Closed to new replies
October 26, 2005
Link

Statistics

Replies: 25

Non-fanfiction Mary Sues

:icongosujin:
Gosujin Featured By Owner Oct 26, 2005
Okay, we all bash Mary Sues. We find them too perfect. They have super-powers, have dramatic origins, are very beautiful, have special physical charasteristics, have a flawless morality... some or all of the above.
But it's not just fanfiction. Oh no.

There is in canon fiction a lot of Mary Sues/Gary Stus, who are often spared because they don't exist under the format of crappy courier text in an obscure fanfiction site.
But they exist, and we can see how unfair sometimes we are!

Post here your examples of canon Mary Sues/Gary Stus:

*Superman. The ultimate Gary Stu. He has all powers, is super-powerful, has a perfect morality (and if he doesn't, it's just the cover lying to you to attract you into buying the comic), is loved by a lot of women, has a drrramatic past (his huge planet blew up like a firecracker!), is an alien (everything's better with aliens) who nonetheless looks exactly like a human and can have children too! Only dies if an alternative storyline or if he's ressurected after.
*Lois Lane. The Mary Sue of the Gary Stu. She gains superpowers every month and loses them after. She had the powers of Superman more times we can remember. She is desired by almost any male in the DC universe. She has a spitfire sharp temper because this is charming.
*Harry Potter. Very dramatic background, has a particular sign that makes him apart from a normal boy: a z-shaped scar on the chin which looks really good and doesn't give him an awful disfigurement like so much people in real-life do! Booh! Harry is so good at Quidditch, he's a champion! He always beats out baddies, always gets away from trouble, friends sacrifice themselves for him, he has a lot of hidden power and his own body was able to defeat Voldemort once!
*Venus de Milo. From Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation. She is a female counterpart of the turtles. Super-tough in combat and doesn't get battle scars. Has super-magic powahs. Was born from the same ooze as the other guys, although chemical ooze kills more animals than it gives them cool mutations. Plus, almost every guy in the team has the hots for her.
*The X-Men. They are feared and despised in the world because they have been born with superpowers. And it's like racism and xenophobia in real-life. Because having superpowers is a curse. A terrible, awful curse. Because making ice out of thin air is just like being homosexual. Personally, I'd take controlling fire, creating ice and controlling weather at will anytime. And do they have terrible backgrounds? Mais oui. They are shunned for being superpowered, yet dozens of other superheroes exist with them with powers and yet are loved even though the public don't know their origins. But hey, it is so exciting, isn't it? Especially when you rehash and gave a new "continuity" again after divine intervention, time travel or cosmic forces or some crap like that.
And the list goes on and on...

Devious Comments

:iconmartypunker:
martypunker Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2010  Hobbyist Artist
Please do not post in threads over six months old.

:lock:
:iconshiinsan23:
Shiinsan23 Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2010
Haruhi Suzumiya.

She has magical powers (That she's not even aware of) She's super athletic, super smart and bawws about not being a specail snowflake. It doesn't really help that Koizumi usually talks Kyon out of preventing Haruhi from doing whatever she pleases.
:iconsunshinenorcas:
sunshinenorcas Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2010
I wouldn't put Harry on because of how much he screws up... look at the fifth book, he KILLS Sirius because he's an idiot and gung ho and doesn't take a second to breathe and think of an alternative. He doesn't do it himself, but the whole situation could have been prevented. Or OMG SNAPE IS TOTALLY THE BAD GUY for all seven of the books with the refusal to even consider he was not all bad. Same with Malfoy. And the horcruxes. And look how much of an ass he is to his friends, need I say capslock!Harry? So yeah, he has flaws, one of them cost him someone who was family to him... Is he maybe a little too perfect? Maybe, but it's also ALL about him. The story is WHY he's more interesting than say Jane Brown, fourth year hufflepuff.

But I am a big fan, so I have to admit I have rose tinted glasses. But I don't think he's the worse offender in CanonSues not like oh say... BELLA FREAKING SWAN
Everyone loves her despite her being a bitch and generally not that likable, she doesn't do that much but then becomes SUPER PRETTY AND IS SUPER SPECIAL.
Same with Nessie, and Edward for that matter.
:iconchibinikki:
ChibiNikki Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2010
I thought that Bella would be THE first one listed. 0_o
:iconsunshinenorcas:
sunshinenorcas Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2010
Hahah, me too. But to be fair, the topic was very old.
:iconbirdy2:
Birdy2 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2010  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have few...

The Powerpuff Girls (Powerpuff Girls)-
They have almost every single super power their is, every but the villains love them (okay, so maybe this one is understandable since they save the town from impending doom on a daily basis, but you would think some people would be skeptical), they win every time, and they have little to no flaws in their personalities other than Buttercup's short temper and Bubbles's naivety.

Sousuke Aizen (Bleach)-
First of all, he has one of most ridiculously powerful abilities I've ever heard of: complete hypnosis, meaning he can control all five of a person's senses and completely screw with their head in battle, and even with out them he is still more powerful than the most of the other characters. Not only that, but he's ridiculously smart, thinks everything through to the last detail, and as much as a gentleman can get despite being a diabolical and murderous megalomaniac. It's like he's some bad James Bond villian.

Itachi Uchiha (Naruto)-
That's right fan girls, your precious little Itachi-kun is a Gary-Stu. Okay, so I like him too (not in a fangirlish way, but still), buts there's no denying it: He's was a member of an ultra powerful clan and even for them he was powerful, everyone fears and/or respects him including people who are equally or even more powerful than him, he's a bishonen, and after he died all of his actions were justified because he was really trying to save the world from his mentally insane grandpa.
ChibiNikki Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2010
And now alive(?) after the recent chapter...
Birdy2 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2010  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yeah, that too.
ChibiNikki Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2010
I swear, Kishimoto had better come up with a damn good asspull- I mean plot twist to unfuck this .
Birdy2 Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2010  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Damn strait.
:iconanya-the-strange:
Anya-the-Strange Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2010
You're right about Harry! I also haven't helped but notice that Elizabeth Swann is a potc Mary Sue:

+ She is beautiful and most of the men in the trilogy have the hots for her (one even mistaking her for a goddess). Yet despite living on ship with very little hygiene, she maintains surprisingly clear skin and un-greasy hair.

+ She picks up new skills quick- she had one year of sword lessons from Will Turner, and all of a sudden she was the 18th century equivalent of Beatrix Kiddo. Not to mention she occasionally travels on a ship then all of a sudden she knows all the nautical terms.

+ She has no scars from the many battles she's bested. Not even the immortal cursed crew could land a shot.

+ She's now an orphan (boo-hoo) and has a regal descendants: she lives in Port ROYAL as the governor's ONLY daughter, then later becomes KING of the pirates (not Queen, King).

+She is easily forgiven for her actions; no one bats an eyelid to the fact she snogged Jack Sparrow, thrn left him to a grim death because she was "thinking of everyone else"

Gaah, I could rant about this for ages, but I'm winding myself up. Well done on your findings! :clap:
:iconlorienelf:
lorienelf Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2005
I don't read much, but my sister found one in a book called 'Dragon Singer' the main character is 100% Mary-Sue and is perfect at everything :|

Also, Harry does have flaws, he's not a perfect person. In book 3 he acted a bit murderous at the end, and in book 5 he has a serious anger problem. But I do see what you mean about him being a bit of a Gary-Stu.
Gosujin Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2005
Yes, but those things seemed a bit superficial to me, it was more like the author just tried to place in him "human" defaults. Because Harry has very little personality and character in himself...
:iconchocoboblue:
ChocoboBlue Featured By Owner Oct 26, 2005
An amusing topic. But I think you should steer clear of calling comic book superheroes "Mary Sues" just because, by nature, most superheroes have to be Mary Sues. That is, they originated that way, not that they necessarily are today.

:whisper: And Harry Potter's scar is on his forehead, by the way. I think his status as a Mary Sue ("Gary Stu") is debatable, but he certainly does fit the criteria. :D

Hmm..... I can't recall anything I've read lately. Grrrrr, frustrating. But I did buy this one random manga on a whim called "Snow Drop" and was rather unpleasantly surprisede at how much of a Mary Sue the main male character is. "He's soooo popular, and he always gets good grades, and so nice, and sooooooooo good-looking, and all of us looooove him! His only flaw is he doesn't have a girlfriend." And it gets worse from there. "This marble is very precious to me. It belonged to my *sob* dead brother. His dream was to be a pilot, but he died, so I'm gonna live that dream for him! But I can't, because I have to spend all my time working to take care of my poor sick mother." Boo. Fricking. Hoo. :roll:

And what does your sig say? It's driving me crazy. Something about inside something something and the symbol for stone but with another symbol... Enlightenment please?
Gosujin Featured By Owner Oct 26, 2005
Oh well, shoujou manga often has these criterias: the romantic male lead is good-looking, tall, popular, a bad boy, is smart, doesn't have a girlfriend and has a dead brother whose memory saddens him. That seems to be the male ideal for girls, no?

Harry Potter can be a Harry Stu: [link]

My signature is my name in Japanese, that I got from a name generator; I keep it in my sig to remember it.

It means: 中村 Nakamura (center of the village) 拓海 Takumi (open sea)
ChocoboBlue Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2005
Yes, I suppose I did kind of ask for Mary-Sue overload when I bought it. And yes, that certainly is the male ideal, I'd refuse to date any guy unless he meets all of those criteria. :D

I won't debate Harry Stu with you (I am guilty of being too big a fan of the series), but I do want to say that that is one funny piece you've got there. I just meant that it's debatable, more because I don't think Harry has the typical 'Sue' personality, but he definitely fits the rest! I love putting original characters through the Litmus Test.

Thanks for the translation, I just started taking Japanese at my school, but the only kanji there I recognized was 'naka.' If I hadn't recognized any of 'em I probably wouldn't have cared, but when you can see one word, you just gotta know the rest.

I think Neo of 'The Matrix' fame is a definite Gary Stu. His personality is nonexistant, which can fit the whole 'perfect' idea in a roundabout way, Trinity loves him for no discernable reason other than that he's the main character, he's 'The One,' and can do cool stuff...
You know this litmus test, right? [link]

It's amazing how they confuse "typical main character" with "Mary Sue". Apparently, a good original character must be literally nothing good.

Come to my wonderful topic: [link]
I prefer this test: [link] Only because it applies solely to original characters. Though it sucks because you have to tally the points yourself.

Yes, I've noticed a tendency for Litmus Tests to go overboard and list any sort of development as being too Mary-Sue. One of my original characters got a really high score, but he's definitely not a Gary Stu. He just shares some traits, but it was all background, like tragic past and whatnot. :shrug: Sometimes you need a tragic past to make it interesting. But taking the test is still fun, I like to see which of my characters is the highest. (I once got a negative score. I'm still proud.)

I liked what Wikipedia had to say: [link] Reading about Mary Sues never ceases to amuse me.
Yeah, the judges are unfair.

A good non-Mary Sue must be happy, have had a very relaxing background, be ugly, know no arts or technics or fighting, languages (except english), be fat, be uncompetitive, be silent, related to nobody, have a very common name, have plain dark hair with plain dark eyes, be ungraceful, never get mixed with important characters, be a coward, stay home.
In other words, an Anti-Sue must technically not exist.

Oooh, I like that, 'Anti-Sue.' If she comes in contact with a Mary-Sue they cancel each other out. Which is why Anti-Sues don't exist.
Yes. Therefore, do NOT make an original character for fiction. If they have normal character qualities, they are to be hated.
Add a Comment: