Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

What makes a chair comfortable?

:iconladycanis:
LadyCanis Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Student General Artist
Hi everyone-

I am currently brainstorming a project and I have a question for everyone;

What makes a chair comfortable to you? Very simple. I know what makes Sheldon Cooper's chair perfect ;) but I'm curious as to elements that make someone physically comfortable.

Is your favourite chair kooshy and overstuffed? Old and dilapidated? When you sit in your comfy chair, what do you do? Do you have a laptop with you? A sketchbook? Are you watching tv? What can make it better?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondragriff:
dragriff Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013
One of them spinny office chairs, as long as they are sturdy enough for me to do the "lotus pose" in.
:iconksxzt:
KSXZT Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have a throne. It's not particularly comfortable but by damn, it looks impressive.
:iconlupina24:
Lupina24 Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Office chairs I'm very picky about.
1. The angle of the back has to be just slightly reclined back so my spine is straight but relaxed.
2. I love mesh material to ventilate so I don't get all sweaty.
3. Seat needs to be cushy otherwise my rear starts falling asleep.
4. No arm rests!!!! those things drive me nuts, take them off, take them away, ugh, be gone foul things.
5. Rolls easily
6. Adjustable height

Other chairs
foot rest
must recline
Does not rock, seriously.
low to the floor
pillowy or streamlined designed
upholstery,suede no leather.
folds out to bed or long enough to stretch out on.
:iconletii-tan:
Letii-Tan Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013   Digital Artist
if it doesn't make you wanna get up ever and doesn't hurt your butt
also something where you can do long task without having to hurt your back
:iconfalseshepherd:
FalseShepherd Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I get most of my comfort when I am able to sit the chair on my head, balancing it on one of the legs, of course.

But really, the majority of well made and albeit more expensive computer chairs tend to be adequately comfy. Hard chairs are a plain annoyance for me, for obvious reasons. I get more comfort from a well made couch rather than a chair though, you can't take on as many positions in a chair as a nice couch.

But some factors I believe to influence the comfort of any furniture you sit on are: Height; both how far the seating part is from the ground and also how high up it is against your back (above the shoulders is ideal I think without the need to slouch for it to be that way), cushioning, effective support of the back and neck and a relatively straight back to it, mostly because it's healthier for your posture otherwise you risk future persistent back and neck pains.
:iconmisterkhact:
MisterKhact Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
I found this video somewhat relevant.

[link]
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
Back support is the main component! I'm fairly tall, and most chairs are made for much shorter people. They often press against the base of my shoulder blades, or right around there. I have to slouch to avoid the intense pain, and that doesn't work in the long run.
As for my butt, it votes for firm, smooth support. If I might be there for a while, I don't want irregularities in the surface to cause sores or irritation...
:iconneolo:
NeoLo Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
Computer in front of it. :headbang:
:iconsoda-with-cyanide:
soda-with-cyanide Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Student General Artist
A comfortable chair, in my humble oppinion, is one that allows a wide array of slouchy, lazy positions without obstucting the sitter in any way, or at least obstruct them as little as possible.
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:pointr: Moved to the Deviants forum as it is better suited here.
:iconwhiskeybound:
Whiskeybound Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
A perfect chair for me would have to be one that not only rolled, had height adjust ability, Strong back support, but still cushioned, a comfortable seat, of course. None of that fake leather, or even real leather seats, I'll stick to my good ol' cloth cushions. And a cup holder. So you don't have to worry about knocking over a drink on your desk, it sits firmly in place in your chair.
:iconteagrrs:
Teagrrs Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
I love those pillowy round chairs that spin...its like being in a nest. That I can rotate :D
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
My favourite chair is pretty firm and bulky, but with a belly juuuuussstt soft enough to use as a pillow. It's got strong arms and a gentle touch, and a persistently warm temperature, and usually wears extremely soft sweaters and it smells very nice, and if I fall asleep on it it will carry me to bed.
:iconmeemie7:
Meemie7 Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Student General Artist
I like really plush chairs. Or couches cuz I like to sleep. A lot.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
It kind of depends on what I'm using the chair FOR.
I love my office chair that I use to work on the computer, but I wouldn't want to kick back in it and watch a movie. Although, in that instance, I'm more of a couch person.

Anyway, an office chair needs to be height-adjustible and have proper back support. A relaxing type chair needs to recline and have a footrest, and be large enough for a blanket and a friend (dog, cat, person, etc.). And er, somehow not be a couch.
Add a Comment: