Details

Closed to new replies
November 28, 2020
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

I guess i have nothing better to do i'll let you roast my art at least i will learn why people...

:icondqube:
dqube Featured By Owner Edited Nov 28, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
don't commission me often do i have to cast magic with my description text for the service forum?

Does it have to be specifically cartoony and specifically realistic with no inbetweens? I haven't felt this invalidated even back in school. I can't make folks buy my sketch coloring service for 6$ for fucks sake do they look at how high quality my art is this is bonkers.Excuse my cursing i'm just angry.

Anyway roast away.(any drawing or painting from featured)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkosmikfralik:
KosmikFralik Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2020
Well, you asked for it.

I'm not going to roast your art because that's not the real problem. There is, however, something very wrong with the way you're trying to sell your services.

I wasn't even aware you were taking commissions until I scrolled to the very bottom of your page, and even then I didn't (and still don't) know exactly what you're offering to do, what your prices are, or why I should choose you over anyone else. Your actual commissions information page is buried in your journal entries, surrounded by largely pointless status updates and journal entries in which you complain about your boss, your work, your country, talk about pewdiepie and post youtube videos of meme reviews and viral videos. You also consistently fail to capitalize 'I' in your writing and often slip into bad English in general. Spelling errors, poor grammar, and bizarre syntax litter your posts and journals. All of this adds up to make you utterly unpalatable to people looking to spend money. You even offer to do paintings in a journal entry where you moan about your boss talking 'bullshit,' which is not useful for finding employment from a potential client. Your client, for all all extents and purposes, will be your boss for the duration of the commission. Seeing you bad mouth past employers and complain about life does nothing for you. It makes you unapproachable because it sends the signal that you have a petty attitude -- absolutely no one wants to work with petty people. In one of your journals, you even go so far as to complain about your nation's corrupt government financially assisting 'old people' and then you beg for someone to send you a dollar.

Including "coloring art for 5 dollars" in your tagline isn't an effective advertisement, either, because it doesn't specify what you do in detail and taglines are usually meant to be funny or sarcastic. Furthermore, your page is terribly organized. You place your art below your favorites collection, which you've placed below your group status. There's a reason most profile pages are designed to advertise the user's *art* first.

For starters,  Commission Sheet by dqube  should be one of the first things users see when they visit your page. Put it in the front of your gallery, or in a spotlight. Get rid of unnecessary clutter in your journal entries and status updates. Refine your English and make it clear what kind of work you're offering to do in *detail.* You need a page where you show all of the styles of art you're offering, elaborate in detail about pricing, talk about what you'll offer to the client in terms of how long it will take, how easy it will be to work with you, etc.

You've got to learn how to build a brand to get visibility, man. I think your art isn't bad, it's just that it's unclear what your specialty is and what you're offering. Furthermore, you don't seem to be posting to groups very often, and you aren't advertising your commissions through those groups as far as I can tell, either. You also aren't tagging very thoroughly or effectively. Your problem isn't your art. It's your marketing that's terrible.

dqube Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well the status updates are just that i will delete every single one of them i guess telling foreigners about your terrible living conditions wont make them believe you. Combined with old memes and youtube videos i posted on old DA (these are old).
About the page layout i changed it to promote other people because i made a thumbshare forum thread.
I have seen people use the tag for commission offers i guess it doesn't work. Figuring out tags is not really the issue, i had a post with 10 tags and i still got 10-15 views i know that i can't use tags that are not related to the subject matter because it has no effect.
I don't understand what is not clear when i say that I offer to color artworks both black and white and lineart, it takes me a day and that the payment is with paypal.
Or when i say that i offer to do character art or landscape art.In the service forum.
:iconcanuckuma:
Canuckuma Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
I feel like all of Kosmik’s advice was fine - take it with a grain of salt, it came from a good place. I think most people’s problem with netting steady commissions boils down to marketing, language, attitude, and communication.
:iconnoorpol:
NOORPOL Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm not here to roast you. Just to give some feedback. 

First off though. Art skills aren't enough if you want to sell. You're promoting your art on a site with mostly just artists in an ocean of other artworks. You need to know how to get it out there and how to sell yourself. What are you currently doing to get noticed and letting people know you're selling? Are you only using this site or are you actively trying to get commissions from other sites as well?
You can have the best product for the lowest price but no one will buy it if no one knows about it. 

About your art. Overall I think your art is very fine. You're experimenting with some different styles and such. The main issue I see with it is your shading. It's either very blurry or very "chunky". I think you should try experimenting more with mixing hard and soft shadows. The colours, especially on the skin, tend to look a bit muddy and dirty. Try some different hues with different saturation perhaps. 
You have some very interesting character designs. You are able to show off their personality through your paintings. They are a little stiff looking though and I think it would do you good to practice some figure drawing to get some more lively poses. 
But as mentioned. All in all I think it's very fine and I think your issue with not getting commissions is more about your advertisement than it is about your art. 
dqube Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah how do i advertise properly because I did try every site i could think of.
:iconnoorpol:
NOORPOL Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh shit! You're asking someone who doesn't take commissions ^^; 

I've seen a lot of artists on Twitter add "Commission open" to their name to let people know. Many of them posts several times a day about what they're selling or what they'll be adding to their shop soon. They post their links in their tweets and so on. Have a pinned tweet with their info and such. 

I just scrolled through your profile and from that I saw no information about you taking commissions. Put it in the "about" section. That's the first place someone will look. Add a custom box about it too and add your commission sheet with your prices to make it easy for the buyer to see what you're selling. Post in the job offers and job services forums.
That's how I would go about it, I think. 
:iconantarasol:
Antarasol Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I see many portraits with sorta pillow shading. Might be just your style ... but you could try to add more facial detail and more dramatic light effect. The soft pillow shading soon looks boring after 2 or 3 portraits in that style.

Many of the images look like having been smoothed, or were created with a very smooth style. I miss clear contures, striking highlights, strong shadows. Again, it's a sort of style, but you asked what others might not like ...

The portraits are kinda boring for me. But I like these scenes.

fire place by dqube Flower Windmills by dqube   Plant Maze by dqube

They have a touch of mystery. Something exotic.
dqube Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I went full on painting on these 3 is there a way to make this type of art for commissions no one answered the question. And how do i go about it.
:iconantarasol:
Antarasol Featured By Owner Edited Nov 28, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I've never sold any art myselves, so I can't help there. People seem to pay a lot, but only for very specific things, and those don't seem to be particular skills of mine.
dqube Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you for the help.
Add a Comment: