Closed to new replies
March 17, 2016
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

can't login HELP

:iconvexfox:
VexFox Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2016  Professional General Artist
Okay so I can't login to my account if I'm 1. On pc or 2. Using my WiFi. I'll just quote my exchange with tech support to show why:

Me: I can't login to my account on pc. I can login from my phone on both the Web mobile and mobile app. When I try to login on pc it tells me I have the wrong password. I've reset my password multiple times, made sure my cookies were enabled, and then cleared my cookies and I'm still having the same problem. I can login to other accounts like my adoptable account on pc though. I was logged in last night and everything was fine and no one has touched the computer since then.

Tech: We have determined that your browser is sending DeviantArt invalid "session cookies." When the site receives these cookies, it temporarily prevents login as a security measure.

In order to re-establish a smooth login for you, we need you to take a look at other activity your browser may be engaged in. Bots, extensions or userscripts such as unofficial DeviantArt extensions (like dA Message Notifier for Google Chrome), can generate invalid session cookies, so if you are using any of these please let us know. Another common source can be the use of bulk image downloaders. There could also be interference from the way in which your browser in general is handling changes and deletions to cookies or the browser’s cookie cache.

Please see if deleting or changing the behavior of any of these possibilities in your browser resolves you login issues. The only way to sign in until your issue is resolved is via a device on a different internet connection.

I DID USE ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WAS CAUSING A PROBLEM. I was using the one click Llama badge: kishan-bagaria.deviantart.com/…
I deleted tampermonkey from my extensions since that was the only thing showing up for it. I was still having the same problem so I emailed tech support back again.

Tech: I'm afraid without access to your system we cannot say for certain what is causing this issue on your end. The suggestions provided earlier are just recommendations as to what may be causing this issue for you based on past related issues. Unfortunately if none of those suggestions helped we can only ask you to continue to investigate this issue on your end in the hopes of finding the underlying cause. If you are ever able to find a solution please be sure to let us know.I

After that I reset my browser to default (Google Chrome) and restarted my computer again. Still having the same problem. I installed Firefox and tried logging in there and still had the problem.

Basically: my account is screwed up by the site and tech doesn't know how their own site works in able to fix it, so I have to fix it myself now.

If you have any ideas on how to fix this please tell me, I would really appreciate it! I had to type this on my phone so please excuse any typos.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwolfusimagius:
WolfusImagius Featured By Owner Mar 19, 2016  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I had this issue before, you just have to wait some days (I recommend 5 days) on that device. You will be able to login after that, it's a really silly bug.

And don't worry, far as I know extensions don't cause that trouble.
:iconns-games:
NS-Games Featured By Owner Edited Mar 17, 2016  Hobbyist General Artist
You know, I think the programmers overlooked a major bug in this particular system. Of course invalid sessions cookies will be sent if someone logs into two different devices on two separate connections and then logs out on only one of the two devices. Cause it leaves a session cookie open that's no longer valid on the device that wasn't properly logged off of.

Now, I'm not sure about this, but I think overuse of Sta.sh can cause this particular issue as well. I've noticed that Sta.sh opens a second session whenever it's used, and signing out from only one of the two sites each time could possibly yield another invalid cookie.

Either way, just give it two to three days and the lockout should be lifted.
VexFox Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2016  Professional General Artist
You're actually probably right. Thankfully leaving it alone for a few days does fix it. 
NS-Games Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2016  Hobbyist General Artist
That's actually how it happened to me a few years back. I was trying to figure out what was opening a second session, and by doing so I created too many invalid cookies. Eventually my account got locked down from my IP Address. Luckily I found a work around by logging into it with my laptop at another location and just staying signed in for the two days.
VexFox Featured By Owner Mar 24, 2016  Professional General Artist
Well this is what they said when I brought it up:

While it is true that each site, Sta.sh and the main DeviantArt.com have their own session cookie, I'm afraid this is not why you are being locked out of the account. The method they are describing would only create 1 extra session, this would not cause your account to lock. In fact, when you are locked out it is because you are often sending over 100 invalid connections. So long as you are doing so the account will stay locked. Leaving the site for a few days can have its benefits, since you are not sending hundreds of invalid tokens the block will eventually be lifted, but once you return, if the underlying issue is not resolved, then you can be locked out once again.

Methinks it's more likely they just don't want to admit there's a flaw in their site.
NS-Games Featured By Owner Edited Mar 24, 2016  Hobbyist General Artist
It's possible. But they are right, sometimes automatic code or issues with your web browser can cause this issue. But I honestly think that limit is lower than 100 connections.

All I know is that the last time it happened to me I know it was self inflicted since I logged in an out and forced sessions to close. Heck, at one point during the whole thing I tried using Internet Explorer to replicate my problem, which actually dropped around 5 sessions on me entirely. Given this was back around 2010 if I remember correctly. I may have been trying to use IE 6 stupidly.
VexFox Featured By Owner Mar 25, 2016  Professional General Artist
Honestly I've been using the site for years and I've never had this problem until now. The only thing I've changed is maybe I've been using stash more. I probably open it 100 times a day or more. 
NS-Games Featured By Owner Mar 25, 2016  Hobbyist General Artist
That's actually why I try to limit the number of times I sign on and off a day. 
:iconkokutan-wolf:
Kokutan-Wolf Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2016  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's probably a glitch in DeviantArt this happen to me back in December. Tried to delete your history or cookies in your computer and phone. If that don't work just wait for 3-5 days and then log back in. For now try to use a different wi-fi service until this annoying glitch ends. 
:iconelectricjonny:
electricjonny Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2016  Hobbyist Photographer
Try disabling or removing any sort of extension or script running in your browser.  Or if you use Firefox, go to Help -> Restart Firefox With Add-ons Disabled.
I already said I did that
Well in any case, it appears to be on your end.  So the only real thing you can do is try to set any internet type things to their defaults.
Actually at this point I doubt it's on my end. 
Well considering that most people don't seem to have this problem, it seems it is on your end.  I just logged in and out of another account of mine without any problems.
Considering all the people who replied to the forum that had the problem said it was a problem with the site, I'm about 99% sure it's not on my end.
Well fair enough, but this is typically a user end problem.
I don't think it is for this
:iconrizaharmona:
RizaHarmona Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2016  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ugh I hate that glitch! That happebed to me too right before Valentines Day and I already had art I was planning on posting. I was so upset, I didn't touch Deviant art for about 5 days and when I tried again it let me log back in.

I guess its just a wait thing. Im so sorry this happened to you :(
:iconhandful-of-dust:
Handful-of-Dust Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2016  Hobbyist General Artist
Ugh, really sorry to hear that Mythic. :( I have no idea how to fix it. I googled it and found a bunch of different theories, but it seems to be a rampant thing that's affecting a lot of people. One comment said to try using a proxy server (no idea wtf that is, and I'm too lazy to look it up because I have a killer migraine atm.) Another suggestion was to go to Internet Options and go to the Privacy tab and turn cookies allowance to medium-high (though apparently this only works for Internet Explorer?).

Here's another theory:

comments.deviantart.com/1/4675…

Other people said that the problem went away after a few days. I'm not sure. Seems like a problem on DA's end, and they need to get back on it again. Cause apparently they already fixed this problem once:

support.deviantart.com/entries…

:/
:iconminilog:
Minilog Featured By Owner Edited Mar 17, 2016  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Try going into your deviantart 'Settings' then going to section saying 'Sessions' the select 'Logout all other sessions'. If you want to be extra careful see if you can change your password to something else too. Hope this helps!
:iconvoidburn:
VoidBurn Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2016  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Have you tried running any virus scans? Cleared your internet history? Ran a normal scanner such as CCleaner?
:iconrhapsodize-adopts:
Rhapsodize-Adopts Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2016  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I was having some similar trouble with my computer a couple of weeks back.

Have you tried clearing your cache? Or tried turning off your Wi-Fi and turning it back on?
Add a Comment: