September 14
Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

show me your practice/study art

:iconcaynez:
Caynez Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Student Digital Artist
portrait study by Caynez portrait study #2 by Caynez Study #1 by Caynez

I try to base on a photo, but at the same time either simplify or change things a bit. (Much inspired by Sam Yang in this area) This lets my train my color and workflow. I learn to come up with solution to certain problems. In near future I want to search even more for my artstyle, while maintaning realistic lightning. I want to try some more manga/cartoony faces too.

What about you guys?

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconlumenox:
Lumenox Featured By Owner 4 hours ago  Hobbyist General Artist
I practiced many things these last months :)
I copied Lecaravage here to understand lighting in "clair obscur" /chiaroscuro style:
David - Lecaravage by Lumenox  
since then, I think I incorporated the style in mine: for instance:
FF7 - Cerberus by Lumenox   FF10 - To Zanarkand by Lumenox   FF10 - I won't forget by Lumenox  

I also suck in scenaries, so I trained a bit lately:
August 13 Silhouette by Lumenox   August 23 Adventure by Lumenox  

and I want to incorporate a watercolor feel in my digital art, cause I started as a traditional artist after all :)
August 22 Garden by Lumenox   CH -  Firestorm by Lumenox  
this latter style is still not perfect now but I'm working on it :)
:iconkanago:
KanaGo Featured By Owner 1 day ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Study of flying birds: stork and sea-gull by KanaGo    Study of flying birds: hummingbird by KanaGo     Study of water drops 1 by KanaGo  
Traditional studies of flying birds and dripping water. 
:iconmlkfantasies:
mlkfantasies Featured By Owner 3 days ago
Hi Caynez! I started using and studying references recently.
Everything I've done from this:
LUA - Study 1 - Iris, refreshing water by mlkfantasies
to this:
LUA - Study 14 - Wake up Iris by mlkfantasies
which is, everything with "study ..." in the title have been done looking at various references picture for lighting, posture, expressions, and trying to "understand how the world works" through them!
:iconcuestionador:
Cuestionador Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
SKETCH 008: FACELESS GIRL by Cuestionador   
:iconwolfzol:
wolfzol Featured By Owner Edited 3 days ago   Digital Artist
Your style very nice! ^.^ i recommended Toko Suzuki artworks if you love the portraits! ^.^

With these practice/study arts i tried something new or different from the usual.

Faella - The Rat Girl - Practice by wolfzol   T-Rex - Lurking for prey - Study by wolfzol   Scale and Important letter - Practice by wolfzol    Reference Practice - Sakura Miyawaki by wolfzol Reference Practice - Ryo Yoshizawa by wolfzol Night - Study by wolfzol

Hmm. If we think about it, every drawing and painting is always practice and study. New materials, new things and compositions/perspectives.
Of course, the habits and free-times of artists are also different. Some people can afford to practice separately before a serious job, while some can only practice during a serious job due to a simple lack of time. :)
:iconsasapen:
sasapen Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have a complete manga/anime style and tend to ignore anatomy for impact,
but only refer to live action when thinking about light sources.
However, I tend to change it according to my own preference.

Lately, I've been practicing drawing backgrounds,
so I'm mainly practicing adapting live action to my own patterns.
Tokyo by sasapen   P3 by sasapen   Lunch by sasapen   Wanted by sasapen   
:iconaquaticjm:
AquaticJM Featured By Owner 4 days ago   General Artist
I like to draw instagram models and celebs to practice~

Camila Kendra by AquaticJM   Study: Spence Crosby by AquaticJM Color Palette Study: Zendaya by AquaticJM Color Palette Study: Niels Horvath by AquaticJM   Color Palette Study: Aiyana Lewis by AquaticJM  
:iconhyliabeilschmidt:
HyliaBeilschmidt Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Ideology by HyliaBeilschmidt
fyeah, photoshop effects!
:iconjuliamersmann:
JuliaMersmann Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Professional Digital Artist
SymbolCompilation by JuliaMersmann I try doing a doodle of a symbol a day. Actually I still have to find my style of digital coloration... and yeah! Realistic lighting is a thing I am studying aswell... but I am far from being as good as you. Any suggestions?
Lamia by JuliaMersmann
:iconpencilframeart:
PencilframeArt Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Student Digital Artist
These are experiments that I made when I was still searching my art style:

The Division Bell by PencilframeArt Grass by PencilframeArt Under the ocean by PencilframeArt Anthro cat at the beach by PencilframeArt The alien by PencilframeArt
:iconcraftsbyblue:
craftsbyblue Featured By Owner Edited 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Every piece is practice/study to me xD.

For comics I focus more on poses/proportions since I don't draw much of a background in the panels (yet) xD. 
For illustrations/sketches the focus depends on the piece.

Comics:

Out of Memory - The Promise by craftsbyblue   Out of Memory - Devour by craftsbyblue   Out of Memory - Fear by craftsbyblue  

Illustrations:

Out of Memory - Solace by craftsbyblue    Out of Memory - Emptiness II by craftsbyblue   Out of Memory - Trust by craftsbyblue  
:iconvampiric-conure:
Vampiric-Conure Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Professional Traditional Artist
Some finished pieces that I do just for the sake of playing with pictures, paint and composition :) 

Wild Blue HeadedPionus by Vampiric-Conure   Lounging Around by Vampiric-Conure   Stay'n for the Heat by Vampiric-Conure

:iconbeepbeepimmadragon8:
BeepBeepImmaDragon8 Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Dress Drawing Practice 1 by BeepBeepImmaDragon8  An Original Dress Design I'm making without reference. It's nowhere near complete and will add the other glove, detail on the shoes, and give the midsection more elements and maybe stylize the face and a different hairstyle. The arm pose is in case I draw a wide enough dress it won't get in the hand's way

Mayumi Style Rough Sketch 2 Different Hair by BeepBeepImmaDragon8   A Bandori OC I'm working on. I'm not sure about the bangs blowing that far away but will rework it. She's a ballerina but she is wearing street clothes

Black Ink Dress 3 by BeepBeepImmaDragon8   Black Ink Test Dress 2 by BeepBeepImmaDragon8  Just practice using Black Ink's brushes. I'm still on its demo and it's great so far. I just got Corel Essentials but not any of the DLC brushpacks yet 

And from my practice folder

Hair and Brush Test by BeepBeepImmaDragon8  Another Black Ink practice especially with setting brushes to gradient, so the blue and yellow changed depending on pen pressure same with the mannequin's shading 

And more outfits!

Dress Practice 6 by BeepBeepImmaDragon8   Lolita Dress Practice Original No Reference 1 by BeepBeepImmaDragon8   Lolita Dress Practice 3 by BeepBeepImmaDragon8   Hair Practice Set 1 by BeepBeepImmaDragon8  

Value studies 

Values Practice Yeonjun Pastel Correction by BeepBeepImmaDragon8   Values Practice Yeonjun High Contrast by BeepBeepImmaDragon8   

:iconaverageearthfolk:
AverageEarthFolk Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Student Digital Artist
Very pretty work. Your painting is very refined. Here's some from me:

Bonsai Tree - Digital Painting Practice 2 by AverageEarthFolk   Last Known Survivor by AverageEarthFolk   Human Eye (again) by AverageEarthFolk   Light Cycle Digital Painting Study by AverageEarthFolk  
:icondqube:
dqube Featured By Owner 5 days ago   Digital Artist
These are me trying to cover aspects im lacking understanding of, there are so many things to study XD. 

I used one of the resulting portrait from art breeder to make the gray skin girl with black hair. The original had some very unpleasant sclera and iris glitches. I changed the face shape, facial features, eyelashes, added a neck piece and drew the eyes properly. 

The issue with the blonde was that i used an ai that couldn't handle conflicting settings so it made a face that was half slim half chubby. I basically re-interpreted the image the ai gave me.

I call these AI photo studies with changes.    
   Fantasy Girl Portrait by dqube   AI generated Girl fix by dqube  

This is me trying a "drone view" (i can't call it a bird's eye view if it's not at flying distance)
Sakuya 2021 by dqube  
:iconkarren-san:
Karren-san Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Student General Artist
Cat emotions sketch by Karren-san   Random sketches 1 by Karren-san   Jellyfish sketches by Karren-san   Hotaru - quick sketch by Karren-san  
:iconscottahemi:
ScottaHemi Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I sometimes do pose studies.

Cyberpunk Propane Sword Pose Practice by ScottaHemi Buff Orc Practice by ScottaHemi Roadburn by ScottaHemi Holly pose practice 1 by ScottaHemi Pose practice Pole Staff by ScottaHemi Back Ref Study by ScottaHemi
:iconhobby-crafts:
Hobby-Crafts Featured By Owner Edited 5 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Tablet Sketch - Tab Art by Hobby-Crafts Subtraction - 1.1 by Hobby-Crafts Subtraction 1.2 by Hobby-Crafts Impromptu  - 11.0 by Hobby-Crafts Tree test by Hobby-Crafts   
I'm trying to do another scene without any references. All these accept the first one were done without references. I've never done a face before without references either, not sure if that really interests me though.
:iconfoxofwonders:
Foxofwonders Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Those are wonderful! Love your subtle stylisations! :D
While I use references all the time, it's more rare for me to do a full study.
Here are some of them (references in their descriptions. Took some creative liberty with the last one):
Landscape Study by Foxofwonders    Cassowary by Foxofwonders    Elegance by Foxofwonders   
:iconawsomejet3d:
Awsomejet3D Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Filmographer
Here's a animated project that I am currently working on 
youtu.be/ne0IzZe6TCA

Animation is called Dasiy the Shygal vs Spitjet part 2 
:iconthriller-killer13:
Thriller-Killer13 Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Student General Artist
I do a lot of traditional warm up drawings from pictures I get on pinterest that I save to draw later, i also just search up poses and stuff to help me for later compositions i'd be working on
20210913 141418 by Thriller-Killer13   20210908 123645 by Thriller-Killer13   20210907 220433 by Thriller-Killer13   20210727 171326 by Thriller-Killer13   20210727 171304 by Thriller-Killer13   20210826 125957 by Thriller-Killer13   20210828 124028 by Thriller-Killer13   
Caynez Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Student Digital Artist
Yes! Pinterest is awesome to help , I use it to store inspiration and ref. I will soon start using it for sketches!
:iconthriller-killer13:
Thriller-Killer13 Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Student General Artist
Yeah it's pretty handy! I usually get like 3 or 4 pictures, and then just sketch them out before working on other stuff for the day
:iconcapndeek373:
CapnDeek373 Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Professional General Artist
the Pirelli Kiss by CapnDeek373   how they started by CapnDeek373   Fahrenheit by CapnDeek373   22 and 23 years ago by CapnDeek373
This looks pretty interesting, variety of trainings :>
:iconcapndeek373:
CapnDeek373 Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Professional General Artist
Thanks! I usually donít post WIPs on here. (the Pirelli Kiss being the exception), but sometimes I do show preliminary sketches after Iíve post things. Or sometimes a re-do
:ahoy:
:iconnighteba:
Nighteba Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hone your Skills (WIP) by Nighteba   Fall harder and Jump Higher, test cycle by Nighteba   An Unexpected watcher (animated) by Nighteba  
Animation training.
Tutorial 101 : Dragon (with a catch) by Nighteba  
Training training.
You are doing great so far! keep it up <3
:iconnighteba:
Nighteba Featured By Owner 10 hours ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks but I STILL NEED TO IMPROVE
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
:iconmidnightdj-sk:
MidnightDJ-SK Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Student General Artist
Practicing perspective, my weakest aspect:
A bigger sword by MidnightDJ-SK Arcane rush by MidnightDJ-SK
Try to copy other people's art style/proportions:
Blue Evening attaire by MidnightDJ-SK [Mild NSFW] OC- Fei Umbra in k-y-h-u style by MidnightDJ-SK Mezizas's Embrace by MidnightDJ-SK
Very action like , nice!
Add a Comment: