Details

June 10
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

I'm afraid to be boring...

:iconerikoon:
Erikoon Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
... but I always have the same characters in my mind. Should I force myself to draw something different or should stop being worried? I really don't know what's the right thing to do.
What do you think about this situation?

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconoperaghost:
operaghost Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Professional
As an artist you have always two options - appeal to yourself or appeal to an audience.  If you appeal to self only - you may feel inferior, but when you appeal only to the audience you may feel empty and shallow inside. Regardless  of the need to share, I think an artist 1st has to appeal to self and feel happy about creation process and only then and after worry about others.

Are your characters boring to you? If they bore you, then you need to find some other subject.  If you are worried about audience, then stop worrying unless arts is your day job.  When you just hobbyist and draw for  fun, then sop worrying and do whatever you like.   Also many artists draw very similar things - be it one fandom or even one character.  Admitted even most skilled artist becomes boring to watch, when their gallery is full of just one fan art gallery, but if its what they like then not my place to judge.

Forcing+ arts in same line feels kind of 'meh'.
:iconnekomarunosuke:
Nekomarunosuke Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think it's good to draw what you really want to, and drawing the same characters and repeating it isn't bad. many years ago I draw fewer original characters and I tend to draw the same character, on this character I've drawn over a hundred time but I enjoy drawing him and I want to draw him more.

Kuraresu Star Background 1 by Nekomarunosuke Kuraresu Green Breeze 1 by Nekomarunosuke Kuraresu Falling Down by Nekomarunosuke

and I feel it's not fun to draw what I don't want to, so to force to draw the different character is harsh way. I focus on enjoying the arts, the favorite characters and not difficult art style, it make me draw more and more arts and it give me the art improvement. now the original character is increased and my frequent character become not frequent.
:iconscottahemi:
ScottaHemi Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've drawn this guy dozens of times by now! he's one of my favorites. 
Dantech Cloths by ScottaHemi

you shouldn't worry about it ;) just draw what you want to draw! though try not to recycle the same pose multiple times in a row, keeps things fresh! while keeping things familiar :) 
Erikoon Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wow! Frozen Fever - Wow! Anna's Surprise Icon you're right! thanks a lot!!! :)
:iconfarorasf:
FaroraSF Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Having something constant that you draw over and over again can be a good way at practicing fundamentals. Maybe instead of drawing something different, draw the same thing but in a different way.

For example I noticed the work in your gallery doesn't have a lot of shading, why not use one of your favourite characters that you like to draw to practice that?
You are right! Basically, I am veeery slow at making art, so I mostly use flat colours to focus myself on quantity to stay more active here.
Anyway, I should study more and what you said could help me a lot!
:iconlumosido:
LuMosido Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have the similar fear of always staying in the same spot with my art when I keep drawing the same thing over and over (mainly my OC's)

If that's what you're looking for my advice is to keep drawing what you enjoy the most, but with every piece try to stretch your comfort zone a tiny bit: poses, angles, colors, line style etc. That way you can stay in your zone, but at the same time slowly gaining the experience in new things.
Yes, you totally got the point! thanks for your opinion and for your precious piece of advice, I have to train a lot on many art skills, so if I follow your words I will gladly study, at least!
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner 6 days ago
nothing wrong with dabbling, but if you feel comfortable in what you draw then don't be too stressed about it.  I have seen artists that focus only on one thing, pattern, etc and they all look good and unique in their own way.
I guess you're right, I should stop caring too much about what others may think
:iconkarren-san:
Karren-san Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Student General Artist
Stop being worried.  Drawing even only 1 character might also be interesting. Example:
Christmas Hotaru by Karren-san   That pose by Karren-san   Your future is 'Game over' by Karren-san   Hotaru - quick sketch by Karren-san   Cheerleader Hotaru (background version) by Karren-san  
Jellyfish by Karren-san   A dream of the jellyfish by Karren-san  
Well, the more you draw your character, the more you know about him 😊
:iconkarren-san:
Karren-san Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Student General Artist
Exactly
Add a Comment: