Closed to new replies
December 1, 2020
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

Do you use thumbnails when you draw?

:iconhbeats:
HBeats Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
One thing that upped my art game was drawing with thumbnails.

Instead of struggling with a single sketch, you save time by drawing smaller, looser thumbnails. Definitely recommend learning it!

If you haven't heard of the technique yet, I made an art tutorial about it:

Other SFW resources:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbullmander:
BullMander Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2020
I kind of do that. I just tend to scribble and see what happens. I've tried planning ahead but actually coming up with a piece that I wanted to make is rare.
:iconmechanicalvalkyrie:
mechanicalvalkyrie Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2020
Sometimes. If I already have a very clear idea of what I want to draw I don't thumbnail, but if my idea is rather vague I do thumbnail as some kind of idea finding process.
:iconzirkon777:
Zirkon777 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
I often start sketching on a smaller canvas. I scale it up to the finale canvas size.
:iconriger44:
Riger44 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2020  Student General Artist
Sometimes.
:iconkarren-san:
Karren-san Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2020  Student General Artist
I rarely do that. I usually only imagine what something should look like, then I make a sketch, then I turn the sketch into a colored drawing with cleaner lineart 
:iconfrailline:
Frailline Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Definitely! Although I don't do it always (for example when doodling just whatever and building the piece brick by brick), drawing thumbnails helps a whole lot with planning and brainstorming.
:iconscottahemi:
ScottaHemi Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
sometimes, i usually start with crude doodles, if i like it i'll keep going, if i don't i'll draw a different one. 
:iconrasherusuzie:
RasheruSuzie Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Only sometimes if I'm working on something tricky. If I have a pretty good idea of what I want in my head when I start then I'll often skip thumbnail out of laziness p:
:iconcicakkia:
cicakkia Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Definitely one of the finest advice. Yea, I doing thumbnail too even on my sketchbook. I have friend struggle drawing on sketchbook because he like doing on big canvas. Not saying drawing big canvas is bad, it's just if they don't know step by step, they just overwhelmed themselves by too many things to do.
:iconelizabethkth:
elizabethkth Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I use thumbnails for my bigger pieces (such as something that has full background, or storytelling aspect to it..). The thumbnails are usually very rough, messy, and tiny though.

But if I just want to draw characters, then I usually don't use thumbnails.
:iconrosalinassoulmate:
RosalinasSoulmate Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2020  Student Filmographer
Sometimes. Most of my published art is based on sketches I've drawn in my sketchbook. But sometimes, I make a small, quick doodle to get the idea across to myself. I did that most recently with an upcoming drawing, and it helped a bit.
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2020
To an extent, yes.
:iconxr4p1d:
Xr4p1d Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah i do that too
:iconevodolka:
Evodolka Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
you mean like little doodles?
like a mini doodle of a pose or creature design so you have a vague idea of what to do when doing the big picture?
if so then yes i totally do that :D 
Yeah those ones :D That's great
:iconevodolka:
Evodolka Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
then like i said, yes, i do those a bunch, super helpful, even if mine are shitty little doodles the size of my thumb and with little to no detail on them :D
:iconnoorpol:
NOORPOL Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I never plan ahead. I make one single finale sketch and colour that shit in. Add some shading to it and it's done... I've never been good at planning things out. I'm better at improvising. 
I know a lot of people benefit from using thumbnails though. So definitely not a bad idea. 
If it works for you! Whenever I improvise it usually leads to less than satisfactory work haha 😢
Add a Comment: