Statistics

Replies: 56

Share your Mythology art and the story behind it

:iconpdopes:
PDopeS Featured By Owner Edited Jul 22, 2021  Student Digital Artist
Starting with me:
Mythology from India
Radha and Krishna by PDopeS
Radha and krishna are the Hindu Mythology's most renouned and whole some couple. It was a love at first sight. In the village Vrindavan, lived a gopi (milkmaid) Radha and the most divine and beautiful child Krishna (avatar of god Vishnu who created the whole world). They loved eachother with their whole heart and valued their partner's life more than their's. 

This picture depicts the last night spent by Radha and Krishna before he departs to Mathura (a town) to kill his evil uncle - Raja Kansa. Radha and Krishna do not meet for 100 years due to Sudama's curse. They had to live their life separated. Krishna married two princesses and Radha marries another villager. Though their love for eachother remains unchanged. In the end, Radha dies in the tunes of Krishna's beloved flute and he broke his instrument as a symbol for death of his love.
As a kid, tales of Krishna aired on tv and I shipped them very hard only to realize that they did not end up together. 

Fun fact: Radha and Krishna marry the same night as they knew they will not see eachother for many years

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:icontheunlimitedfortress:
TheUnlimitedFortress Featured By Owner 2 days ago
Tesa Lykia | Queen of Battle (Final)|[PI]
TheUnlimitedFortress Featured By Owner 4 days ago
Truth-Seeker | Telltale Heart (Sketch)| [TM] by TheUnlimitedFortress

A traveler across time and space -- searching for Truth. 
:iconnebuladreams:
NebulaDreams Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Student Writer
I ought to brush up on Hindu mythology, what I've seen of it looks interesting.

A Yeti's Creation by NebulaDreams    Ahmackbabey by NebulaDreams  

The yeti is derived from Tibetan mythology since they've been rumoured to inhabit the Himalayas, and one supposed inspiration for the yeti comes from the Tibetan Blue Bear, a very rare bear subspecies whose fur samples were mistaken for yeti fur. Yeti and Bigfoot often get lumped into similar categories, and while sasquatches were supposedly products of rumours and hoaxes as well, it also has its roots in Native American folklore, from tales of 'wild men' or Tsiatko who are said to roam the forests at night. 

The novel project I'm working on explores monsters such as sasquatches and mothmen living peacefully amongst humans. Since yeti and bigfoot are prominently featured in this story, I plan on exploring the mythology behind them in later stages. The protagonist is a yeti himself, and because yetis are rare in that world, he's treated as a curiosity even amongst sasquatches. The implication I want to touch upon is that because yetis have adapted more to the wild because of the extreme winter conditions in their habitats, they still have hunting instincts instilled in them even if they have human-like intelligence. A lot of the monsters in that world have similar traits and instincts, but yetis also have increased aggression, which is something the protag struggles with because he doesn't want the world to see him as a ferocious beast.
Huitzi | OC Design (Avenging Angel) [Shade]|[HT]
Huitzi is a Dark Hero who goes on a crusade of vengeance/retribution (single-handedly) against The Syndicate (criminal organization). She is empowered by Huitzilopochtli, the Aztec's Patron Deity (Lord of the Sun and War God). This setting in a post-WWIII scenario (at the tail end of the 21st Century in Mexico).
:icondevine-escapes:
Devine-Escapes Featured By Owner Jul 24, 2021  Professional Artisan Crafter
Egg Cairn | Devin Devine by Devine-Escapes

In the very beginning there was a Cosmic Egg. The first entity to emerge from this Egg was like a man, but semi beastly, brutish and hairy. His name was Panku and he emerged from the Cosmic Egg and soon set about the business of creating the world. For this task, our beast of a man did have a hammer, and with this hammer, the Hammer of Panku, he did set about shaping, fashioning and constructing the world in which we now live.

A calm and patient artisan….it is somewhat unclear why the stories tell of him as part-beast. Perhaps he was a gentle and sensitive entity….as the beauty of our world suggests that he must have been….but despite this sensitivity, he just happened to be hairy. Or maybe Panku was really Pan—and really did have the legs of a beast. But despite the beauty he carved into our world, he left the task incomplete. This is why there are problems and needless suffering in the world: its construction was never completed and as such, it just doesn’t function properly, much of the time.

Some say he gave up, or got tired or frustrated with the task of world making. Hey, once I knew a guy who gave up building his house, when it was half-way complete. These things happen. And so Panku did toss his hammer aside…somewhere he sits now in a pagoda probably, straight chillin’. The world was halfway finished, but it already had grapes and women and music so…..time for a break!

Or did he lose the hammer accidentally? In any event, the hammer was lost or forgotten and this is the quest now: find the Hammer of Panku. You’ll have to spend years seeking it out there, even though it was inside you all along. You still have to go out seeking, to find it.
Find the hammer of Panku. You Hammer Heart, let the hammer forever live within your breast, every heartbeat a gentle hammer strike, urging you forward. Go now, and help create the world.
PDopeS Featured By Owner Jul 24, 2021  Student Digital Artist
Wow that was interesting!
:icondevine-escapes:
Devine-Escapes Featured By Owner Jul 24, 2021  Professional Artisan Crafter
Just my version, of an old story. Thanks
:iconpetdan64:
petdan64 Featured By Owner Edited Jul 24, 2021  Hobbyist General Artist
From Christian mythology:

"St. John in the Desert"
St. John in the Desert by petdan64

More info in the description of the picture ;-)
You did a great job in connecting these peoples' attributes to their corresponding natural (objects)
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yuki-onna by ARTificialphanTOM
Yuki-onna-Japanese snow spirit that lures men to their deaths during snow storms.

Poseidon by ARTificialphanTOM
Poseidon-God of the sea.
Fantastic!
:iconsia-mon:
Sia-Mon Featured By Owner Edited Jul 22, 2021  Hobbyist General Artist
I have a lot of creature designs that are inspired by various mythologies:

Based on Apollo and Artemis from Greek myths:  Vayamon 4: Griffapollo by Sia-Mon   Vayamon 4: Panartemis by Sia-Mon  

Based on Norse myths:  Vayamon 4: Retska by Sia-Mon   Vayamon 4: Ragnarir by Sia-Mon    

Based on French myths:  Vayamon 4: Garvern by Sia-Mon   Vayamon 3: Tarrasconn by Sia-Mon  

Based on Mexican myths:  Vayamon 4  Yapoclaw by Sia-Mon   Vayamon 2- Raycotl by Sia-Mon

The list goes on... 

Wow, you did an amazing job! Keep it up!
Sia-Mon Featured By Owner Jul 24, 2021  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes, I love creating my creatures. Which one is your favourite? I ask this because itís interesting to see which designs are the most favoured.
Your every piece is good but to be specific, I reallly liked the Apollo one and the Mexican myths
Sia-Mon Featured By Owner Jul 24, 2021  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks!
:icontheblackhorned:
TheBlackHorned Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Hobbyist Digital Artist
 Norse mythology drawing, some designs, and two illustrations based off a dream. 

God Of Mischief by TheBlackHorned Path To Midgard by TheBlackHorned Observer by TheBlackHorned Freyja And Loki by TheBlackHorned
You drew this on the basic of your dream. I have no words for this! It would be nice if I knew their story tho 
Durga Ma| OC Design (Just Fury) [LineArt]|[JH] by TheUnlimitedFortress

Introducing Durga Ma, a major supporting character for our original comic series Journey Home. This series is a traveler's tale. Specifically our story follows Meera (a young and seemingly ordinary girl) on her journey of self-discovery to find a place where she may belong within the vast expanse of the cosmos. Along the way she meets many people who discover that she is more than meets the eye and benefit greatly from the encounter. 

Sidenote: Didn't know Radha and Krishna married, it isn't included in Krishna's official 16,108 wives (princesses) in Dvaraka. :-? (Confused) What I do know is that they were Paramour Lovers. Khana would often sneak past Radha's relatives to meet her. I believe she sees Krishna again at the Battlefield of Kurushetra (prior to the first day of battle), she travelled there with Krishna's parents, Nanda and Yasodha. :D (Big Grin) Krishna and Radha were like in their late 70s early 80s when they reunite. Also Radha is said to be an expansion of Lakhsmi Devi, Goddess of Fortune and spouse of Narayan! Rukmini Devi (Vasudev's Chief Wife) is said to be yet another expansion of Lakhsmi Devi 

www.stephen-knapp.com/1032krsn…
PDopeS Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Student Digital Artist
Ahhh Durga ma. Us Indians do worship her during Ganesh Chaturti. It is an excellent piece. Happy that Indian gods are also known all over the world.
What you said is true but in those times, earth years differed. 1 year for them would be 103 years for us. So Krishna and Radha would probably be in their mid 20's or 30's. Also yeah, they get married but in secret tho. In North India, Uttar Pradesh, there is tourist site where Krishna and Radha get married. And ofc Radha wont be included in Krishna's official 16,108 wives in Dvaraka cuz she never went to Dwarka. It is a very less known fact but its true (I think) .
Yes Radha and Rukmini are avatars of Lakshmi but she actually is the wife of Vishnu (who is the highest form of Narayana)
Jai Ganapati!! PARTY HARD Gotta dance for Modak! meowwoo
Ganesha | OC Design (Father of Chintamani) [Line]|
Ganesha will also be an active supporting character in our Journey Home series. It follows the story of a young naga girl, Meera -- as she begins a journey of self-discovery to find her missing father (a legendary war hero who saved the Naga realms from Demon invasion). Along the way she has interesting encounters and intriguing people. Meera is particularly attuned to Durga Ma, as Meera is particularly gifted in mysticism.
Meera | Happy Birthday Bapu! (Final)|[JH]
Sidenote: Now I hear you about Radha and Krishna aging differently, they're not humans to begin with but divine beings. But the time dilation you're referring to is the difference between the Earth and Vaikunta realm correct? They're on Earth, so subject to earth time. Although as they're godly beings, they don't age past 16 years of age. In both Mahabharata and Bhagavad Purana it is mentioned that the form of Krishna always appears like he's in the prime of life, which is judged to look like 16 years old. Even when he's an old great grandpa, at 135 years of age, he isn't looking older than 16! :D
Then there's the matter about Uddava visiting Vrindavan. And Radharani was already sitting there with Krsna, as if he'd never left the gopis. It's a magical scene...though somewhat wild. But I suppose if Krsna could manifest and unmanifest into 16108 forms everyday and make every wife think he was only visiting/favoring them than what's one more form for the gopis, right? :tigergiggle: He is always an elusive one to understand...Ranchod, right?
The Bhagavad Purana alludes to their age in terms of earth years when narrating that event of family reunion prior to the great war at Kurushetra. Also, I'm baffled by how bizarre the Yadhu Dynasty came to an end...a sage's curse and a male grandchild of Krsna giving birth to an iron ball...and how that just makes everyone crazy...then Krsna getting shot through the foot by a hunter.
Compared to how bizarre Krsna left the earth, I can wrap my head around how Ramachandra left the Earth. Much nicer and more orderly. :meownod:
PDopeS Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2021  Student Digital Artist
First of all, your drawings are awesome as always.
Secondly, you know so much about Indian mythology (even more than me 😂) I might have to take lessons.
Tbh I cracked up (Ik I shouldnt be) when I learned that Krishna dies due to a mere hit by an arrow
Thank you! We aim to do our best in our creative pursuits! Hamtaro Mouse Emoji-06 (Kawaii Dance) [V1]
The arrow head is from the same piece of iron his grandson birthed...it's so messed up...I mean what the heck... @_@
Lord Krsna's last words were "Do not grieve, this is all fated. As karma dictates, all that was meant to has come to pass." He told that to the hunter, Jara, who shot him -- or at least that's the passage from the Bhagavad Purana.
And don't worry about it, I took Comparative Religions Studies in college/university (as part of my electives). Some of the recommended readings where Ramayana and Mahabharata -- later on I sought out the mahapuranas of which I've read through Shiva, Vishnu, and Bhagavad Puranas somewhat. I say somewhat since all of these are English translations...so you know how a lot is lost in translation. I don't know much about sanskrit, but I know it's just as subtle and nuanced as Japanese -- which means it very complicated (with a million ways to interpret just a single sentence. What to speak about translating an entire volume into another language like English. XD
Anyhow, studying world cultures; their histories, legends, and general beliefs is a passion and hobby of mind since my youth. You're dealing with someone who lives and breathes this stuff. Llama Emoji-79 (Fabulous) [V4] I'm not an Indian cultural expert, I view myself more as a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to world culture. I have a solid grasp on all the general stuff...some of the deeper lore is lost on me... But I hope to rectify that...since I've recently taken particular interest in Vedic Lore. Enough to back up/work on a creative project dedicated to celebrating it! :bestbuddies:
Sidenote: I'm assuming this marriage with Radharani is the Gandharva style wedding, the "eloping" I keep hearing about. Also known as the Rasaleela, correct? :ponder:
Sidenote: When Brahma stole Krsna's playmates and the cows to "test Bhagavan" in the Bhagavad Purana, he took them to Brahmaloka. It was one second on Brahmaloka, but one year passes on Earth. Brahmaloka is the highmost planet/realm in material creation. Whereas Vaikunta exists beyond that within the Spiritual Sky. So I'd imagine that Vaikunta time is barely a fraction of a second for one year of the Earth planet.
And as we know that one day of Brahma is close to 4.32 billion earth years...it gets crazy, but that's a mahayuga. Cosmic time is measured around Brahma's life...and he lives for 100 years (his time), which is many trillions of trillions of trillions of years for us... This video briefly covers cosmic time according to Vedic Sources.
Wow thats too much info to grasp. You really love studying myths dats so cool. I wish I had dedication in Histrory as you. I havent passed out school yet so I have to study India's freedom struggle all over again n its kinda boring.
As far as I know, Rasleela isnt associated with marriage. Krishna danced with Radha and other Gopis and the event was called Rasleela. We still celebrate Rasleela in our school and society. It is so much fun to dance with your friends and I am glad that this aspect of our culture hasnt died (but due to this pandemic, we lost 2 yrs of joy 😭.
Also the videos you shared are quite informative. Thank you!
I believe rasaleela is the act of consummating the relationship. Krsna took Radha and the gopis as his paramour beloved from that point onwards. It's a Gandharva styled elopement (i.e., wedding) as the musicians of heaven don't like formal vows and prefer to consummate relationship on personal agreements between their life partners.
This is just one of eight types of wedding recorded in the ancient vedic scriptures. Gandharva marriage is like modern cohabitation...except they don't split up later one. Personal honor/virtue is expected in that form of "marriage". However, of course it isn't regarded as practical for humans, whom need contracts and solemn ceremonies to solidify commitments to one another. That's why Agni Hotra is required, or the vows before the Fire Lord. That's the main point yajna, it is to form a contract with between people or between people and the gods, with Agni Dev bearing witness to the contract. Agni Dev is regarded as the contract facilitator, as he keeps this pristine and orderly in the cosmos. :)
Sidenote: I hear you about the pandemic. Life is a struggle. But such is Karma, am I right? :shrug: rvmp But we are fortunate that it isn't worse than an inconvenience. The Bubonic Plague of the 13th century was said to have wiped out 4/5 (four-fifths) of human population. That's the one where rats were a disease vector...those ticks were the carriers and whoever they bit would die in half a day. Messenger Grimacing Face emoji
Sidenote: I think what'll help you get interested in studying lore (whether of legendary or historical persuasion). Is consider it a conversation with the voices of the past.
If you start thinking of it as a conversation...you get closer to understanding the truth. Understand that "history" and "legend" are merely opinions...they aren't the complete vision of the past. You need to dig deeper and even further if you want to get closer to the truth...therefore there is often more than one resource to look into the past. For instance, the Vaishavas and Shivites both consider their own favored deity to be Bhagavan...but which is true? If you read both their source texts, you get a different opinion...but reading both will give you a deeper understanding of the "Truth".
Same for the history. I believe what they teach in schools is merely a prescribed variant. They conventiently will ignore any information that will make the State look bad. For instance, WWII showed allied forces as the heroic saviors of the world. But I found out years later that folk like President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Churchill did horrible things (Roosevelt put Japanese in USA in internment camps, while Churchill deliberately starved many Indians to motivate them to joined the army so they'd fight in the war). As you can see...what I learned in school was the rosy picture...it was only the good stuff while all the bad stuff was banished to the ether of the shadows. That's what you can expect from state-sponsored education systems though...you should look beyond their self-congratulatory odes of history.
If you take it as a serious conversation, start there, but do not let the conversation finish there. Look up other sources and cross-reference it...and gain full knowledge and enlightenment of the legacy of our ancestors. Shared human experience is meant to be passed on so we can avoid the mistakes of the past. Don't let someone else control your access to knowledge and information. You are in control, you only have to exercise your will to keep ahead of the manipulation and the narrative control! :meownod:
I am too young to understand your words but ya😂
Also, our history books told that Franklin D Rooslevelt and Winston Churchill founded The United Nations and were given positive remarks but I did not know the other side of the coin! OMG we were lied to in our schools. Our education system is pretty messed up.
Secondly, you replenished me with so much knowledge! Im so thankful!
(1 Reply)
:iconzotco:
Zotco Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Hobbyist General Artist
I just wanted to dance with you - colours 2021 by Zotco   I just wanted to dance with you by Zotco This is a very old idea I had. It's around Medusa and I couldn't help myself but thinking she's a sad alone creature and this is tragic !! New Icarus 2020 by Zotco Icarus just because I wanted to try some wings :D !
Medusa is indeed a poor creature. It wasnt even her fault. I feel so bad for her.
I felt Icarus shouldnt get what he didnt deserve. Just to punish Dedalus, why did they kill off an innocent person.
Also, you did a fantastic job! Keep it up!
:iconzotco:
Zotco Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks for the kind words :) !
PDopeS Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Student Digital Artist
No probs
:iconjuliamersmann:
JuliaMersmann Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Professional Digital Artist
Well... this is roleplaying mythology, but I like the goddess of Eldath and I am quite sure she might be a rip-off of some other godesses:

DEJ2021 10 Goddess Eldath by JuliaMersmann
Eldath is the goddess of peace and was known to be extremely beautiful.
Her worshippers would bring her destroyed weapons or items that needed to be destroyed to settle a struggle as a gift. Also they would meditate at a silent water.
Eldath was not only known for passiveness. She was also the one easing the pain of the ill and soothing those who are about to die. 
The story and your drawing, both are really good
:iconjuliamersmann:
JuliaMersmann Featured By Owner Jul 24, 2021  Professional Digital Artist
Thank you! :-)
:iconcapndeek373:
CapnDeek373 Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Professional General Artist
Dagon by CapnDeek373  Dagon.
Dagon is a prominent god in the H.P. Lovecraft mythos.
He’s actually based on a Syrian god.
Excerpt from Error's Chains by CapnDeek373
Cool! In India, we also have a god who is similar to Dagon (Matsya, an avatar in supreme god Vishnu) A human body and fish tail
:iconcapndeek373:
CapnDeek373 Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Professional General Artist
Thatís pretty cool!
:iconpencilframeart:
PencilframeArt Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Student Digital Artist
Medusa the gorgon by PencilframeArt

An engrave of Medusa the gorgon, the monster who petrifies her victims with her gaze.
She was indeed cruel but it was not her fault that Athena turned her into this state. Nice try tho
:iconpencilframeart:
PencilframeArt Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Student Digital Artist
Thank you!
:iconkarren-san:
Karren-san Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2021  Student General Artist
Rainbow  Dragon by Karren-san   Inktober 13 by Karren-san  
The artwork is really good no doubt but it would have been better for me to get introduced to these mythical creatures. 
Karren-san Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Student General Artist
First one is rainbow serpent, a type of a dragon. The 2nd one is my version of a cerberus, guarding the locked door but he isn't aggressive
I like how the calm cerebrus looks cute. It looks as if his master has punished him for littering the floor.
Karren-san Featured By Owner Edited Jul 22, 2021  Student General Artist
It's a cute friendly dog, a bit lonely I guess
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2021  Student Traditional Artist
I've quite a lot XD

This is the folder: www.deviantart.com/nenril-tf/g…
All myth behind them are in the description, here some of them:

Nike, the Winged Victory - REQUESTED by Nenril-Tf    Ishtar, Goddess of Love and War by Nenril-Tf   Eos by Nenril-Tf   Which is more important the sword or the scabbard? by Nenril-Tf    Gemini - COMMISSION by Nenril-Tf   Iris by Nenril-Tf   I have a secret on my lips by Nenril-Tf  
Nike - Greek goddess of victory
Ishtar - Sumerian goddess of love and war
Eos - Greek goddess of dawn
Lady of the Lake - From Round Table Cicle, fee guardian of Excalibur and queen of the lake people
Dioscuri - Greek heroes in the sign of Gemini
Iris - Greek goddess of bad news and ranbows
Dolya - Slavic goddess of human luck and household
So cool! I love how you connected the gods to their speciality. Love it
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Student Traditional Artist
Thanks a lot :)
I do quite searches before i come up with something :D
Thats great. At the same time, we can enhance our knowledge about the glorious history outside our country
Add a Comment: