Details

June 9
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Praise Superman 3 and Superman 4

:icontriagonal:
Triagonal Featured By Owner Jun 9, 2021  Hobbyist Artist
..."said no one ever" you might be thinking.

Just as a disclaimer, I am not a huge fan of Superman, more like a passing fan. It's a household name, so when something about him comes up, I am, like every other human on the planet, by default open to taking note. That said, I remember the day Superman Returns came out. In 2006, it was heralded as the "true" return of Superman to the screen. It was around the time I was testing my interest in superheroes (which I now know I have little interest in), and so I thought "yeah, sounds fun to watch".

It wasn't superb, to be blunt, although it was still qualifiably "good". One major thing to remember was it was one of those movies where you would've had to see the movies before it to understand what was going on (for example, one moment, Clark Kent is going to work and then they're talking about his boss, who doesn't appear because he passed away, so your introduction to him if this is your first movie is that he isn't alive anymore), which I think set the rough parts in motion. So after a while of flipping through channels, eventually I came across said first and second movies. I also came across the third and fourth movies. Actually, I forget which order I saw the movies.

Can you believe people were deterred by a comedic tone...... in a movie about Superman (the opposite of Batman no less), the same guy who everyone now associates with shaving in the mirror by blasting his face with heat vision because he can't cut himself with a flimsy razor blade?!? I'm not saying I would seek it out, but give me such a tone over the tone of darkness any day. Considering the movies people like today, technically, you could say Superman III was ahead of its time. There is at least some merit to positing that the movie is underrated. It wasn't a bad story either.

Superman IV wasn't, I guess you could say, utterly awful. The movie was listed on the international registry of "worst movies ever made", but if you actually watch it, as bad as it can be "argued" to be, you can probably tell this placement of the movie was the superhero fandom speaking, which is known for, well, you know. The placement of the movie in the ninth circle of cinema Hell is unfair if you ask me. If you know what you're doing (at least that applied to me), you can at least sit down to it.

There is a reason both movies have comic book adaptations that served themselves well. I don't dislike these movies the way I'm told I should.

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:icondumbledoreaskedcalm:
DumbledoreAskedCalm Featured By Owner 6 days ago
No the evil computer in III scares me. Especially when it turned that lady into a cyborg 
Triagonal Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist Artist
But cybermen are fine?
:icondumbledoreaskedcalm:
DumbledoreAskedCalm Featured By Owner 6 days ago
When you come to think of it, theyre scary too.
:icone-ocasio:
E-Ocasio Featured By Owner Jun 9, 2021   General Artist
I only saw Superman III once and did not like it. It was mostly a vehicle to enhance Richard Pryor's career.
Superman 4 The Quest For Peace at least had a good message about the international threat of nuclear war, which at the time was very real. It was a tad campy like the 60s Batman show, nevertheless I did like it.
:iconjphyper:
Jphyper Featured By Owner Jun 9, 2021
I don't think I've seen III, but IV... Just because something is nowhere near the worst doesn't mean it's not bad.
Triagonal Featured By Owner Jun 9, 2021  Hobbyist Artist
True
Add a Comment: