Closed to new replies
February 27, 2009
Link

Statistics

Replies: 203

Why do people hate Twilight?

:iconsaguinouskane:
SaguinousKane Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009   Writer
It's my greatest inpiration and everyone here hates it. I guess it's too complex for them to understand, because they don't even give it a chance!

Edward and Bella have a beautiful relationship, it begins as a first sight love. Nowadays, it's just sex and obsession. You people hate purity and darkness within a relationship.

It's more than a romance movie. It's a piece of artwork, and I will prove it.

Devious Comments

:iconvayde:
Vayde Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2009
Might be better suited to the complaints forum, as it comes under flamebait.

:lock:
:iconryuumi20:
ryuumi20 Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2009
Those who hate "Twilight" the movie have read the book and really didn't like the actors playing the characters in the book...
:iconcrazy-jake:
Crazy-Jake Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2009
But Twilight is so easy to hate.
It's like "The house of the dead" (film) of the literary world.
You can find as many fans as you want, make pretty banners saying rubbish about Edward being a "revolutionary" vampire, but the point of the matter is. It's poorly written, 2 dimensional, as predictable as the tides and it's only selling point is the cash in to sexually frustrated 16 year old's (disgusting I know but that's its demographic) by saying. "Look it's a vampire and he loves a human! How cute!"

The only thing I liked about it was the end, because then I got to close the book and read some thing far better like "Watchmen" or "Whitby Witches".
:iconchernabot:
ChernaBot Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2009   Writer
People hate Twilight because it's poorly written, shallow, and terribly overrated. There's no reason anybody over the age of twelve should enjoy Stephanie Meyer's work, yet they do. I got through sixty pages of the first book before I realized there's nothing to like about any of it.
:iconhellsong-diabla:
Hellsong-Diabla Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2009
Ppl despise it mainly b/c of ppl like you.
Not to offend you or anything, but ppl like you make the fandom look bad.

You don't except what ppl have to say and don't state things intelligibly and from what i'm guessing you sound like a little 12 year old who's stomping around their room mad at everyone who disagrees with ur views on this.

Maybe if you take things lightly and don't get offended like the rest of the ppl do, then ppl wouldn't talk to you so harshly.

And we also hate when ppl scream and shout when a person from the movie is on t.v and what not, its just ridiculous. This is why half of the ppl in the world despise it, including me. I have read all four book and enjoyed *tho i thought the ending of the fourth book was garbage* but once everyone started drooling over it and desiring their boyfriends would be so much like edward i wanted to burn each and every page.

Now lighten up, its only a freaking book!
:iconenvymachinery:
EnvyMachinery Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2009  Student General Artist
People hate it because the concept was terrible to begin with. The whole plot is sappy, lame, and no one with an ounce of maturity in their psyche wants to have anything to do with it. Not to mention the fact that it's popularity gains a considerable foundation from current trends, such as the "emo" and "goth" cliques, and their subsidiaries.
:iconiross:
iRoss Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2009
twilight is a crappy teen love story written my a mormon house wife, and the hole damn thing is a metaphor for AIDS. ive never met you, and everything i know about you is from this one thread, but i dont respect you as a human being.
:icontuftedpuffin:
tuftedpuffin Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2009
I hate it because of all the Twi-hards who seem to think Edward is real and compare all REAL men to him, such that nobody flesh-and-blood is good enough for them now (it's happening to my friend). Hello, he's an effing vampire created by somebody's hand, possibly while she was... well, I won't go into that. The movie itself -- I've not read the book -- was so sickeningly simplistic that it was an insult to my intelligence, and what's-her-name has got to be one of the worst actresses to "grace" the screens of late -- it's not a crime to show expression!!!

But hey, that's just my opinion. And my roomies.
:iconsaladchan:
Saladchan Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2009
I liked Twilight. And despite what people say, Bella IS realistic. There are people that think in drama like she does. I know. I'm one of them. X3

Edward isn't realistic. He's just TOO perfect. NOBODY should be that perfect. I suppose that's why he's fictional. I've only seen one better bishie guy (bishie is anime-speak for like the main hottie in a story...) and it was a vampire in another book. Even my sister, who hated Twilight, said Edward was totally hot. She just thought Bella was an idiot.

It's just that there's a lot of "OMG TWILIGHT ROXORZ!" fangirls around and it's annoying to hear "Twilight, Twilight, Twilight" all over. Fictional fangirling used to be just for anime nerds. Now it's like, everywhere. People won't read it because it's overhyped and people are annoying about it.
:iconredpirate:
RedPirate Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2009
Your sister is right. Bella IS an idiot. She knows a guy (a jerk of one at that) two weeks and wants to give up her life to be with him. She has no hobbies or any clue she has any sort of three dimensional personality. She is just there to be Edward's girlfriend (because Stephanie Meyer wants to be Edward's girlfriend) and to be fought over. She's not a character, she's a plot device. It's no wonder she pounces of the first guy to be into her as she has nothing else in her life. And then every one wants her. IRL guys don't through themselves hand over first at girls who have nothing going on. I mean, how much common ground can you have with someone who doesn't have any interests besides falling over crap?

Some people won't read it because it's over-hyper but many more won't read more than some of the first book because it's badly written and boring which makes sense to me.
:iconcolinsbob:
colinsbob Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2009
I hate Christopher Nolan!!!
:iconroseofceres:
roseofceres Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2009
Not to mention, that type of of girl-meets-perfect-looking-vampire-boy-cookie cutter -scenario has been done many times on shows like Buffy and Charmed.

I dont get why writers keep using that prince charming saves the girl scenario. I mean its the 21st century, that kind of plot isnt realistic anymore.
:icontime-capsule:
time-capsule Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009
I read the first 150 pages of this book because I was told that it rivaled Harry Potter, which in my humble opinion (feel free to differ, I'm no SaguinousKane) is actually worth a darn, and I would have lit the damn book on fire had it not belonged to a friend. The writing was insufferably boring. I had to read the first page five times to figure out what was actually going on because of the horrible lack of clarity. But, here's the kicker: THE STORY IS BORING. I was waiting for something to actually happen that would generate even a modicum of a blip on my interest radar, but...nothing.
RedPirate Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2009
That was exactly my experience and the experience of thousands of others.
I read it on a friends recommendation and I haven't enjoyed a book less.
Bella is so pathetic it makes me sad and to think girls look up to her!
As for the book depict real love if anything thinks that they need to get some SERIOUS perspective.
:icontransformergirl:
Transformergirl Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009  Hobbyist General Artist
No. Not complex; far from it. Just unappealing. I tried to read the first one (after all the hub-bub I assumed it was something I needed to read) but didn't get very far. If a book doesn't grab me within the first few pages I usually drop it. Plus I was never really into Vampires. I read 'Silver Kiss' in 7th grade for an assignment and really liked it, but that's about it. (Funnily enough, Twilight and Silver Kiss share a similar plot. I think you might like it, you should check it out.)

But really I think it has more to do with the demographic. Twilight is written in a way that appeals to teens and those books rarely interest me. I'm not a teen anymore after all. lol. I read Wicked after my failed Twilight attempt and fell in love with it. Now that's a complex book. And kinda weird. And really sad...and enraging. I nearly ripped the book in half during one bit I got so pissed. The Wizard is a dick. Glorified fanfiction, maybe, but Gregory McGuire is one hell of a writer. The books have their own identity. I'm reading Son of a Witch right now.

All in all, books mean things to different people and just because you found something in Twilight someone else didn't doesn't mean anything. Difference of opinions and interests.
:iconminhata:
minhata Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009  Student General Artist
Oh, hi Princess~.
Missed ya here.
And, oh, Twilight? Not bothering reading more that the 2 pages from my friends book... Which sits in her bathroom.

I mean, it's too.... Lacking. Of everything.

Oh, yes, please explain how is it so good.
:iconmercenaryzero:
MercenaryZero Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009
Oh, princess, when are you going to learn?
:iconalterecho:
alterecho Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My only problem is sparkly vampires. Not undead? fine, underworld, and countless others (I Am Legend the book, for instance) did that. No crazy allergic reactions to random stuff, like wood specifically through the heart? alright, fair enough. Not weak to arbitrary religious symbols, fine done many times. Sparkling in sunlight, in addition to everything else? Now you don't have vampires, just mutants that feed on hemoglobin and are immortal, less you completely incinerate them (I think that's it right?...which kinda implies undead/magic). I'm not into romance novels, but when a major plot point (one's a vampire!) isn't even true, I kinda can't respect it.
:iconhappi-neko:
Happi-Neko Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009
I think that people don't especially enjoy the movie because of how it doesn't completely follow the book! It may be missing some details here and there at points =/ But then, not many movies stay true to the book.

I'm just pointing this out btw =3 I personally love the movie and the books alike!
:iconunansweredprayers:
unansweredprayers Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009   Photographer
Vampires that sparkle?

Enough said.
:iconkenziekatty:
KenzieKatty Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009
I dont really like it because they make werewolves look like complete jerks. =/
and I just think
It turns out that they weren't werewolves, they were *says in whiney voice* shape shifters

*pukes*

that's was retarded.
KenzieKatty Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2009
WTF?! O_o Shapeshifters...?!?!

Ok, now am officialy disliking Twilight ALOT.
=S
i forgot the word they used, but they aren't werewolves i know for sure.

They were talking about that werewolves are never in packs and are very vicious being.

I'm like whatever, tho they are vicious and what not but they are in packs at times, tho it rarely happens.

Ah whatever.
KenzieKatty Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2009
*quivers*

Twilight = Not my type of book.
KenzieKatty Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009
srry xD

I dont think the whole plot works for me. =/
I hate flamers tho! And people that scream about how stupid something is should just keep that to themselves instead of making other people offended.
:iconanswertolifeis42:
answertolifeis42 Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009
i dont like twilight because it rapes the vampire image, everyone has said this and i repeat, VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE IN THE SUN! THEY TURN TO DUST!
:iconaxe-kicks-are-cool:
axe-kicks-are-cool Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009
why do people hate it? because it sucks.
:icongork88:
GoRk88 Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009
who hates twilight...twilight is great :D
:iconmarxdragonutzer:
MarxDragonutzer Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009
I haven't read the books yet, so I can't ostracize you with credibility, but my main problem with it at the moment is its awful depictions of Vampires and giving millions of people a wrong impression of what they actually are.

Vegeterian Vampires WTF?!
Vampires don't Sparkle!

It may be gender related as well as I see it... I have a male friend who decided to read all the books (he's quite intellegent, so I trust most of his feedback) and he said it was terrible in many aspects yet most females I speak with (except for 1 lol xD) seem to love it.
:iconhyannah77:
hyannah77 Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009  Hobbyist Photographer
I enjoyed reading Twilight, but I'll never claim it was any sort of literary masterpiece. I enjoyed it in the same way I enjoy any of the other fluff I read, and as I enjoy some bad teen movies.
:iconhyannah77:
hyannah77 Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2009  Hobbyist Photographer
I think one of the reasons many people hate Twilight is because it's become so incredibly popular when people who are familiar with the genre know that the story's overdone, and the whole "human falling in love with a vampire" thing is beyond cliche and has been done better. Plus, a lot of the Twilight fans are terrifying.
:icon13shadesofblack:
13shadesofblack Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009
I haven't seen the movie or read the books but I've seen clips of the movie. I'd say the top reason it's so hated is because of it's teeny fangirl following. I know a lot of people find that annoying. Also, the parts I saw of the movie were horrible. The acting and the dialogue were really stupid. I think the filmmaker hoped the scenes could get by on the intensity of Pattinson's acting. From what I saw, they didn't.
:iconcoronaradiata:
CoronaRadiata Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009  Student Writer
I'll tell you what I've told others before you- and yes, chances are you've been tod this before.

Plain and simple, I don't hate Twilight. I really don't. What I hate is what I've seen it do to people, both on the internet and off the internet. It's become the obsessive focus of so many young people that it is, quite literally, frightening. People obsess over Twilight in, often, the worst ways; and what's even worse is that they sometimes even discriminate against other people who don't like it.

I suppose, in short, I don't hate Twilight itself as a book; I simply hate that it's generated so many obsessive fans that worship it.
:icondr-paine:
Dr-Paine Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009  Hobbyist Writer
Meyer said she never researched vampires, that's more than enough reason to hate.

[link] <--- And this.
:iconmikazukiyuki:
MikazukiYuki Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009  Hobbyist Writer
People hate Twilight for the same reason you like it: because they CAN. What's 'inspiring' to you could be 'badly written, boring fiction' to someone else. Ever heard the phrase 'One man's trash is another man's treasure'?
Of course, there's also the fact that they hate the whiny emo fanbrats who won't shut the fuck up about their precious Eduardo Sparklefaerie. Rabid fans can turn people away from anything, and Twilight is no exception.
Perhaps its the fact that's its so hyped up right now. I mean, wherever you go, it's 'Twilght This' and 'Stephenie Meyer that'. Some people are just sick of it and want it to go away, but the fanbrats mentioned above just won't let the damn thing die.
Or...Maybe it's because they're not into vampires--oh, wait, excuse me, faries. Or teen romance. Or fail-science. Or plot holes. Or Mary-Sues. Or perfect characters. Or pointless, plotless stories. Or stalking boyfriends. Or stupid main characters. Or shallow relationships based on nothing but lust ('he's hot, she smells good' is about as shallow as it gets, dude...). Or bad messages. Or purple prose. Okay, there are too many things to list of things people may not like about it. Just remember that just because you like something and refuse to acknowledge the flaws doesn't mean that they're wrong for not liking it or that the flaws don't exist.
:iconkairi-angel:
kairi-angel Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009
You shouldn't link your "inpiration" to a bad book. Read other books. And I've seen you insult Anne Rice's book which makes you look like an absolute moron while you call other people an idiot for not liking a horrible romance novel that did nothing but sprinkle the vampire aspect on to get more readers.

And also, Bella and Edward's relationship was based on hunger.
lol choice of words.

But understand. Bella is 17. Hottest guy in school is offering, she's going to bite, right. Guy is vampire. D: Lusts for her blood, blah blah blah. He bites too. And then crazy love adventure.

And babies. D: Has to be a baby.

Jesus Christ, are these books written by a married 30 something year old woman or a lonely 13 year old?

And as for your "proof", I'd still like to see it because from all of your dumbass comments responding to other's personal opinions, I have not seen a solid point from you.
And how is their relationship NOT sex and obsession? They obviously want to bang the shit out of each other every goddamn day, SAY that every day, the only reason they don't is... oh yeah, she'd die.
Then the obsession thing. How is watching a girl sleep after breaking into her own bedroom not obsession? And then the whole thing in New Moon with the cliff and all.
Yeah kids. Killing yourself over a boy is okay. D:

God, didn't Meyer even admit that her books are meant for a teenage audience or something once?

King and Rice are meant for older people.
People who are actually literate.
:iconfallenangelii:
fallenangelII Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009  Professional Digital Artist
j00 are a :iconhippocrateplz:
:icontemarixshikamaruxfan:
temariXshikamaruXfan Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009
Alright. I dont hate the books, but I've never seen the movie. I dont like Edward...or Jacob...or Bella...to me, they are all just..bleh. Sorry if you dont like that, but thats my opinion.

You wrote this forum asking in your title and yet, in a pervious comment on here you wrote that you didnt ask for someones opinion when they didnt like it? Id you dont want to hear/read what others have to say (good or bad) then dont start an OPEN FORUM. Trust me, it just begs for ppl to come and bash it.

now back to topic. I didnt like The 2nd book...it was boring to me. the Best part was when Alice came in...but other then that it sucked. But again, thats just MY opinion. Edward/Bella/and Jacob all see...well like emo cheaters to me. I'd rather read a book about Alice and Jasper...they were by far the best to me. Oh and the first book didnt have enough fighting stuff...I didnt like that just because Bella passed out we missed the fight between James and Edward. I was saddly disapointed at that part. The 3rd book...well it dragged on too long for me. a whole lot of cheating ...then the 4th..I liked it till they made it a happy ending...I read 756(i think thats how long it was) pages for NO action?! The most we got was one vampire being killed ...oh yea..fun..not.

Anyways...thats all my opinion...you asked for it.
:iconzerj19:
Zerj19 Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009
Everyone other than tweens hate it...
:iconcaahhloomm:
Caahhloomm Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009
I really hope you aren't being serious.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009  Hobbyist General Artist
Sounds like the thread author has as little understanding of vampires as the author of the books.

Vampires die when they are in sunlight. They are romantics but only to prey on the blood of virgins or whatever, and (some) have transformation and otherpowers.

What do these vamps do? "Spakle"...

That ain't vampire, that's just flambouyant emo with fangs and abnormal strength.
Yep
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009  Hobbyist General Artist
Mind you, the thread author will probably Christian Bale me for my "insults" to his/her beloved fangasm material. So everyone hush hush...
:iconroseofceres:
roseofceres Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009
People hate twilight because its too much like a goth girls wet dream.
RedPirate Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2009
And that is an insult to goth girls:/
:iconzombiecyborgninja:
zombiecyborgninja Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009
Fucking sparkly vampires. That's why we hate Twilight. Vampires are not supposed to sparkle, goddamnit! And Edward is a stalking pedophile. Why? I'll tell you.
1.He follows Bella/emo Mary-Sue everywhere, even watching her while she sleeps! Romantic? I think not.
2.He's a pedophile because he's like 107 and Bella's only 17. Pedophile anyone?
Also, Stephanie Meyer can't write worth a darn. I can give you a million more reasons, but maybe I'll list them later. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. If you can't handle that, too bad.
:iconsnoopyfemme:
snoopyfemme Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2009  Student Writer
I mostly dislike Twilight because everything is just so... perfect and fluffy. Not to mention that the characters have no real personalities, Bella is a self-insert, and the writing is of a rather poor quality. And the fans can be really fucking scary.

Also, for the lulz: [link]
Add a Comment: