Details

Closed to new replies
March 27, 2016
Link

Statistics

Replies: 20

Thoughts On Sylvanas Windrunner's New Outfit?

:iconmikesw1234:
Mikesw1234 Featured By Owner Mar 27, 2016
I've have really never been much of a fan of World of Warcaft and I've never gotten in to MMOs in general. But I am a most certainly a fan of the character of Sylvanas Windrunner. I wanted to know more about her the moment I first saw her. It's because of Sylvanas that I'm as into the lore of WOW as I am today though I would by no means call myself anywhere close to an expert. I've never actually played the game. I have to part that out there.

Anyway, Blizzard has unfortunately made the decsion to change the Dark Lady's iconic outfit in favor of a more... conservative approach. Yes I know, all they did was give her a brown corset. Why they chose that color I have no idea. Even if you disagree with everything I say after this point you gotta admit the color doesn't match.

I'll confess that I have always had a thing for badass women with bare midriffs. Just look at the group I started. midriff-amazons.deviantart.com… That was one of the reasons I first took notice of Sylvanas (and WOW in general) in the first place. Still, despite her scantily clad form the Banshee Queen is a character who makes it clear just by looking at her: "You don't want to mess with me!" In fact, I happen to personally believe that having her in her skimpy iconic armor makes her even MORE of a badass. That she can look that sexy and exposed, WITHOUT compromising her strength as a warrior or character or her sheer presence. There is plenty of canon art and fan art on this very website for you look at and see my point.

I may be in the minorty on this. Still the change in canon hasn't seemed to effect many Sylvanas cosplyers or fanartists as of yet. That makes me happy but I'm not sure how long it will last. I suppose I understand why Blizzard did. Keep up with the times and appeal to more women. Though the Banshee Queen has already been one of the most beloved female characters in the entire Warcraft franchise for some time among both men AND women.

Of course this is all just my own personal opinion and preferences. Let me know what all of YOU guys think.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsteamrider86:
Steamrider86 Featured By Owner Apr 3, 2016   Digital Artist
Oh... yeah. BLizzards is dramatically changing to their approaching and dumb down their games to make them bland and stupid. Its the same with Overwatch when Blizzard "has to apologize" for Tracer's pose where we see her butt :shrug:

My thoughts that if it didn't change the character as who she is, then there's nothing much to be said. I personally prefer that she doesn't wear a corset and more a tunic... or reveal her midriff. She needs to be a swift hero, not restraining her movements while fighting and showing, etc. Yes, having a revealing midriff is sexy, but that compliments a "deadly beauty" of Sylvanas... her graceful body belies of her deadly and cunning aptitude. Bear in mind that Sylvanas's model has changed over the years.

I did two female characters, one who is modest and reserve, and the other who is scantily clad. While the sexuality and pinup posing work with the one character who wears revealing clothing, it doesn't work with another. I'm not going to change a character because a fan or some faceless turd finds so-so character offensive.
Mikesw1234 Featured By Owner Apr 6, 2016
Thank you for the awesome comments!
:iconmaelora69:
Maelora69 Featured By Owner Apr 1, 2016  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
We seem to be entering a bleak, conservative phase for those of us who like fanservice.

'Slut shaming' - castigating a woman who is not seen as sufficiently 'modest' - is common in and outside of gaming these days.

Games are getting more and more prudish, it seems, even some of the Asian ones.

Look at the furore that stopped DOAX3 getting a Western release.

I'm female, and I've always loved 'strong + sexy' from my early days, artwork like Boris Vallejo, Larry Elmore, Clyde Caldwell, etc. No reason a heroine can't be sexy as long as it doesn't make her a victim.
Mikesw1234 Featured By Owner Apr 1, 2016
Well said! Clap 
Mikesw1234 Featured By Owner Apr 3, 2016
I know, if we thought the MK9 fatalities were disturbing... NetherRealm was like "oh... you aint seen nothin yet!" The problem is that so many people just don't get that fanservice by itself is NOT in any way a bad thing. The only solution I can think of is that more female artists (because most women who aren't familiar with the culture will just scoff if it's all just a bunch of straight men) need to come out and say that and there are certainly plenty of them on DA. That was a big part of why I started this group in the first place. As for all the guys who are into all that gory grotesque form of sexy, I personally think there not as prominate as they appear to be. Remember that those kind of assholes in Geek Culture tend to get a lot, sometines even most of the publicity (Gamergate anyone?) at the expence of the majority, making all of us look shitty and providing credibity to the pro-censorship people in consequence.
:iconmaelora69:
Maelora69 Featured By Owner Apr 4, 2016  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
True. I'm female and I like all that, as long as it's not insulting or disrespectful.

There are plenty of artists on here who are female and do great fanservice stuff: Salamandra, Avionetca, Sicilian Valkyrie, HarpyQueen, PersonalAmi, AphroditeNS, t3h3r3ee, AutumnSacura, etc.

Most gamer girls I know are fine with it - it seems to be the outsiders, the people who don't game, who have a problem with it.
Mikesw1234 Featured By Owner Apr 3, 2016
I also think that game developers and comic artists should maybe go with a 'toned down" fanservice approach for a while and we can all see how it goes. Ayame's outfit in Tenchu: Shadow Assassins and as I've said Ciri's alternate outfit in The Witcher 3 are both awesome examples of this. Deunan Knute's outfit in Appleseed: Alpha is another great example and I'd recommend you give that movie a watch if you haven't already even if you've never checked out the Appleseed franchise before. 
:iconiara-art:
iara-art Featured By Owner Apr 1, 2016  Professional Digital Artist
In the abstract, I don't think she looks that bad, but I see your point. There is something badass in a female character that is like "bitch please, I don't even need to use the armor, I can fight with this sexy outfit and I'm not even worried!" :P Sadly, we seem to be regresing to times where showing skin is not acceptable, for different reasons than before, but the result is the same. She is not the only character that has been changed in that deparment. I guess the female body and sexuality is something bad again :(
Mikesw1234 Featured By Owner Apr 1, 2016
Indeed. They did it with Supergirl and Huntress, they did it with Lara they did it with Slave Leia, they even kinda did it with Red Sonja! Hell, even Zenescope seems to be toning it down these days! I suppose it's easier with video games. You can give players a plethera of different outfits, both sexy and practical alike to chose from. Like Ciri's alternate in The Witcher 3. One of the most tastefully sexy fantasy outfits I've seen in quite a while, especially YOUR take on it. Clap 

Thanks for commenting.
:icondextrosity:
Dextrosity Featured By Owner Edited Mar 28, 2016
I honestly didnt think about it, and ive watched the legion cinematic a dozen times now, but when you mentioned it i do think they should at least have made the colors match a little more. Other then that i think she looks more ready for war then before.
Mikesw1234 Featured By Owner Edited Mar 28, 2016
In all honesty, I would have had no problem with her having full armor on for battle as long she went back to her old outfit whenever there wasn't any war going on. But it appears that this is going to be her default look from now on. Thank you for commenting.
:icontheaatherea:
TheaAtherea Featured By Owner Mar 27, 2016   Writer
While I prefer full armor on all characters (both male and female), I think Sylvanas's new armor looks awkward -- like a crappy attempt at modesty. The parts covering her midriff and arms don't even match the rest of her armor.
Yeah. If they were gunna do it, they should have at least done it right! Thank you for commenting.
:iconsacron22:
Sacron22 Featured By Owner Mar 27, 2016
i agree 100%, bare midriff is sexy and reveals the athletic efforts of the heroine to show fully
Damn right!
:icon525600-midgets:
525600-Midgets Featured By Owner Mar 27, 2016
Haha, you enjoy something. What a loser.
Mikesw1234 Featured By Owner Edited Mar 27, 2016
Yep! And proud of it! =P (Razz) 
:iconfaegatekeeper:
faegatekeeper Featured By Owner Apr 11, 2016
Loser?  Hell no.  This person is one of the nicest people on DA I've ever met.  If you enjoy fantasy stuff, bask in the glow.  That's what I've got to say.
Mikesw1234 Featured By Owner Apr 11, 2016
Thank you for the lovely words!
Add a Comment: