January 20, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Touch Screen Monitor vs Graphics Tablet

:iconfayari:
Fayari Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
So... Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you here have ever tried to use a touch screen monitor instead of a regular graphics tablet.

You see, I was once again lamenting the fact that even the cheapest of the Wacom Cintiq series was so out of my current price range, it wasn't even funny. And then the unthinkable happened. I ate a vegetable (don't ask me what it was, I think it was a some sort of light-blue carrot thing). Anyway, during my vegetable-eating, I stumbled upon the idea to just buy a cheap but responsive touchscreen monitor that comes with a stylus.

I figured that for my purposes, it would be just like drawing with a really barebones Cintiq. I mean, it's not like I ever even use pen pressure (which might explain my extremely mediocre art, but whatever...)

I would appreciate any insights on the matter.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
If you're not using pressure sensitivity you're really missing out. A touch screen monitor won't have the same level or accuracy nor sensitivity to your exact movements. For that reason I wouldn't recommend it.
:iconmorikoraion:
MorikoRaion Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I actually have used a touchscreen laptop with a stylus. It belongs to a friend of mine. If you really want to look at some, check out the HP Touchsmart tM2. The stylus does have pressure sensitivity and works with a variety of products. I'm pretty sure the cheaper ones are about 500-600$. The only big con is that it has a small screen.

The Cintiq is probably much bigger, more professional, and has more pressure sensitivity.

It's your call, though.
:icondolcux:
Dolcux Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
thats what i'm using right now. i'm a hobbyist and i'm not that great, but its fine for me. and yes the screen is pretty small. its a little over 12" diagonally i think
:icondarkmagistric:
darkmagistric Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
Missed that last bit

responsive touchscreen monitor that comes with a "stylus"

Thats acctually very rare. The only Touchscreens that have a stylus are Active Digitizer based Tablet PCs.

Even with Cintiqs....only the $3600 Cintiq 24 HD touch has touch....the rest of the cintiqs are pen only.

Even Wacoms other Non-Cintiq pen displays are Pen only....but they still cost nearly as much as a Cintiq.

The Link I posted is a new product coming from Lenovo that brings a Penabled Display with a Wacom digitizer down to a cheap $350 price point.

Wacom does have compeition that does produce cheaper display & pen options.....like N-trig...Hanvon, Kingtee.

Although the Kingtee options are very well recommended....I'd recommned just sticking with Wacom.
:iconfayari:
Fayari Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
This Kingtee of which you speak looks very promising. Tell me more.
:icondarkmagistric:
darkmagistric Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
No No No No No......Unless the Monitor is designed for Pen use with an active digitizer.......A touch screen monitor is a bad idea for making art on.

Don't get me wrong its certainly.... possiable.....kind of....but most Desptop apps aren't exactly fine tuned for touch in the same way that Ipad or Android Apps are. And given how many "Touch Only" screen monitors there are nowadays (thanks to Win 8) from so many different vendors....the actual responsivness will vary greatly. A Capacative Stylus works ok on an Ipad....but I've had other capactive based tablets and displays where it doens't work nearly as well.

If your looking for a more affordable alternative to a Cintiq...I'd recommned checking this.

[link]
Add a Comment: