Details

Closed to new replies
August 27, 2019
Link

Statistics

Replies: 123

making a living from video game/animation/manga making?

:iconcometsan:
cometsan Featured By Owner Aug 27, 2019
Hello, what to set up?

Where do i sell?

what should i write?

how to sell?

Anyone knows? cheers.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

Flagged as Spam
cometsan Featured By Owner Sep 9, 2019
no, i havent
:iconlumosido:
LuMosido Featured By Owner Sep 7, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well at the begining it will be definitely very hard to make a living of such arts.
Do you have any projects? Assets? Portfolio? Anything to show off or sell to publics? Getting a bit of money here and there is possible from standalone pieces/assets, and if you gain some nice publicity (followers, watchers, likes whatever in social media) then supporting yourself only from creating is possible. Don't think about making any profit if you don't really have the product.

Of course making games alone is totaly possible if you
a) have the money to buy the assets that you're not familliar with (sound, models, scripts)
b) are skilled in basicly everything (you can draw,paint, do 3d models(that includes modeling,texturing,riging, animating), being familiar with game engine and programinng, level design, sound design, gameplay etc...)

Gamedevelopment is worth milions for a reason, it takes a lot of effort in diffrient skills to actually create something.
cometsan Featured By Owner Sep 7, 2019
i dont like being "followed", or interview, or public speaking...
very unartly to do. not fun.

but i do know having alot of pageview is good, i think..
means you get alot of traffic so at least you know if the product is good or bad?

do you know how to get traffic?
LuMosido Featured By Owner Sep 7, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well... by advertising yourself everywhere possible, and by uploading content regulary and at the right time, and by generaly being active
cometsan Featured By Owner Sep 8, 2019
do you advertise everywhere
LuMosido Featured By Owner Sep 8, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I try to have a large reach for my art obviously.
I use dA, artstation (these two already allowed me to earn a bit), stream on twitch and recently started a Youtube channel.

For the gamedev part (as Im working on a game projects with my 2 friends) we have a
base webpage set up and will probably also use facebook or whatever.
Oh those are alot, what do you usually take for payment?
LuMosido Featured By Owner Sep 8, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I wouldn't consider it a lot by looking at the fact popular artists are basicly on every platform possible.
I use paypal which is most convinient when your customers are all around the world, the price depends if someone orders something from me or if they want, for example, use something I already made,  and I adjust it to the time I spend on such piece.
do you do it alone?
(1 Reply)
:iconblacklenk:
BlackLenk Featured By Owner Edited Sep 2, 2019
Hi! I can't tell you much about making manga or gamedevelopment but I could share some experience about the animation. Well only if you mean the 2D or 3D animation and not mistaking it for specifically making anime series. That's not too well paid job from what I've heard. At least not in Japan where most of succesfull animes are made.

3D and 2D animation is very demanded these days. There is a huuge amount of companies who search for animators and 3D modellers to work on advertisements for them and the animator can get a really good money this way because you will always get more money from commission for a company that for an individual. I haven't worked on such project yet but my friends and classmates have and it's really cool thing to do. Though it can be hard for people to get familiar with programs like After Effects, Blender, Maya, Houdini...
cometsan Featured By Owner Sep 2, 2019
oh sorry i mean independent?
BlackLenk Featured By Owner Sep 3, 2019
Hmm, okay. I know there's a bunch of independent 2D animators who make short films for a living. Sorry I can't remember the names right now. The key to being independent is having a huge comunity that stands behind you and buys your work. You can do that through Patreon for exapmle but you need to already have that huge community. That's what mostly every artist if after right now. It is not expected to be any easy.
cometsan Featured By Owner Sep 3, 2019
have huge community? like what friends? not random customers?
Like a community that will buy stuff fom you so you earn money to pay bills and stuff.
is that not a random buyer that will pass you in life?

community seems...rather personal and private.
But who's gonna buy from you when nobody knows you? How many people can you reach? It's a huge difference when artist with 100 followers and the one with 10 000 followers offer the same thing.
so when people buy from you they have to know about you?

that's, unexpected.
(1 Reply)
:iconpixitales:
PixiTales Featured By Owner Edited Aug 28, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Making a game, manga or animation by yourself, that will take you about many years without paid. There are so many good games and animations out already so its going to be a tough competition. You need a team of like 30+ people. Its better just to get hired by one if you don't have money to hire people.

Writing codes for game is really hard. How do you make a character jump in 2D top down games? You can get stuck for like weeks figuring out the bugs.
cometsan Featured By Owner Aug 28, 2019
but, one piece were popular even since the beginning of its publication? accrdng to wiki?

does the writer not get any cash at all too?

yeah games is hard. do u sell games?
:iconpixitales:
PixiTales Featured By Owner Edited Aug 29, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Toei is a really big company with lots of people.

The writer gets paid. Can you image writing and drawing one chapter a week?

No, i let people play my game for free because i cant afford to hire people to play test my game. My game isnt even finished.

I have a real job to pay for my art supplies, art classes and drawing device. As for side jobs, i only get paid like $40 per video game character design, so not worth it. Only because i love to draw keeps me going.
cometsan Featured By Owner Aug 29, 2019
i dont understand.

seems like we're on different topic now.
:iconsweetevilladykitty:
SweetEvilLadyKitty Featured By Owner Aug 28, 2019  Professional Artist
My personal opinion! Start small if you want to make a game. If you aren't going to college then you will need to find a role in a part of the game industry and pursue that in your own free time(there is plenty of resources to learn from). If you want to make games independently, do you know what kind of games you want to make? What part of your game, do you intend to fill? You need to ask yourself and then find people who will join you on your project. 
no, no i'm selling for my own personal venue...

i have no company experience.

you know...earning for yourself...
do i just upload and say, "hey im selling?" like that? how do i get alot of people to play and buy? like thousand of sales and million of revenues?
SweetEvilLadyKitty Featured By Owner Aug 28, 2019  Professional Artist
Well if you have no experience(create your own experience by working on your own game projects/find people to join you). Okay if you wish to create a commercial game (you need to figure out what type of game you are going to make). Throughout the whole process it would be ideal to have a social media page/youtube videos of your game/demo at some point so people can try your game. You can sale games on steam/itchio.  Pretty much what kind of niche are you wanting to get into? Message me if you wish to know more!
i have itchio and some pages ready. what else to do?
SweetEvilLadyKitty Featured By Owner Aug 30, 2019  Professional Artist
Okay ideally you should post your game to like Steam (it would reach more people). What game engine are you going to use? What kind of game are you are you aiming for/Do you have an outline that will work for a game concept? For example me and my small team is working on a visual novel/rpg game. We are using rpg maker (making our own custom tiles and etc). You need to decide on the Engine,A game outline, Make sure your game has a market for it! 
cometsan Featured By Owner Aug 30, 2019
In a way you are saying, somethings just dont sell if the market dont exist?

regardless of marketting and sales?
SweetEvilLadyKitty Featured By Owner Aug 30, 2019  Professional Artist
Well there is a market for every type of game! You just got to decide on the niche you want to break into!
cometsan Featured By Owner Aug 30, 2019
Oh i seee.... thank you. are you a developer yourself?
(1 Reply)
:iconakatix:
Akatix Featured By Owner Edited Aug 28, 2019  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
How much experience do you have in creating games? Do you have demos or any assets done?

Because if not getting into the business without going to school first is nearly impossible unless you have the most impressive portfolio ever. The biggest thing university or college will do is make you a portfolio, which any and all game developers / animation studio / publisher will require to even entertain the idea of an interview or meeting. 

To go from a hobby to a full time job it takes a great amount of work and effort, you can't just jump into it and expect to make a living. I would suggest starting off and working your way up! After that, you'll have all the resources you need to answer the rest of your questions 
I have invested ALOT of money in schools. we never touched on the business side so it's the problem now

what about you? 
Akatix Featured By Owner Aug 28, 2019  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
If you have all the portfolio work and certificates - finding a job is just a matter of researching developers you'd want to work with and starting there. Once you have a good handle on things through a team working on your own becomes much more reasonable and you'll have the experience to get further into business marketing. 

If you're looking more on the indie side of things, there's always Steam programs and other sites to just get it out there. It's not likely you'll be making enough to make a living off it right away or quickly however (although it does happen from time to time). 

I'm working more on the digital art and craft sales side of things (not yet making a full living but able to supplement my day to day income substantially), but have friends who tried for the video game industry as well as mentors who've gone through the whole process. It's one hell of a hard road unless you're pre-established or starting off learning from a developer. My day job is also a senior marketing professional, so the selling of things is what I do. It really helps
how do i research them? that sounds very...inappropriate.
Do you research people? like detective work?

What part you feel hard? sales?
Akatix Featured By Owner Aug 28, 2019  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Not individual people - game companies. They have websites that are easily looked into which will usually advertise if there are any job openings. Literally just type 'Local Game Developers' into Google and find something near you. 

Since I sell from a personal level, keeping orders filled and managing time is the hardest part. But, since I've been growing my business for 8 or so years, I do have a semi-decent set of commission types and products that I know sell well. And there's always my full-time job which keeps me afloat during the slow months. 

For gaming however, you won't get a payout until after it's 100% complete unless you get it crowdfunded - but even then you'll need some manner of a demo to get it going. Do you have any games currently in the works? 
I see. no. just a prototype yet.

but you could say i care for game alot, i wish that it could be a top scoring, so i can earn and finally pay my bills and my parents...
does sales and profit need extra care? like, proper marketting, advertisements...

i mean, getting competition would kill...
Akatix Featured By Owner Aug 29, 2019  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Of course it does, without sales and advertising your game won't go anywhere.

There are millions of other games out there ranging from independently made to million dollar productions, and somehow yours needs to stand out in order to make a constant flow of money.
Even then, games take years to produce especially if you're on your own
cometsan Featured By Owner Aug 29, 2019
okok, i understand. that's very nice.

do you make games?

or know anything about good sales and advertising?
(1 Reply)
:iconrasherusuzie:
RasheruSuzie Featured By Owner Aug 28, 2019  Professional Digital Artist
To make a stable living from it, find a job in a studio (assuming you have the required skills). I've worked on games, and on animation for a living. Mangas and comics are a lot harder to get into from my experience (depending where you live of course). With the other two, you might be able to find a job if you know some programming and/or some modeling and/or some animating, etc.
oh ok, sorry, what about independently?
:iconrasherusuzie:
RasheruSuzie Featured By Owner Aug 28, 2019  Professional Digital Artist
It can happen but it'll be based more on self-marketing skills and luck. Animation though is nearly completely made in a team environment because it includes so many steps, different skills, and is extremely time-consuming.
i seee...but how do u sell?

how do u get, millions of people to see and watch and pay your stuff?
:iconsolidspy24:
SolidSpy24 Featured By Owner Sep 1, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Believe me if anyone had the answer to that they would be keeping it to themselves. Getting millions of people to recognize your genius is the ultimate goal of every indie dev and only a select few manage to do it.
cometsan Featured By Owner Sep 1, 2019
wooo neeat.
:iconjachalke:
Jachalke Featured By Owner Aug 27, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Unless you have a group of people to help you make your game or tv show, or plan to go to college for 2-4 years, it's next to impossible to do this as a job.
If you want to make money on manga, go back in your mothers womb and be reborn in japan.
cometsan Featured By Owner Aug 27, 2019
ok, next!

need something more practical! 
and why college? details?
Jachalke Featured By Owner Edited Aug 28, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Making a video game takes an extreme amount of knowledge and effort. You need to develop art, sound, story, be able to write code(which is like it's own language basically) and be able to market your product effectively. You CAN learn it on your own, but unless you are a super-genius with an aptitude for all forms of art, it's not likely you will be very successful due to the sheer amount of work involved. Most Colleges offer courses that teach you these things, but even if you go, you will not be making your own dream project, you will be working as part of a team on one single part of the game you are making.
The average cost to develop a high quality, triple A video game is around 20 million dollars due to the amount of people they have to pay to develop the game, test it, and market it. It's a much larger task than it seems.

There are some people who are exceptionally skilled and manage to make something very simplistic on their own and succeed. Undertale is an example of this, but I believe Toby Fox even had some help with his project, and also had been developing his skills from a young age.

These people are one in a million, and for every successful person like this there are thousands of others who have tried the same thing and failed. It's not a realistic goal to decide one day you want to make money as a game maker, doing so is only setting yourself up for disappointment.
:iconxvaster:
Xvaster Featured By Owner Edited Aug 28, 2019
actually you dont necessary need to know any language, on unreal there is also a section noob friendly
However there are many resource/documantatio online, a school isnt needed at all
rather, usually in the schools you throw your money,
the school programs usually sucks and are slow as fuck

Jachalke Featured By Owner Aug 28, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You can learn it on your own, yes, but most companies won't take you seriously if you dont have a degree. So then you are stuck making indie games, and need to have a good group of friends who will help you achieve your goal. It's next to impossible to make an entire game yourself, unless it's something super simple.
:iconxvaster:
Xvaster Featured By Owner Edited Aug 28, 2019
for the companies, it really depends, but if they need to hire people without actually knowing anything about, a degree is usefull, because with that they can somehow, hiring people not completely blind
differen discourse if you can demonstrate your skills, for example maybe you have a instagram page where you post your drawings or you find a bug in your software (unless they are scumbags and want to denouce you for doing so) or whatever
or also sometimes company often organize entry tests, so..
However I wouldnt say so, is possible to make a entire game by yourself, it only depends on your time and skills for the final result
Add a Comment: