Closed to new replies
November 26, 2020
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Tips and opinions on my cartoon style?

:iconbornoflight:
BornOfLight Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
As the title says... I've started getting interested in drawing cartoons and I'd like any critique or tips you may have so that I can improve my drawing style.

(It's the same character in both pictures, I've been thinking about making a few silly webcomics about him. He's socially awkward and aside from trying to fit in and dealing with the stigma of visible disfigurement, he also randomly turns into a snake.)
Expression Practice by BornOfLight Snek Merged by BornOfLight

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcicakkia:
cicakkia Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
For me, left looks unappealing. Maybe it looks more like creature from other planet rather than snake guy himself. Right however is good. Like the expression of the anaconda
BornOfLight Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I didn't want an appealing or attractive character in the first place :) Most of the time, the important characters in a story are attractive. I wanted something different.
:iconcicakkia:
cicakkia Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Oh yes, story is obviously a strong point on doing comic. But what I mean by "not appealing" is that look less interesting. Let say if I have to choose seeing those comic, I would definitely read the right one first because I know that is snake while maybe I will read the left next. But I will eagerly try to search your next upcoming snake comic but not that alien looking (although I know you mention they are the same person) because snake one is far more interesting as character a whole
Although try something different is good but sometimes you just need to stick simple stuff. Not just less interesting, I think right now that left one is looks complicated on the facial so it will hurt when doing expression and exaggeration. Those are also plays big part on doing comic. Still is up to you whether you want to change it or not but hope that clarify what I meant :)
:iconriger44:
Riger44 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2020  Student General Artist
Looks alright. Could use darker colors in general since its kinda hard to see the character colors as they look too close to white(could just be my shitty laptop screen but its not like I'm the only one using crappy screens).
BornOfLight Featured By Owner Edited Nov 28, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I can see the colors clearly, but thank you!
:iconfujinaka:
Fujinaka Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
I actually kinda like these.  I'm not sure how well the person would work in a webcomic with any kind of narrative, but they're perfect meme material.

Personally, I'd try using darker lines, it's kinda hard to see them unless you're zoomed in on it.
BornOfLight Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you! I'll keep that in mind 💖
Add a Comment: