Details

January 13
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

I've been thinking about doing sketches for extra cheap

:icondqube:
dqube Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Is there a way to do that if your line art is not that good or it must look super professional for people to even look at it?

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconhackanvas:
Hackanvas Featured By Owner Edited 4 days ago   Digital Artist
I can pull that off :)

Faun by Hackanvas Elf Archer by Hackanvas Dark Warrior Elf by Hackanvas
dqube Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I love your work! Your line art looks professionally messy and it doesn't look out of place there is no comparison with my mess of an line art that's why i do paintingsSparklez Awkward
I made an attempt at making the lineart readable as the image says its a 15 minute sketch that was worked on  for 2 hours Big Fool Emoji-29 (I'm done) [V4] 
15 Minute Sketch In 2 Hours by dqube  
:iconpaulaedith:
PaulaEdith Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Professional Digital Artist
Try to economize movement. Less, more accuratte lines. Using vectors helps too. 
In any case, 15 minutes is too low, I can't make a lot in that time either xD
:iconpaulaedith:
PaulaEdith Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Professional Digital Artist
Last year I did a poll asking if people here is interested in sketch commisions and the answer was no.
Sketch MariaTocaLaGuitarra by PaulaEdith

dqube Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I see, so it has to look professional and it can't be a sketch. I guess i'm screwed.
:icontalentlessfiend:
talentlessfiend Featured By Owner 5 days ago
Kinda difficult to gauge without knowing what your sketch process is. Only clear example I could find is

The Weird Sketching Process... by dqube

Linework will need to be more confident and succinct. There's also the content of what to sketch.
Here is a sketch i made i am thinking of sketches around 5 dollars.
Manga Sketch
talentlessfiend Featured By Owner 4 days ago
Hm.., I think if you added maybe a light gray tone with texture for a bit of depth and stylization, it may be sellable.
20210114dqubecolorattempt by talentlessfiend
I tried doing the half tone look, but i couldn't figure out the settings for a small canvass.
talentlessfiend Featured By Owner 4 days ago
What program are you using? I just used https://www.getpaint.net for the example.
dqube Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Are they still making new versions for paint . net i forgot about it.
I use medibang paint, i figured out a way to make paintings without a tablet XD.
:icontangiwai:
Tangiwai Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
You could try sketch concepts.  I mean it'd be expected for the art to be tidyish but still rough. 
What are sketch concepts can you give me examples?
Tangiwai Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Like sketches are rough right? Why not offer as a commission doing character concepts or item concepts? Like say you're willing to rough out an idea as a sketch from a description or something similar. But it's not a complete drawing, not fully finished or something like that. Just a rough example or say a clean plain greyscale sketch.
Some artists I've seen offer sketch commissions. They're either pencil sketches or plain greyscale lineart, not especially clean but might be a rough headshot or even a halfbody. No colour, somewhat steady lines but nothing like a fully finished piece would be.
You could even spin it as a willingness to craft a simple face or look for a character that can be used as 'filler' art until the client has a more finished idea of what their OC might look like. Maybe they just need an idea at first to use as an example for future commissions. It's an unusual angle, but some artists do sketch comms that are more or less plain uncoloured versions of their other artwork. Not especially clean or expected to be polished. But close enough.
I have thought about something similar in the past, i even tried to make it seem fun by calling it "the idea generator". My idea was to do a rough w.i.p with color to serve as inspiration or something along the lines.
Tangiwai Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
That is a good idea. Depends on how it's spun I suppose. Maybe have a short description, then a base sketch that's rough, then a slightly refined one, and maybe do like a pallet thing? Say a trio of colours complementary or contrasting that can be added to the sketch. Rough of course as nothings refined, but I do like the concept of an idea generator.
Not sure how to visualise it though on a comm sheet except maybe as step by step examples.
It could work. Most definitely.
I could also see it as an addon to a full commission, or even as an 'intro' option in an artist's other comms. Like a lead-in for advertising. Like 'I do sketch concepts, but also full colour, full body illustrations' etc.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Even really good artist would have a hard time selling art here. 

If you feel you want to improve even more because you want to make your art good enough to sell, then that is a good way to think. Always become better, and that wish will come true some day. Not improve and nothing will happen. 

Most artist don't get support to keep going, so they need to support themselves, with reasons to keep going, feel better, because they improved.

If you have not tried a feature called Stroke in Photoshop or Krita, then you should. You just select a shape and use it on a new layer. This will make it easier to make great lines. You can also use the Shift key. You can start with a dot to set a starting point and before you make any more dots to draw dot to dot, hold down the Shift key. To make a vertical or horizontal, hold the shift key down while you drag a direction. This will lock the brush into a straight line until you let go of the Shift key.

If you do this for a rough line, you can use that rough line as a guide. Then start a new layer and zoom in close to let the pixels keep you steady and draw the better line over the guide line.

Improving is easier when the canvas is small, because there is a grid for pixels that makes everything easier to draw anything.
Thank you for the tips i already use a stabilizer and the shift key for straight lines, i usually draw and paint on a canvass that is around 1k.
achipps Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My first digital art was huge. I painted my hand in details that included finger prints, and red and blue veins in the palm of my hand. It was too large to upload, so I made it smaller, and saved it. Later I remembered what I did, and knew I save over the full detailed image. A lot of work was lost for a lower grade image.
I thought I would get more practice in because when you paint very small like icons and thumbnails you still get the same experience as a large image, but in less time. After I started doing as much details as I could fit in a 50x50 canvas I had to make sure it looked very detailed. When it wasn't, you could not guess what it was. After a while I did al I could with 50x50 and started using 100x100. This gave me more I could add into a scene, and not need to do one thing. It helped me be more creative to imagine what I could do in that space, and if I didn't really know any details, it was easier because it didn't have the pixels to do any details.
One of the small images I did on a small canvas, I added to a media player theme called Music Match.
Arabian
The little scene inside that window is not as detailed as I learned to do, so it was when I was first doing a lot of small images. Later I ran out of ideas, because I did more than 6 a day.
I thought of a story board, because that could give me more images I could draw. I just imagine a story and tell it with pictures. I imagined a forest with trees around a road and a horse drawn coach with a lot of decoration like for a vampire. It was kind of fun to draw and tell a story, but the faster I came up with the next image, the lest time I spent on details. I also became faster from that.
The better I was getting at drawing scenes with less details the faster I was getting, and I wanted to keep working on it for the same amount of time, so it became more detailed.
I thought this was something all digital artist should try for a start, so they learn to work with the pixels to get a better look and more details on a small canvas.
Using a huge canvas could have a lot of details, but with less time you want to spend on it, you might get the quality you want and that is enough. It can take longer that way, because some areas can have more details than other areas. Then you make is smaller to look good, and that is a loss of time you put into it. Starting small and doing as much details as you can, makes the art have better details, and it is done faster because you have less pixels to work with.
You make some pixels look better and look at it at 100% to see how it looks, then add more details to areas you didn't like. When you see you have nothing left to improve, you have great art in less time. When people see it online, they see it at 100% or it will be reduced to see it all in a small space. Then what people see is actually a down graded version that don't explain the time you put into it.
Then there are nice pixel effects that looks great as long as you see the full size.
There are times when i tried to fit more details in an image and i learned that you can't make a face with 25-50 pixels and expect it to look good the lowest pixel count for a well readable face is 71x90 pixels anything below is hell to manage. You lose detail and you don't have enough space for details. If you cant make a circle with the pixels it stops looking good.
achipps Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
A lot of effects I create like rope, cable, stones, bricks, or tiny copper pipe are part of designs you can create with a very few pixels.
Your art reminded me of getting my mind off of the details and start getting better at everything else, because the details is a very small difference, and it don't look good when everything else is wrong.
Working with the pixels a little adds quality. The details and patterns to create a unique look can help make your art look better. You would use less time using less pixels, and you can make icons and avatars to improve quality. It is not as important as everything else. It is more like touch up work. Then you would be doing smaller art for a cheap price.
It will not take a lot of time for the cheap price. Just make up samples to show, and maybe people might find them useful. At the same time, it might help your art.
Yeah effects usually use allot less pixels to look good. Thank's for the advice!
Add a Comment: