Details

2 days ago
Link

Statistics

Replies: 62

Apology video

:iconhappymaphunter:
HappyMapHunter Featured By Owner 2 days ago
Okay this is kinda a bait topic, sorry. But I was wondering what does it take to make a good genuine apology online? 

Are people too sensitive for any apology to have an effect?

Am I or are we actually not offended. But instead are in fact just blood thirsty for vengeance?

Well? What does it take to apologize?  

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconmelianmarionette:
MelianMarionette Featured By Owner 4 hours ago  Hobbyist General Artist
It's better not to bother apologizing.  In most cases it will only make things worse, especially if you are apologizing to anyone in the Woke crowd who is OFFENDED.  
HappyMapHunter Featured By Owner 4 hours ago
i just think the act of apologizing is more important than actually being forgiven will ever be.
:iconmelianmarionette:
MelianMarionette Featured By Owner 4 hours ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah maybeness. Some peoples don't deserve any apologies though, especially on the internet, especially when it's some mob of self righteous losers.
HappyMapHunter Featured By Owner 3 hours ago
And that is a perfectly valid choice you can make!
:iconemperorseverne:
EmperorSeverne Featured By Owner 6 hours ago  Hobbyist General Artist
"Well? What does it take to apologize?"

Not being dumb enough to make the mistake in the first place. Seriously. There's a thing called enabling, which is exactly what you do when you do not condemn people for making huge mistakes that could very easily have been prevented by having this thing called common sense.
People that dumb deserve no sympathy.

Plus, apology videos have a very high tendency to be insincere, especially if the exact same mistake happens again afterward (hence, enabling).

As the saying goes: death before dishonor.
:iconmistgod:
Mistgod Featured By Owner 4 hours ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This response seems so stuck up and morally superior.  Get that big stick out of your ass.  

(I know this coment had absolutely nothing to do with me and I am butting my big fat self into things again, but that's what I do around here.  I make it all about me.  So too bad.)

I got news for ya toots.  I will never attempt to apologize to you for anything.  Enabled or not enabled, I will do whatever the hell I want.  Your "condemning" the Mistgod will have no effect whatsoever, except to give the attenion I crave.  LOL  I will "make major mistakes" when I want, however I want, as often as I want, and there's not a damned thing you can do to stop me.  :D (Big Grin) 

This response was probably a major mistake.  I refuse to apologize for it.  If you don't condemn me for it, you are enabling me to do it again.  Oh, and I will.  
Woah woah now! Let's tone this down a bit.
Why in the heck would I want to do that? BORING
Mistgod Featured By Owner Edited 3 hours ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Mistgod...
,gif
HappyMapHunter Featured By Owner 5 hours ago
I agree with some points you've made here. I do not agree to the no sympathy part though. I believe everyone deserves some level of sympathy.
Don't agree with that morally superior crap!  Are you kidding me?  
I am not kidding you and I am not giving off some morality superiority complex. I truly believe that we all as human beings should be able to give some level of sympathy.
I was talking about EmperorSeverne's reply to you.  It's morally superior garbage.  You're fine.  Don't apologize.  That's my advice.  I do agree that humans should sometimes have sympathy and there are times when it is appropriate to forgive someone.  I forgive you.  Now don't do whatever it was you did again.  Or do it again, whatever, I really don't care.  LOL  
Okay, let's just tone it down a bit is all. =w='
Nah. That wouldn't be any fun.
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Without a self flogging any apology video seems insincere.
You know, I think you are right. Real public apologies were lost at the end of the Middle Ages.
,gif
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner 4 hours ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The Iranians keep the old ways alive during Ashura.
I love those guys!
:iconedwardsazv:
edwardsazv Featured By Owner 5 hours ago
phoenixleo said he wanted to watch me self flog
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner 4 hours ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
With all the BDSM fans around here, I don't think he's the only one.
:iconthe-abyss-watcher:
The-Abyss-Watcher Featured By Owner Edited 2 days ago  Professional Digital Artist
Some people here actually owe me an apology for calling me a conspiracy nut.
Precisely it's about health pass. A long ago I said it will happen, they called me names. It happened, and they still call me names, instead of...
Speaks volumes about them.

Edit: Yes, I'd accept an apology, but looks like it is too much to ask :D (Big Grin) 
A man once told me "Don't listen to what they have called you. I'm calling you friend."
:iconthe-abyss-watcher:
The-Abyss-Watcher Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Professional Digital Artist
Thank you.
Also, concerning some clowns posting below and trying to diminish the issue. I don't give a fuck what they think about my icon, but if talks about Dumblledore being their alt is true, they owe apology for, at least, one person at these forums, for being a total asshole. And it's not me. They know who it is.
:iconkaizenkitty:
KaizenKitty Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Professional Writer
sorry Abyss Watcher for complaining about your flashy icon

im sorry  :saddummy:
:iconeyeballearth:
EyeballEarth Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I wouldn't try making a video, I'd try to apologize personally, in realtime, either by text, voice or video call.
Yeah, that makes more sense. Like it means more when you stop with the whole persona schtick we all put on online. Be real with each other, as equals!
:iconeyeballearth:
EyeballEarth Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I guess an apology video makes sense for a celebrity or public person that did something alot of their followers disapprove. But between private persons I'd find someone making an apology video strange.
:iconlemiken7:
Lemiken7 Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Professional General Artist
Apologies by politicians are quite rare.
However, remember when Nick Clegg (ex leader of the Liberal Democrat Party) made that video apologizing to UK students after reneging on the free tuition election promise?
Well here it is folks!
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDjRZ30…
Ouch, not cool. I always thought it was kinda counter productive to society to paywall education. Even if I'm not too bright myself.
:iconlemiken7:
Lemiken7 Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Professional General Artist
Yea, it's not a good look is it?
If you're rich it's not a problem getting edukated.
:icontoukolovesart:
ToukoLovesArt Featured By Owner Edited 2 days ago  Hobbyist Photographer
I would use direct text message ... video is one-way ticket.
That way things can be clarified in a dialog if needed.
Hmm, Yes. Taking time to reflect and think out how you want to say what you feel is a good idea. What people say in the heat of the moment may not be how they really feel or think. An untrue self brought out by panic and pain.
Oh god, is that why people say "If you are innocent why are you staying silent?" Or "Why did you take so long to say anything?" A chilling thought.
keep it short. only apologize, dont give any ''reasons'' or ''excuses'' or ''explanations''. own up to what you did.
:iconolq-plo:
olq-plo Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
What do you think would be better :

You leave the table to go get something and leave your drink on the table, you come back and find your drink empty. 

1- sorry, I drank it.

2- sorry I drank it because I just choked on spice and thought I was gonna die.

(just a random example, no need to be nitpicky about it my point is just understanding the reasons why something happened seems much better than just hearing they are sorry)
number 1 is better.
...number 2 sounds too dramatic. you thought you were gonna die? really? :lol: just....that way of talking sounds a bit... fake. :shrug: and i'm less likely to forgive you if i think you're lying. :D
olq-plo Featured By Owner Edited 2 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Never mind if I said don't be nitpicky about the random example -_-

Yes, I thought was gonna die, I have breathing issues and something like that can make me not able to breath for 1 mn if I don't do something ? 

You're not realistic, if I said 1, you'd ask why anyway, you'd be so confused, you'd want a reason. 
XD
lol ok
im just explaining why number 2 sounds fake to me.

....if you cant breathe.... :O why you drinking water?? :O_o: wtf...

nah.
if you drank from my cup i'd be cool with it :D
maybe i would tease you a bit about indirectly kissing me ;P
but i would just wash the cup and pour myself more water... no biggie. :la:
:T

Is there like history between you two?
XD

i mean..... it would be a lie to say there wasnt. then again, you stick around the forum long enough, you have 'history' with all regs. :D so it's nothing all that bad.
LOL ha! I guess you have a point there!
olq-plo Featured By Owner Edited 2 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
To wash out the spice, that's causing the breathing struggle. 

Trust me I'd need a pretty goddamn good reason to drink from someone else cup too :stare: :bleh:
Why not ? I personally very much appreciate hearing reasons, in any case, I like to understand mechanism more than to know "they are sorry", the bunch of causes and different circumstances leading to a certain outcome are much more interesting and worthwhile imo. 
because the reasons provided (by the person apologizing) are often fake lies to make that person look better. that diminishes the strength of the apology. because then you're not really taking ownership of what you did. you are blaming circumstances, which means you think you did nothing wrong (in similar circumstances, you'd do it again). and i can't forgive that.
if i am curious about the ''why'', i will ask. :) most people just don't want to know. we just want you to stop the offensive behavior. :D don't really feel like investing a lot of time in investigating the whys and hows of what you did.
Personally I prefer knowing all the circumstances leading to an effect. Lies are lies, not reasons. 
i think in most cases the circumstances are pretty easy to deduce. in most cases i know why you did it. :D without you having to explain yourself. .....:shrug: thats why that part is not as interesting to me.
What if I was not sorry? But owning up to something does not mean you regret it right? You just own the fact you did someone wrong. And are willing to make amends?
then why apologize.... just to end an argument? or to preserve your ''image'' or ''reputation''?

well if you dont sound apologetic, :XD: and arent willing to make amends, and think you did nothing wrong, then thats not much of an apology.

......sometimes grand gestures (apology videos, ''loud'' apologies) aren't needed. just stop doing the offensive thing you were doing. maybe one day the offended person will realize (that you changed) and will forgive you... that might also look more genuine. just letting it go away quietly, not making a big thing out of it.

if you really wanna go the extra mile, you can do something nice for the person you hurt. stand up for them when they need help, ....or just... put in a good word for them.
Kinda like when Gumball reinflated the balloon kid in the boys restroom!
:icontim-in-a-box:
tim-in-a-box Featured By Owner 2 days ago
I don't care for apology videos honestly, I'm always thinking people make one because it's something you're ~supposed to do~ but in reality it doesn't matter and whatever happen isn't even any of business of 97% people who are watching the video x.x
It's the same with any kind of apologies, people just say /o well sorry/ because it's something you're supposed to do but that doesn't resolve the actual problem :/
Add a Comment: