2 days ago
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

How Much Does Music Affect Your Art?

:icondingbat1991:
Dingbat1991 Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Question for the community.

I felt the need to post this because I heard this really catching South African song that kind of formulated a tropical landscape, something bouncy and light-hearted to go with it that I wanted to use in something.

Who else feels this way?

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconthepurpleshogun:
ThePurpleShogun Featured By Owner 17 hours ago  Hobbyist General Artist
I listen to music to help come up with drawings. Every drawing I have made was thought of during listening to music. Drawing it however, I prefer very little noise. 
:icontenchi8:
Tenchi8 Featured By Owner 1 day ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Interesting topic. :)
Music helps sets the mood of most of my drawings. Mostly games and anime soundtracks.

I often provide links to the soundtracks I was listening to, that seems to go perfectly well with the theme
of my art works. It's a fun way to enhance the viewing experience too. I often share my thoughts in my commentaries,
of my inspirations and in what led to drawing the pic. I like to not only share the visual, but also paint a mental picture of my
personal perspective, in what my art means to me. So as a writer, I do my best to describe how much I value what I do, and accompany it with a link to a soundtrack, to set the mood. As an artist, I want my viewers to get as much enjoyment out of it, as I do.
Of course, if it happens to be their cup of tea. Can't win em all, but, hey, we all have our preferences. Even though some preferences are a bit "WTF" more than others. But to each their own, right? LOL  

:icone-ocasio:
E-Ocasio Featured By Owner 1 day ago   General Artist
Music for me is a completely different entity. 
I listen to it by itself and always alone. That said, if I am asked to create something based on a piece of music or a song I'll listen to it and let it carry me.
:iconjessback:
jessback Featured By Owner 1 day ago
I usually listen to music while drawing, but I noticed that I worked a LOT slower than in silence. I still listen to music while drawing despite knowing this because I like it ^^ I also noticed that traditional music (no vocal) worked better for my concentration than songs with vocal, but I think the reason for that is because I tend to sing along. I'm considering also starting producing some music. I think I will start here www.fortenotation.com/en/blank…
:icongeofferyccarter:
GeofferyCCarter Featured By Owner 1 day ago  Hobbyist General Artist
My art and writing probably wouldn't exist had it not been for music. Every story and picture has at least a few songs that played a part in inspiring it.
:iconwkarellen:
WKarellen Featured By Owner Edited 2 days ago  Hobbyist
Definitely. I listen to music all the time, but not while I'm actually working. It's too distracting.

Music is useful for me as a visualization aid. It puts me into a receptive headspace where I can just watch my mind's eye as it generates new ideas. Film, video game and anime scores are great for this in particular, but almost anything can work, provided it has a certain emotionality or atmospheric quality. If I like the ideas my mind spits out, I hang onto them, try to fully 'see' them internally, and then try to capture them in either writing or images later.

I haven't been able to capture the detailed visualizations and scenes I see as they are -- I just don't have the skill for it yet -- but they renew my inspiration and at least encourage me to try. Even if the final results take a big turn and becomes something different, I still feel music was essential. I never would've arrived at that destination if the music hadn't provoked action in the first place.
:iconthriller-killer13:
Thriller-Killer13 Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Student General Artist
Yeah I defiantly feel that way! If I know what I am drawing beforehand I usually try and match what music I listen to with the piece that I am working on. The same goes vice versa, listening to specific music to get inspiration is a thing that I have definitely been doing lately. 
:iconsezzac155:
sezzac155 Featured By Owner 2 days ago
Good question.
I would say quite a lot. Apart from simply fanart based on music, I think the arguably darker elements or themes in my art have been influenced by the music that I listen to . It’s not quite like the music gave me those ideas directly. It’s more like the music helped me discover that I find those themes or topics interesting and then gave me the confidence boost to incorporate them into my art.

I do formulate images in my mind like your tropical landscape, but for me they are usually scenes like a movie so I can’t really draw them (too much detail, not enough skill). I can write them though.That’s easier, It’s my main method of getting ideas for fanfic.
Add a Comment: