Details

July 21
Link

Statistics

Replies: 27

How do you feel when looking back at some of your old art?

:iconrelighted:
Relighted Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2021  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Whenever I look back at some of the art I created a few years ago, usually I cringe. Mostly because so many things in them seem so blatantly wrong. Usually I wonder 'How did I ever think this was good enough? How was I not able to see all the mistakes I was making then?' But of course this is probably a good sign since it shows that I'm improving enough to see the mistakes I made in the past.

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconjacquirebriggs:
JacquIreBriggs Featured By Owner Edited 2 days ago  Student Traditional Artist
I just completely want to forget about it. But people kept slapping activity on my old stuff (Especially WarioWare. Stop). It’s making me mad. I want to take them all down.

If there are older ideas I like, then I'll remake them when I bother to digital.
:iconcarmics:
Carmics Featured By Owner 3 days ago
I do it often, because I love my drawings, especially the ones I have published, I really don't have as many as I would like but if changes are noticed, understand that the older your drawing is, the more defects you will find.
:iconorange-zeppelin:
Orange-Zeppelin Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Professional Traditional Artist
Usually when I look through old sketchbooks I just end up screaming in horror, but I'm damn proud of young-me for still getting so much done at that age. Even my comics which were hot steamy dog doody are impressive by the virtue that they even exist, I really wish I had kept my elementary school comics because I made a lot of them. There's some art I did in High School where I actually really like the concept or idea of the drawing, and wish I had that wild imagination that I did back then. Being bored in class was a benefit to me in that way.
But even looking at my college art I can see a huge difference in general quality and composition. 
:iconthe-dork-side:
The-Dork-Side Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Depends on how long it's been since I made it.

A few years = cringe.

10-15 years = proud of how much I've improved.

This is why it's important to keep your old art. No matter how tempted you are to throw it away or delete it.
:iconthe-nemian-lion:
The-Nemian-Lion Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Usually proud, looking back at how much I've grown. Both artistically and a person. Sometimes mortified though, if I have a few pieces of art that I'm genuinely mortified with.
:icondtkinetic:
DTKinetic Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I kind of cringe at these answers.

I cherish my old art. It reminds me of my childhood and teenage years, the different ways in which my passion and imagination worked, and brings up memories from those time periods. A time period that was generally happier and more carefree. Further, there are pieces that I'm proud to call my own and be a part of a collection of works that has become my gallery. Especially when a piece that at the time I found incredibly challenging or time-consuming is now finished, posted and a few years old already. =P
:icontangiwai:
Tangiwai Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Cringey.  Especially art that was done ages ago.  Ew.  I couldn't draw eyes or heads properly.  My animal art was better than now though, my people art was crap. 
:icongoldsickle:
Goldsickle Featured By Owner 6 days ago
I don't look back at my old art =)

And when I do, I might feel the urge to edit them with the knowledge I have today. 

Come to think of it, maybe it's time I fix my animated avatar... it's wonky. 
:iconredeemer000:
Redeemer000 Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
simple it looks like garbage back then and still remains garbage 
:iconnekomarunosuke:
Nekomarunosuke Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I feel the basement of  my old art and new art is the same and I keep on the same art style, and sometimes the old arts have the good things and I learn from my old arts.
:iconelcorzo2001:
ELCORZO2001 Featured By Owner Jul 24, 2021  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Very ashamed

because It wasn't so good
:iconarkvaeus:
ArkVaeus Featured By Owner Jul 24, 2021  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Old. Makes me feel ancient. Actually makes me feel good though because I think to myself “I’ve come so far”.
:iconnatcando:
NatCanDo Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2021  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I try not to cringe too much cause it's proof of how far we have come. 
:iconxinoizys:
XINOIZYS Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2021   Digital Artist
Confident.
My journey isn't over yet, but when I see my old art, I just admire them. How much I've improved since then, and how much I'll continue to improve.
It gives me confidence to know that I'll actually be able to achieve my goals one day. That I'll one day be fully satisfied with my art and to work on projects.
:iconairfixnikon:
AirfixNikon Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2021
I would be like "Whoa! When did I draw that? I don't remember doing that!"
:icondidj:
Didj Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I find my old artwork to be rather sloppy but expressive. I had this thing with a few of my old drawing where the positions of the eyes were super wonky, looking at those now a days makes me cringe.
:iconthebridgebeyond:
TheBridgeBeyond Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Hobbyist General Artist
It was a start point. It was a bit more dynamic than my art currently, but had more technical issues. I'm currently enjoying my current works, but trying to find ways to 'revive' the freeness of my older works.
:icontheblackhorned:
TheBlackHorned Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thant I have improved a lot, I don't feel ashamed about it.
Means my hard work is paying off. 
:iconlunaramon:
Lunaramon Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Student Digital Artist
I die a little on the inside and debate whether or not I should erase my entire account and start anew lol.

But it's also nice to compare the progress I've made so far :')
:icongpad:
GPAD Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021   Digital Artist
Way back in like 2017 I used to cringe but nowadays I just appreciate how far I've gotten. Some of them I liked for how ambitious they were at the time even if I definitely did not have the skill to pull off the composition
:iconbenahoarita:
Benahoarita Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021
I feel nostalgia, but also I see how bad the proportions and the colouring were xD.
:iconablurcherru:
ABlurCherru Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I feel the same way, it's kind of uplifting to know that I'm getting so much better during times where I feel like I'm terrible at drawing or that I'm not getting any better. I still feel like burning all of my old art because I'd be extremely embarrassed if someone saw them
:iconmidnightdj-sk:
MidnightDJ-SK Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2021  Student General Artist
*the song "In the end" starts blarring*

I TRIED SO HARD, AND GOT SO FAR-
:iconkarren-san:
Karren-san Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2021  Student General Artist
It depends on the specific case. I like some of kinda old drawings:
The Desolation of Ice by Karren-san   A wolrd made of sugar by Karren-san   Steampunk Kronos by Karren-san   Strange sunset by Karren-san  

But there are also some old drawings I dislike, quite a lot of them 
:iconshuqxx:
ShuQxx Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2021   General Artist
Sentimental or nostalgic. 

Definitely no negative feelings. 
:iconyangxiaofan457:
YangXiaoFan457 Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2021
Cringe. Especially with the fanfiction stuff where I made myself the main character lol. But most of us go through that phase as teenagers.
:iconcuestionador:
Cuestionador Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2021  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Ashamed, it was more edgy and less polished then. 
Add a Comment: