Details

July 20
Link

Statistics

Replies: 41

what would you do?

:iconricksanders2:
ricksanders2 Featured By Owner Edited 3 days ago
Say you could get eternal happiness, have all your desires perfectly fulfilled, literally get everything you want, and experience joy and love on levels you never even imagined and all you would have to do is die. Would you kill yourself?  

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconljmorgue:
LJMorgue Featured By Owner 1 day ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
in a HEART BEAT!!
:iconicyblade29:
IcyBlade29 Featured By Owner 1 day ago  New Deviant Student Digital Artist
I don't think i would want that kind of happiness, if i bring pain to others while i'm gone then that's egoist, and that happiness is fake.
:iconxianghua:
Xianghua Featured By Owner Edited 1 day ago  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Your statement kind of contradicted itself.

Seeking desire pleasure and eternal happiness/ bliss seems to be on the opposite spectrum in most religions.

In fact the more a person indulge into desires the closer to hell they will be.

" Seeking samsaric pleasure is the door to all sufferings
They are uncertain and cannot be relied upon
Recognizing these shortcomings
Please bless me to generate the strong wish for the bliss of liberation”

-Lama Tsongkhapa (The Foundation of All Good Qualities)
ricksanders2 Featured By Owner 1 day ago
religions are bullshit especially christianity
:iconmoondancerx0:
MoonDancerX0 Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
No, because under this setup there are desires that I don't think can be perfectly fulfilled. It could either rewrite who people are on a fundamental level or it could create very convincing facsimiles. One would be a violation of people's very being and the other would be an elaborate lie. Frankly it all sounds rather depressing. In fact if this were something that were real and demonstrable I think I'd sooner suffer to death than decide to die with dignity should I ever end up in a situation where that's something that needs to be considered.
:iconyangxiaofan457:
YangXiaoFan457 Featured By Owner 2 days ago
No matter what country you are from, folklore have taught us never to trust offers like that.
:iconfred1009:
fred1009 Featured By Owner 2 days ago
>> folklore have taught us never to trust offers like that. <<

Good point. For example: If you were lobotomized, it would not take much to keep you happy. You spend eternity in rapture with drool running down your chin.  
YangXiaoFan457 Featured By Owner 2 days ago
I think there was a Korean story where a guy asked for unlimited wishes and he kept using them until he got bored and miserable. So he made his final wish which was "to be happy" but it meant that he really did feel nothing but happiness and had to be spoon fed, had his diaper changed, etc because he was incapable of doing anything else.
fred1009 Featured By Owner 1 day ago
Yes. Be careful what you wish for.

I'm reminded of Ursula K. Le Guin's novel: "The Lathe of Heaven" where the protagonist has dreams that change reality. 
YangXiaoFan457 Featured By Owner 1 day ago
I will also check that out too thanks!
I think there was a early Twilight Zone episode about that issue.  
ricksanders2 Featured By Owner 2 days ago
that episode was bullshit
Edit: Twilight Zone was fiction. Bullshit is fiction presented as truth. 
Twilight Zone was fiction.
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner 2 days ago
that would imply you would lose all that happiness as anyone that commits suicide it darkens their soul and voids them of happiness and causes them to restart from the bottom.  but for those that don't believe or witnessed via near death experiences, then they'll think what they'll think.
:iconpinkandscary:
PinkAndScary Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Hobbyist
No. I would live my life before I eventually die. No need to take a risk.
:iconjasesaster:
Jasesaster Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Is there a time limit to it? Cause I can just wait it out, enjoy the rest of my life and get Nirvana at the end of my life.

If there isn't then no, If there is. It might run across my mind for a bit and make me consider, however I won't believe that will come from just any douche that first tells me "If you die right now, you will enjoy all the eternal pleasure"

the offer's there for eternity
I'll happily wait it out. I'll enjoy my time here with its benefits and downfalls.
:iconmaskeddeviantreturns:
MaskedDeviantReturns Featured By Owner 2 days ago
What are the parameters here? Do I have to die this moment or can I live out my life naturally first? Let's presume that it is the former otherwise there is nothing to lose in the deal. I probably wouldn't take the offer because as I have argued in the past, an eternal amount of anything renders it completely valueless. If your every desire is instantly fulfilled then none of them have any meaning. It would be like handing a hundred dollar bill to a person with unlimited funds in their bank account. If you say that I would be happy for all eternity regardless then my life and happiness itself would have zero value. I would just be a mindless happiness zombie for all eternity. No thanks.
:icondoomrater:
doomrater Featured By Owner 2 days ago
"We cannot fail.  It is prophecy.  For We Are Many."

(someone please get the reference)
I was gonna say Legion from the first ghost rider movie. But then you said its a videogame.
Well the bad guy is literally Legion, so there's that.
So I got it right even though its probably not the right movie or game.
What was it anyways?
Shadow Man. Legion is recruiting Jack the Ripper with this line.
dune?
Think voodoo based video game. multiple platforms including the PC and N64. Also got a remaster recently for PC.
oh sorry I'm not into video games
:iconkoshej:
Koshej Featured By Owner 2 days ago
You are operating under a WHAT-IF that nobody sane would subscribe to, for one reason or another.
Now, INSANE people...
If I had proof I'd end it in a heartbeat even without proof I'd probably do it it's worth the risk
:iconwolkodaw:
Wolkodaw Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist Artist
I would question my sanity
why?
Wolkodaw Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Hobbyist Artist
Won't you "slit my throat" when I answer that? (:
no
Wolkodaw Featured By Owner Edited 1 day ago  Hobbyist Artist
Alrighty then. Today Im drunk and bored enough and versed in cqc. Here we go.

Lets put this whole lazy ass attitiude of the whole idea aside. What you had written is a contradiction in itself. Happyness, desire, posession, joy and love are concepts of the human mind that functions on a basis of a living human brain tissue. An analogy would be me giving you all the computergames of your desire but putting you in a room without electricity or a platform to run those games. Death is ceasing of your own existence not expanding it with benefits. Well if part of me would be idiotic enough to belive this, I would question myself how this could have been working, as my desire woulde be not have been died, but have my wishes fullfilled, rendering this whole deal impossible by taking out the prerequisite. My conclusion would be it is a sceme of either a death cult or an edgy teenager.

If my mind would ever accept the 
existence of such nonsensical concept, that would leave me with the conclusion of having a psychological ond/or logical malfunction. Thats why I would question my sanity. cheers.
:iconbeta-piscium:
Beta-Piscium Featured By Owner 3 days ago  New Deviant
No.

“You shall not murder” includes murdering yourself. Since I believe it to be a sin, surely it would negate any joy I experience from this sin to know that I have sinned in the first place.
ricksanders2 Featured By Owner Edited 3 days ago
what if it isn't a sin,what if sin doesn't really exist
Beta-Piscium Featured By Owner Edited 3 days ago  New Deviant
Then I would have still cut my life short purely based on someone’s word that I would be in a state of pure bliss by doing so. Which would be idiotic.
what if you had proof
Beta-Piscium Featured By Owner 2 days ago  New Deviant
See my first comment.
Add a Comment: