Details

November 29, 2020
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

How long do digital tablet pen nib last?

:iconsatanvais:
SatanVais Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2020  New Deviant
I was wondering for an average how long do these nibs last? 

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconthebridgebeyond:
TheBridgeBeyond Featured By Owner Edited Dec 25, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I have that little black and white wacom tablet you can get off amazon, for perhaps three years now. I haven't had to change the nib whatsoever--but then again I never actually check the thing frequently. It's not a stump yet, but it does have a slanted tilt to it from me having a favorite side I guess. I use my tablet pretty frequently. 

Are the people that wear down nibs so quickly the same people who break traditional pencil points pressing down on the paper??? My little $62, 3 year old wacom has been pretty solid. 
:iconbolsterstone:
bolsterstone Featured By Owner Edited Dec 24, 2020   General Artist
They vary of course depending on how much you use them, the surface of your tablet and the material that the nibs are made of. 

Most nibs are made from nylon which can usually take anywhere from one year to two years worth of hard core use and abuse - unless you are talking about the nib of a capacitive stylus which could in theory outlast the switches that underlie the nib. 

If desperate for nylon replacements, and can't find a supplier of the nibs that you use, then if worse comes to worse, then a known hack is to use fishing line (just make sure it is a soft plastic and fine sand the surface of the nib before using it on your tablet).
:iconextraterrestrialarts:
extraterrestrialarts Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2020  Professional General Artist
My Cintiq nibs lasting longer than my Bamboo ones. Cintiq I haven't the need to replace it yet. Got Cintiq in 2015 I think
:iconpixelationgirl:
PixelationGirl Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've had only replaced one nib and it was a Genius brand, it lasted like 4 years but then I got a couple of different wacom ones and never needed to replace any of them, I don't think I press that hard, I tend to paint lightly.
:iconjazzi-crystol:
Jazzi-Crystol Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
long as you make them i always say :>

it depends on the amount of friction and rub your pen has against the surface of the tablet. the mroe grittier the tablet surface, the more likely it is to get warn down.
ALSO how hard you press on it. I do not press hard when i draw, barely hold the pen in my hands in fact, and have all of my pressure settings very high. so often, my nibs do not get much, if any damage.

I've had a wacom bamboo for 8 years and it's nib is still working, kind of worn along with the tablet itself, but still working.

On the other hand, i've had a huion kamvas 20 for over 2 years, and there's not an ounce of wear on the pen. the screen is smooth with very little friction.

of course, most tablet companies also give you plenty of extra nibs, so it's usually not much to worry on. I actually have an entire box that was never used from my last pen set XD
:iconbobbelebien:
Bobbelebien Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2020  Student Filmographer
I've had 2 tablets, both from wacom, which have lasted me for about 7 years each so far.
I've never actually replaced my nibs :lol: 

(yes with regular use)

It's a hard plastic one though so there is that to consider. After those 7 years the first tablets nib was getting worn to a problematicly short state and for my second one it's currently flat but still all around fine to use. 
7 years seems to be about the amount of time they last for me.
:iconmetalk9:
MetalK9 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Depends on the tip itself. The grainer is it, the shorter the life it has. Wacom regular black tips do last months, the felt nib (my favorite) does make your Wacom feel like drawing on actual paper, but they last no more than week at best. 
:iconmahoushoujoicestar:
MahouShoujoIceStar Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2020
 For most, probably 6-12 months on average. However, I got 50 free nibs from a promotion earlier, so I don't have to worry about it for a long time.
:iconoperaghost:
operaghost Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2020  Professional
I still have my 1st one ...  from 2016. It depends how you use your pen and strength of grip. I have needed to pull it out a few times. But not replace it. I have box of nibs that came with pen, but they all still there safe and sound.
:iconjade-everstone:
Jade-Everstone Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2020  Student General Artist
I've only had to change my nib once with my old tablet (wacom intuos pen & touch). i think it lasted 4 years.
current one (xp pen artist 12) is 2 years old  and uh... can also see it lasting 4 years before changing it.
sidenote I'm pretty heavy-handed when I draw so I have no idea how my nibs last this long
:iconpaulaedith:
PaulaEdith Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
I just changed my XP-Pen nib for first time, after 2 years of use.
:iconstrazi:
strazi Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
been using same nib for 4 years hes been thru a lot
:icontsumuro:
Tsumuro Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've been using the same nib for 7 years now.
:iconzirkon777:
Zirkon777 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
I am still working on an old wacom intuos3 (for 13years!!) and i had to change the nib ever 2-3 years. But i had to change (buy) the surface of the tablet almost every year untill i started to tape some paper on top :)
:iconshothegifted:
ShoTheGifted Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2020  Professional Filmographer
😂😂😂😂Forever I have never changed mine. I have had it for 2 years now... I think nib issues come down to if you are heavy handed or not. Or I’m a lucky bastardized and don’t know it... 🤷🏾‍♂️💯
:iconnoorpol:
NOORPOL Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have an old Wacom. Had it for six years now, I think, never changed the nib. I don't know about the average nib. I know some wear down very quickly because they were designed for a lighter hand.  
:iconquestionball:
Questionball Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2020  Student General Artist
If you have problems with your nibs wearing out try to change your settings so you can press more lightly and still make big lines, I have a wacom at the moment, I don't know what tablet you have, If it's also wacom then I can help you with changing your settings.
SatanVais Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2020  New Deviant
thank you for the help but i have a huion so ill have to look for it on my own
:icontangiwai:
Tangiwai Featured By Owner Edited Nov 30, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Depends on the tablet.  Rough surface like a wacom - anything from a few hours to a couple days.  A tablet with a screen protector.  Literally forever or at least a few years.  I've had my tablet, an old wacom bought new for five years.  I have 4 nibs, one in the pen with three spare.  I have changed the nib once in all that time with regular use.

Still on the same changed nib for what?  Two to three years now, but I use a screen protector for mine and when not in use.  My tablet sits inside a thick padded cover used for tablets/laptops.  So even the screencover surface never gets scratched except by my pen. 
:iconkarren-san:
Karren-san Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2020  Student General Artist
Only few days? My pen nib lasted for few years when used on Wacom Intuos Pen&Touch. Without screen protectors 
Tangiwai Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Yup, after they changed the surface to have the roughness of paper BEFORE the new versions came out. I'm talking the old ones like 2013 era tablets that aren't produced anymore. Mine's one of those. A lot of folks over the years have reported increased nib wear after that change.
I think the newer versions of the tablets are rough too. Not sure but anything bought in the last 4 years likely is the newer version of the wacom tablets.
:iconnoorpol:
NOORPOL Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have two Wacom tablets. One from 2010 I think and the other from 2014. Never changed the nib on either of those two. Never heard of anyone needing to change theirs as often as you mention. 
Tangiwai Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I have, but it was a few years ago now when I read about issue on DA and online. It was one of the reasons why I was leery about getting a wacom tablet. I spent a few days to weeks googling the issue and read about it. But it was unclear how long a pen nibs lasts in relation to surface roughness, hours of use daily and weekly, along with the 'heavy-handedness' of said artist when using the pen pressure feature. All I know is that the wacom pros and intuos got rougher, and pen nibs by various folks were reported as having increased wear. Some yes from a few months, to weeks to days. Hours might be pushing it unless they were grating it across the surface of the tablet with regularity. If your's lasted ages, that likely means you have a 'lighter' touch than I do. I tend to scratch like a baboon swiping a stick in the dirt, so I use a screen protector. It's covered in scratches like knife knicks, so it's saved by tablet and nibs. Or I'd be replacing them way more often, maybe every few weeks instead of months. I haven't checked the issue for newer tablets though and my googling was like around 2010/2012, since I bought mine in 2013. So it's fairly old now. I have no idea if Wacom has improved their nibs since then as I haven't yet replaced mine.
Tangiwai Featured By Owner Edited Dec 3, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Also it wasn't clear from anything I found that I think about now on what kind of nibs were showing the 'increased wear'.  So I'm not sure if that was using standard nibs or things like the felt, stroke etc.

After further reading, might be increased nib wear on brand new tablets where the surface is very rough until it's worn down over time.  Don't know how true that is.  I wouldn't want to try either.  I can't 'buy' nibs as readily as most can as I don't purchase online.  And where I live nibs can't be bought instore, thus the screen protector too.
Karren-san Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2020  Student General Artist
I got my Intuos in 2015, no issues with too fast nib wear. Currenty I have a Cintiq 16, still no such an issue as far as I noticed
Tangiwai Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
That's excellent news.  Thanks for sharing it's reassuring to know that the nibs are lasting longer than a couple days.  I've been worried about upgrading my old wacom to a newer version.  I almost did at the end of last year, before this year's craziness came out.  I haven't yet, but I'll keep an eye out on the nib wear.

If it's not as big an issue this time around.

I'd consider getting a newer wacom, hopefully a pro if the price comes down again.
Karren-san Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2020  Student General Artist
I can recommend you a Cintiq 16, I like this
Tangiwai Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm glad Wacom started producing one more affordable, the size is good too. I prefer that size ratio over the smaller intuos or pro editions. Which means the active area on the Cintiq 16 inch should be fairly good too.
How is it to use though?
Easy?
I've only ever had a non-screen tablet. But the screened ones are something I'd definitely look into in the future too.
Karren-san Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2020  Student General Artist
For me it's much more comfortable than a non-screen tablet. Very easy to use, at least for me
:icongabloo:
gabloo Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2020  New Deviant Professional Digital Artist
really it ranges between days and years depending on the usage and other factors.

The tablet surface also plays an important role in this game, as some are ruff by default while others are more flat thus accumulating scratches over time.

Generally speaking, the more friction you feel while drawing the sooner you´ll have to change the nib.
:iconfrailline:
Frailline Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Mostly depends on how hard you tend to press your stylus. I've heard some can wear them out in 2 months with heavy use, I tend to press mine semi-lightly and haven't really needed to change the nibs in a couple of years
:iconshuqxx:
ShuQxx Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2020   General Artist
Years. I think for my intuos (which I had for about 10years), I only had to change the nib once. 

If you want it to last longer, change your tablet settings so that it's more sensitive to pressure (i.e. so that you don't have to press so hard for pressure to be detected). 
:iconxr4p1d:
Xr4p1d Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
Mine last 6 month each
SatanVais Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2020  New Deviant
oh wow :0 Do u think having a different tablet and pen may also cause any differnce in how long a nib can last?
:iconxr4p1d:
Xr4p1d Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
of course
try using the most expensive brand/model and i'm 99% sure they'll last your life time
Add a Comment: