December 2, 2020
Link

Statistics

Replies: -1

Monthly Digital Art Critique Thread [December]

:iconlovelessdevotions:
lovelessdevotions Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2020
Monthly Digital Art Critique Thread for the month of December, 2020

Bullet; Black This thread is for critique requests for Digital Art deviations only.

Bullet; Black A recommendation: share your deviation in a thumbnail format (you don't need a Premium Membership to do that in this forum)
FAQ #511: How do I post thumbnails of my art on the Chat Network or Forums?

Also, it helps if you state exactly what you need feedback about! (i.e. composition, anatomy, color use, etc.)

Bullet; Black Not getting any feedback? Remember to give some and you will most likely get some in return!

Devious Comments

:iconmojitoj:
mojitoJ Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2020
Hello everyone,

I would like to get some feedback on the digital drawing below.
In general I want to get better. Something is missing.
Are more textures or details needed? Is the lightning ok?
My intention is to have a realistic appearance. No comic stile.

V14 by mojitoJ  

thank you guys in advance.

:icontherandomgirlxd:
TheRandomGirlXD Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2020  Student General Artist
Anyone have any critiques on how I can make the lightning in the background look more like actual lightning? I'm using Photoshop by the way:  War Of The Birds (Fuglekrigen i Kanofleskoven) by TheRandomGirlXD  
:icontajeearts:
TajeeArts Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2020
Hello! I would like to get help about a particular problem i am having with my recent pieces. I think i am getting better at coloring, but my artworks kinda lack... life? I am not sure how to explaint it, but they all seem plastic to me. Lifeless and artificial. I am trying different face expressions and compositions, but it does not help. I would be glad for any feedback on this point or any other too. Thank you!

Saeran x MC (AE version) by TajeeArts    Spirit Blossom Thresh by TajeeArts  
:iconhina-mari:
Hina-Mari Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2020  Student Digital Artist
Hello! :) Firstly thanks for the advices you gave me, I really apreciate them! :) Well, before anything, I would like to say I really like the choice of colors you've made here. They're really vivid and works well together :) Now talking about the things you said, I think I understand what you mean. The painting of the two pieces are a little "rigid" to me. Well, your draws are reaally good, and maybe thats something that trapped you into them. I think your painting process could really make use of a more free painting process with a little less drawing. Some exercises in those ways could make you see the  colors as a tool that construct shapes and forms as well as the lines of the drawing. You could take some classical pieces as reference of this kind of process. Some impressionists pieces would be really interesting of analyze in this sense, cause they pretty lack at the lines but the forms come in such a free way.

Another thing I've noticed is that you construct the drawings focusing at the caracters, and dont give to the background the same level of attention. This could make sometimes the characters a little "apart" of the background and takes out some life of the composition, making them a little artificial. You've said that you don't expertise sceneries and stuff, but I think you could really use more the sceneries and it would really improve your compositions. 

Finally, Some values studies could be useful to your painting. Cause the way the light and the shadows appear on them is not really clear. Thinking about the source of the lights would be good in the time you do the shadows, and searching for the deepful darks and the medium darks could give more contrast to the paintings. If you keep everything in the midtone, you can't construct enough contrast.

Anyway, I really think you have a great technique and hope you improve all the aspects you're searching :) And hope my gigantic comment help you in some way. See ya! :)
TajeeArts Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2020
Whoa, thank you so much for such a long critique!
You are probably right about the colors and painting. I usually have sooo many layers and every single shade of shadow is on different layer with different opacity and effect... i think i will try more painting-ish (??) methods. I love styles without lines, but it is so difficult for me to do that. I gotta practise more.
Well, that about backgrounds is true for sure. I highlight the characters because they are the best part of my drawings. The background is always bad, so i just... try to cover it. Maybe i could have the characters interact with background or something.
I do not know much about values, i will look it up for sure!
Thank you very much for you opinion! It really did help me for sure! See you!
:iconhina-mari:
Hina-Mari Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2020  Student Digital Artist
Trying some cityscapes and urban scenery :) Would like any sorta of advice would be useful to improve (^_^)

This one is my last work
Urban Rain 1 by Hina-Mari
TajeeArts Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2020
Hello! I really like this artwork :O I have to admit sceneries are not my are of expertise, but when i looked at it, i noticed the lineart to be weirdly polished, looking amlost like a regular pen. In contrast with a messy colloring, it just did not work together to me. I think it kinda has lineart like a drawing and coloring like a painting. Maybe using a textured brush would help?

I really like the colors and how you did the effect on water on the streets. It looks really cool, good job with that!
:iconmetalk9:
MetalK9 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Btw, eggman. Get a load of...this!!! by MetalK9

I'm wondering how did I do with composition and flow... 

If anyone can help me with this I'd appreciate it.
:iconzeochan:
zeochan Featured By Owner Edited Dec 8, 2020
3rd landscape WIP by zeochan     E47a8f3b95349de1b31b52ea5a06f49c by zeochan

Working on a background piece, can't figure out what's wrong -- from my perspective I feel the line weight and figure are a little too flat for my liking (lack of details and colour aren't there either but focusing on that once the lineart is fixed up.) I'm actually making a reference to this painting here, so that's why she might seem a little 'boring' just standing there idly despite that. 

I'm also trying to connect this piece with my previous background piece here:

REALiTi FINAL by zeochan

Edit:

I put in some colour to help me highlight problem areas and I think it may be the hair, face and hands.
:icongwydionx:
gwydionx Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2020  Hobbyist
Looking for feedback on line art, and what I can do to improve / make things more dynamic. Any feedback welcome. :)

Candy by gwydionx   Goblin by gwydionx A Boy and His Dragon by gwydionx

:iconlalaspeculiarities:
LalasPeculiarities Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hello! I really like your artworks! Concerning your question here are some ways to create more dynamic and interesting linearts (try them out and see what you like best)

-carefully connect the lines (in your first drawing there are some interruptions, but well done in the last one), personally i would like the second drawing better if the legs were somehow delimited (by lines or by the edge of the canvas)
-it looks like you draw with a tablet and pen pressure. use the pen pressure to make more dynamic lines (thicker and thinner), it can look very nice!
-colour the lines: a dark brown can even make a difference or if youre experimenting with colours blue and pink and such can look crazy! (if you use photoshop or Sai or something similar, lock the layer so you can go with an airbrush over a finished lineart to make some parts darker or brighter than others)
-experiment with thickness for example: i sometimes like to make all the outer lines thicker than inner lines to make it more stylistic
for exapmple in this one i made some time ago (totally other style than yours but you get it):
Cartoonguy1 by LalasPeculiarities  
-shade with lines(stripes or crosses) if that suits your style
-make one side of the lines darker to excentuate the shadows

I hope you can understand my english. Have fun with experimenting and keep going, love your art! 
gwydionx Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2020  Hobbyist
Thank you! Getting used to the tablet pressure system has been difficult. I'll keep working on it, and experiment with the thicker lines, too :)
:icontianasama:
TianaSama Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2020  Student General Artist
I will give back any comments :)
HitsuHina : Danny Phantom x BLEACH by TianaSama   Maribel : Succubus by TianaSama  
:iconbeepbeepimmadragon8:
BeepBeepImmaDragon8 Featured By Owner Edited Dec 4, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Eito Bandori OC by BeepBeepImmaDragon8   Daiki Bandori OC by BeepBeepImmaDragon8  
gwydionx Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2020  Hobbyist
The biggest thing I'd note for improvement is practicing shapes. The poses are great and make sense, and proportionally things look good, but they still feel a little flat because there isn't a lot of creasing/overlap the way there would be in 3D space. Advice for that I've gotten is to spend time drawing cylinders and other simple 3D shapes for practice, then keep that in mind when drawing more complex things like anatomy and clothing folds. The way you did Eito's hand is a great example of the way using overlaps can help create that illusion of 3D space. (This can help with facial features too - thinking about how the brows would overlap the eyes, or how the nose would be tilted in Daiki's pose, for instance.)

Varying line weight can also help create dimension, so more shadowed areas have thicker lines.

The backgrounds are cool but drown out the characters a little - matching the background colors more to the characters colors (complementary or in the same color family) could help tie the piece together and highlight the character in the center.

I'm still getting practice on all this myself, so please take the critique with a grain of salt. Hopefully some of it is helpful, though.
:iconbewwywafflez:
Bewwywafflez Featured By Owner Edited Dec 3, 2020  Student Digital Artist
Heya! I’m Bewwywafflez. Im a 16 yr old sonic fan artist who draws LOTS of Sonic fan art. So what I would like to do is get feedback on one of my many pieces to see what I can improve on. I specifically want feedback on my anatomy and color use.

images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca8877…

Tell me what you think, thank you.
:iconbeepbeepimmadragon8:
BeepBeepImmaDragon8 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wow the character's really good! I really like her hair and shade of lavender 

One recommendation is lightening her irises and maybe making them a cool pinkish red since it'd really make everything pop  Eye Example by BeepBeepImmaDragon8   I mean a shade of reddish pink like this

I'd also slightly lighten the highlights 
:iconbewwywafflez:
Bewwywafflez Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2020  Student Digital Artist
Ok thanks! ^^
Add a Comment: