-go.

Fortunately enough, on most older Surface models the pen does work at least for some values of work: github.com/linux-surface/linux…
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2021  Professional Artist
:shrug: like everything else with Linux if you're not prepared to deal with some challenges it's going to be a bad time.
xTernal7 Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
> if you're not prepared to deal with some challenges

When the thing that you need not only doesn't work, but there's also zero hoops for you to jump through in order to make it work ... Well, there's a point where things go from "but you'll have to deal with some challenges" to "objectively the wrong answer."
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Professional Artist
Sounds like you are not prepared to deal with challenges.
xTernal7 Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Or maybe I'm smart enough to realize that when the challenge amounts to "spend half a year¹ reverse engineering the pencil and writing a driver for it", and when the rewards of completing that challenge amount to "yeah I don't have to use windows for like 5 hours a month I'm gonna spend drawing on the Surface" ... as I said, objectively the wrong answer. There's plenty of more productive ways to spend those six months. (And besides yourself, only an "arch superiorest" kind of smoothbrains would consider something with this amount of drawbacks as a serious suggestion)

¹And the only reason I say 6 months as opposed to longer is because I actually have the programming knowledge necessary to do something like that.
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Professional Artist
:lol: ok
Add a Comment: