Details

June 9
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

One thing I could do without is the "born again" phrase

:icontriagonal:
Triagonal Featured By Owner Jun 9, 2021  Hobbyist Artist
This could've easily gone into the complaints forum/subforum, but it isn't as if it isn't relevant here.

I'm unlike a number of others you see, as I do hold adherence to God/Adonai/Chokhmah. I was what in circles would be referred to as an agnostic for the first seven or eight years of my life, and so the phrase in question is relevant to me. I just... really... don't like it, at all. I'm not "less devoted", but... it's not (personally) defining, I guess I should say, is this so wrong? Yet everywhere I go, the phrase is used absolutely everywhere to address other people and to address me.

I went to church last week, and everyone was talking about "born again experiences". They talked about "being in darkness" and "finding the light". Then I was called upon (my sect so-to-speak is different from theirs, but they don't differentiate) as if to urge me to share. I lucked my way out of that. I didn't want to say "well this happened and this happened, the end".

It isn't like I had any problem with God before I fully realized my current leaning. There was no caterpillar butterfly moment, so-to-speak. As I often roughly put it, a butterfly comes out when she realizes the seasons have awakened, it so happened I just came out. My actual birth, me making up for a lost loved one, and then my graduation from trade school and high school are each a different story.

Is there some issue with all this, or the opposite if I were to ask you?

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconshockalockadingdong:
shockalockadingdong Featured By Owner 3 days ago
I (a Christian) am somewhat skeptical of the emotion-driven nature of those “born again” testimonies. I’m sure some people’s conversions really were that drastic (mine sort of was), but I also don’t like when churches/sects rely very heavily on such experiences and treat you like you’re not really a Christian if you didn’t experience such a drastic change. But those people are the minority, anyways.

In reality, being born again is not an “emotional” or drastic experience. All it is, really, is a change of heart or will from living in sin to living for God. It’s called “born again” because you are born as second time, in a sense, because in choosing God you inherit a new and eternal life with Him. There is terminology in the Bible, likening the experience to things like “stone turning into flesh” or “light breaking through the darkness”. And that is true; when a person chooses to live for God, His presence will cause them to become more like Him, making them more loving, kind, gentle, and desirous of the truth. But again, this is not meant to be a drastic, immediate incident but a gradual one that takes place over time.

I hope this makes sense, God bless.
:icondqube:
dqube Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Professional Digital Artist
Why should there be an issue, you just changed your viewpoint. The phrase itself is a fallacy, you don't get reborn by getting religious, you can only be born again if you were dead.
:iconhobby-crafts:
Hobby-Crafts Featured By Owner Edited Jun 10, 2021  Hobbyist General Artist
It's deep, for people with any kind of religious conditioning you never really ever escape it no matter what's happened to you. They only ever register were you were, never where you are :( (Sad) ..
:iconnighteba:
Nighteba Featured By Owner Jun 10, 2021  Hobbyist Digital Artist
For some it's an electroshock, for others it happens gradually... (you might be part of the latter)
:iconthe-venturers:
The-Venturers Featured By Owner Jun 10, 2021
Being too preoccupied with other things in the journey of life can spell disaster if you aren't watching where your going; some change lanes when they see the darkness of a tunnel, others when they hear the warning horn, some when they see the light, but most are so distracted for so long, they don't see the oncoming train until it's too late.
:iconblackbook668:
blackbook668 Featured By Owner Jun 10, 2021
Going from agnostic to believer I wouldn't count as being born again, that is going specifically from being a non-believer, that is someone who disbelieves in God, to a believer.

A lot of believers don't share this but it's something I've observed in a few people that the faith isn't that strong. A lot of Christians I imagine are Christian in name only.

I think the problem I have with born again is the way people who describe themselves as such act, it all calls for a very grandiose view of things, beating one's chest or acting overly humble. It's too self-aware at the least, always getting in the way of itself. That's the problem with most defined phenomena, this overt self-awareness leading to a lessening of the thing itself.
Add a Comment: