Closed to new replies
July 21
Link

Statistics

Replies: 30

Argentinan painter plagiarises anime for $$$

:iconredlenai:
RedLenai Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2021  Professional General Artist
So, a few weeks ago in my country, Argentina.
It was discovered on social media that a painter (because calling her an artist feels a bit too humble) called Fatima Pecci Carou had an exhibition on Museo Evita, a public museum in which, her curator, Eva Grinstein won a grant of $50.000 argentinian pesos (around $500 USD) however, the news mostly went about Carou's peculiar choice of topic, not only works related to the icon of the Museum, Eva Perón an activist of the peronist party and first lady of Argentina from June 1946 until her death in July 1952 (But depicted as a feminist despite, the actual Eva Perón wasn't one) and anime....

You've heard right, anime, politics and a museum. But the problem wasn't the fact that a peculiar combination arised and was exhibited and even won a grant. It was not long ago that a digital artist while watching a Podcast talking about the woman noticed that the main work of the exhibition, called "Evita Ninja" was in fact, a plagiarized (also knock-off) version of a skin of Alice from the game SINoAlice. In specific Kimono Alice
The artist mention this to the Youtuber (TipitoEnojado), host of the podcast, and decided to work together to find out more about the works of this woman, maybe believing it was just a single plagiarized work, a mere coincidence, or something intentional...

Tipito Enojado then, makes a video on June 13th called "Feminist scams a National Museum?" where, he first mentions the relationship of Fatima Pecci Carou's with the Museum, which herself in an interview mentions that:

"Last year a girl from the museum Evita, an educator called Marcela, called me because she was interested in one of my works she saw online (Which was an "Evita Montonera", plagiarized from an illustration by SoundlessWind) and talked to me about making an exhibition!"

So, with that as a starting point. Tipito began to dig even more on the issue, he not only discovered that Fatima was in fact friends with judges, art critiques, and the fact that she collaborated with Eva Grinstein (her curator) for the grant of $50.000 argentinian pesos... but said grant was mentioned to be for Artists and curators that were affected negatively by the pandemic, were struggling to get incomes and did not get support from the State neither worked for the Minister of Culture. (Which, if you investigate a bit, there were several articles before the accusations began, that claimed that Fatima won the grant, not Grinstein... And when people began to talk about the issue, they claimed that Fatima winning the grant was missinformation, but seems that if it was under a positive and supportive lights, nobody cared about the mistake)

The relationship between Fatima's militance and both the Minister of Culture and Museum Evita, originates from the fact that Tristán Bauer was put in the position of Minister in 2019 by the current president Alberto Fernandez, while Aída Ocaranza, the director of Museum Evita, is an ex-deputy. Which, leads that if you're in favour of the current government, and if you make stuff involving both politics and activisim... it makes us believe that knowing someone with good
connections its better than polishing your portfolio on your own.

After the accusations went viral, 11 works were found, some artists were also contacted... Fatima, on her defense, claimed that she was only taking "references" that "art is all about taking other people's work, it has been done all along art history", "they put my work in comparison to a girl from Japan's, which she in fact is making artwork from My Little Pony (AgavoArt), then, she is also plagiarising"
 Her curator, Eva Grinstein and even the art historian, Andrea Guinta, used examples such as Mona Lisa's reinterpretations, Andy Warhol, Lichtenstein, and more... yet, it seems these 3 womans lack the fact that certain movements from Contemporary Art were in fact from a specific era, and specific topics, not to mention, that some of the examples they attempted to use from them, were in fact works that common sense would say "This is reference because the general public knows about it" like the Campbell cans, Marilyn Monroe, Lichtenstein, etc. Let's not forget that in some cases some works are of free domain, Mona Lisa. Or that said artists who based their work on plagiarism where sued, had to pay for the rights to use their reinterpretations, give royalties to the affected artists, or even, some of the affected ones made strips and narrated their situation and how negatively affected they were thanks to these appropriationists.

However, some of the original artists began to complain and show their disgust not only for the plagiarism but the fact that it is unbelievable that a Museum accepted this, that this woman managed to post these knock-off works on Artsy and even sold them, which in a technical level aren't even the great thing. We argentinians know we can't do anything against a woman that takes advantage of her privileges as a militant of both feminism and peronism party (Which, to be honest, there are way greater artists who are part of the movement or are militants), its an employee of the Minister of Health, she even works for the
Federal Administration of Public Revenue (where all Fatima's information is public, in case someone asks about the ""doxxing"", not to mention she had her ID documentation and even more in public on her own FB page which is no longer visible, same her instagram) and is friends with people such as the curator, the Museum administratives and such.

Here is a Google Doc providing all the plagiarised works found so far, which are 36... there is also screenshots of her profile on Atsy regarding said stolen works being for sale or sold. Not to mention some tweets of some of the affected artists like AgavoArt, SoundlessWind and Batusawa.
docs.google.com/document/d/1HO…

The issue is mostly in spanish, which was addressed by the YouTuber TipitoEnojado (little angry guy) in 4 videos. Of course other spanish youtubers addressed the issue as well, and even some art oriented youtubers.
There were people who only came from the anti feminist/peronist party, but, not only they took advantage of the art theft to insult Fatima, but she herself, took advantage of that to victimize herself and claimed that the accusations were made by "facists otaku juveniles", that is only a thing regarding macho men and that they want to move her away because of the message/topic she touches with her "work", and as we know, she even attempted to accuse the original artists because she doesn't know the difference between fanart and plagiarism... and the fact that most of the independent/professional artists she took works from are mostly women, the rest, were works stolen from editorials, animation houses, videogames and such.

Tipito Enojado's videos:
Feminist scams a National Museum?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFr2Xb…

Critique of Feminist Art with a famous artist
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcrFgM…

This is not art - Interviewing Avelina Lesper
www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2FpH5…

All against all - Feminism "defends" Fatiam Pecci Carou
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PbU_8…

Then, some english videos came after bilingual anime fans, artists and people in general began to talk about the issue at a greater scale:

Japanese artists have a terrible situation going on... by Hero Hei

The Worst Professional Artist Ever Is Selling Stolen Art For $$$ by Mohammed Agbadi
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J7SSJ…

Artist Accused of PLAGIARISING Anime Fan Art and Selling it for THOUSANDS! by ClownFish TV
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ub5SC…

As an Argentinian, digital artist and freelancer myself I honestly don't know what to feel despite anger, as I'm also an acquaintance of Batusawa, one of the artists plagiarised by Carou, which I've been translating the issue to her after she was contacted by TipitoEnojado and yes, we cannot believe all the stuff that has been said. These contemporary, militant artists... seems to don't know that we no longer live on the 60's, that we are connected all day with different people around the globe, you and I are wondering now... Why this woman thought no one was going to notice? The answer must be simpler than we thought: Just as she targetted people, the affected artists and other art connoisseurs of ignorants, she assumed the general public of Argentina were ignorants too and that no one was going to notice her highly-referenced knock-offs...
 Fun thing, the few people that originally defended Fatima without knowing about the issue, saw her paintings and said "well maybe she doesn't know about anything, based on her works, she must be pretty young" and once they discovered that in fact this woman is 37 years old, damn they went nuts and couldn't believe this.

Let's not forget now that there are individuals who claim that the whole issue is nothing but "jealousy" because the original artists couldn't achieve the same as Fatima and that this is nothing but boosting her fame... I hardly doubt it.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmasterplanner:
MasterPlanner Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2021  Professional Artisan Crafter
Remember kids, success isn't about what you know, it's about who you know!
:iconemperorseverne:
EmperorSeverne Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Hobbyist General Artist
This would not have been an issue had those drawings been done for practice reasons and kept non-profit with explicit credit to the original artists.

Just proves further that all you need to be famous and successful in this day and age is not actual skills or talent, but just knowing whose assholes to lick.
RedLenai Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2021  Professional General Artist
That wasn't going to happen either, mostly because the works were presented as originals on:
Artsy
The art exhibitions and galleries
Fatima's website

And she only claimed she "used references" when she got caught and pretended to defense herself with the press. And now is using stupid claims such as "Reference" "appropriationism" "reinterpretation" "resignification".

Just be part of a feminist and peronist agenda in this country, constantly promote the goverment and be active WHEN your favorite party is winning and gets elected to be president to constantly grab the issues of the country by its balls and try to insert them in big chunks of text describing some low skill rip-off drawing to "tell a message" independently of your skills who are only justified because you have a Title
:icongachamelovesdaanime:
gachamelovesdaanime Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2021
That's some common sense because people are so ignorant to just give up their fame over money or just for seeking attention ect.
:iconclumsysquid:
ClumsySquid Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oof, I've heard about her a couple days ago. Really made my blood boil. The museum's at fault too. I hope one day IP laws become more possible to exercise by general public, and people like this pos would be held accountable to full extent of the crime. 
I'm from Argentina, so imagine my reaction when my brother-in-law sent me the first video addressing the issue, I had heartburns for three days straight, and when her defense was made on "La Nación+" and "Página 12" gosh, I may still have my high-school information and I may be a self-taught artist but.... gosh she did not only hide under the curator and the art historian that defended her, but those two jokes of "art connoisseurs" used examples such as Da Vinci's Mona Lisa, Andy Warhol's cans and fricking Roy Lichtenstein but they limited the information, avoiding all the legal troubles they had, the critiques, art rights they bought or the agreements with the plagiarised artists they had outside courts, or how Mona Lisa is of free domain since Da Vinci's copyright expired a long time ago because he is dead. They are ignorants.

Worst was to see the journalist from Pagina 12, claiming that it's the same as using memes, everyone is plagiarising then, God if she knew there is a mega archive crediting the origin of those memes on fricking Know your Meme
ClumsySquid Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2021  Hobbyist Digital Artist
fkng art thieves will find any excuse for their terrible acts
RedLenai Featured By Owner Jul 27, 2021  Professional General Artist
Excuse yourself but I'm Argentinian, the man that put the plagiarism under the light is argentinian and us argentinian working together were the ones that found around 36 plagiarised works, contacted the original artists, I myself informed the case to Batusawa and both translated and let know the issue to the non-spanish speakers.
Try to not put everyone under the same bag, otherwise you're no different from this woman who calls everyone macho or sexist after being caught or the antis that say that all artists, all feminists or all peronists are thiefs.
ClumsySquid Featured By Owner Jul 27, 2021  Hobbyist Digital Artist
so yeah we know Argentina is a joke

exempt from your own comment below to another person, who also said literally NOTHING about Argentina

you must dislike your country a lot, huh.
I think you seriously misunderstood my sentence.
if you're defending that art thief - I'm not intending on listening. Art thieving is ALWAYS a scum move.
RedLenai Featured By Owner Edited Jul 27, 2021  Professional General Artist
How am I defending the art theft when I'm the one exposing it here in DeviantART?
Dude, chill out because you're clearly making some wild assumptions, I made a fricking document both showing the plagiarised work and the original, crediting the original artists and linking to their social media, which in fact so far are 36 works and I also translated the damn issue properly because it's better than attempting to use Google Translate and have some half translated half nonsense on Journal articles.

When I'm defending art thiefs? Quote it, because when I say try not to put everyone under the same bag it's because I've already dealt with people saying "all argentinians are like this" "argentinians are all thiefs" "fucking argenitinians always lying and stealing" or same when it comes to feminist people, it's important to don't put everyone under the same bag because not all thiefs are fricking adults, some are just kids who don't know about art etiquette so it's important to know who the plagiarist is instead of just throwing knifes at everything that moves, children can learn, now adults especially the ones that take advantage of their privileges, it's something that would only be fixed once you show them there is something bigger and way more powerful than them, few are the chances when someone just didn't knew or mistook an art branch and went beyond the limits of referencing or doing appropiationism.
I think you're trying to argue for no reason, because I clearly did not say whatever you're gaslighting me into. This is weird, I'm out. Good job exposing the art thief, but you're oddly inclined to be hostile towards a person who agreed with you, so have a nice day.
I wonder how do you manage to assume someone is being aggresive to you when you clearly don't know the person and the connotation of words on text are something that is totally up to you, I apologize if my attempts of speaking on a language that is not mine ends up bringing you the wrong idea, but even if my english is quite rusty, I'm in no way attempting to pick a fight, as you say
(2 Replies)
Again, I said you cannot put everyone under the same bag, you never know when the art thief is a kid and is just confused, doesn't know about art, or anyone who is new to the field and needs some guidance. Mistakes can be made and not always art thiefs do it with the intention to scam lots of people.
And when I say about the argentinians thing, is to provide an example and just to let it stated before anyone comes again and goes calling all of us the same, just like when people bombarded on AgavoArt's Tweet, call it precaution and being tired of this shit, because yeah everyone goes art thiefs are shit but then no one does anything and the issue will die in the nothingness, that's why I'm translating the issue, because we are powerless and can't bring this woman to justice
(1 Reply)
:iconstreled:
Streled Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2021   Traditional Artist
I hope Fatima Pecco Carou's life gets ruined and I especially hope she and those protecting her get punished
Streled Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2021   Traditional Artist
Oh, COME ON!
It's not even that good, nor so bad it's good
Instead of learning the basics of HOW to draw in anime style, she went the scummy way and traced over others arts and them as hers...
Reminds me of those off-model "how to draw manga"

I've seen better bootleg and shoddy stock anime arts than that!

Wait...
WHY does she keep shoving anime girls in those paintings?!
They look too out of place
Because she doesn't know anything about composition, anatomy, perspective, angle, shots, arrange, color theory, strokes, anything. Ex-Classmates of her, claimed that she abandoned classes and refused to learn by calling the teachers (independently of being male or female) sexist and for trying to control her freedom of artistic expression. Ex-classmates of her also warned each other because she had the bad habit of copying and stealing homeworks or projects. So yeah, this is something that is out of control.
Streled Featured By Owner Jul 27, 2021   Traditional Artist
@tompreston (Andrew Dobson) :
"Finally! A worthy opponent!"
:iconagent-sarah:
Agent-Sarah Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2021  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh, THAT shitty "artist" I heard a while ago. HOW did she got away with this despite her "art" is utter DOG SHIT?!
Because she is a feminist militant in favour of the current goverment, constantly promoting it and for a Museum that is in fact in favour too of the current goverment, no wonder Bauer, the Minister of Culture, has supported this despite of the constant complaints of the public, after all he got his position thanks to the actual president. It's all about a political agenda sadly, and by how constantly before the plagiarism was discovered, the plagiarist claimed that

"The combination of otakus and peronism is to innovate the story so younger audiences can pick an interest" basically trying to lure kids into peronism because in Argentina you can vote at the age of 16, basically, they are trying to adoctrinate children who are easier to influence than adults. And this has happened before, not the plagiarism but trying to use anime to promote political parties, a representative of the libertarian party went to an anime convention with a cosplay of an Original Character called "The God Emperor AntiCapitalist" so yeah we know Argentina is a joke, we even joke about it too
:iconagent-sarah:
Agent-Sarah Featured By Owner Jul 28, 2021  Hobbyist General Artist
Argentina, what the hell...
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2021
the joys of thieves getting their paws caught in the cookie jar and then claiming to be a victim and want sympathy.  hopefully these companies and people will go after her and file lawsuits and ruin her life.  be an artist, just don't plagiarize or steal it. 
:iconjphyper:
Jphyper Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2021
From what it sounds like, she has so many friends in high places that she's basically untouchable. Anyone trying to file a lawsuit would, at best, be laughed out of court.
yeah that's the problem with these privileged artists, they think they are untouchable. there's always that bored and/or courageous lawyer... even that fresh meat looking to make a name for themselves. or, in this day and time, it's all cool, no one cares and they give kudos to them standing up for being such a great artist, at least in the artist's mind. I wasn't impressed with their stuff. these days duck tape and a banana as well as a white canvas is worth a lot, people have lost taste in what real art is apparently...
:iconjphyper:
Jphyper Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2021
Fat lot of good that'll do when her friends hire several dozen of the best lawyers in their country and/or the judge throws the case out for no apparent reason.
case in point. glad there's something even more lethal. word of mouth. nothing can ruin someone's existence faster... or bring out the worst in thieves thinking they can get away with being a criminal as well. society, how far it has fallen...
Add a Comment: