Closed to new replies
November 23, 2020
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

What can I do to paint like the Zelda artwork

:iconlinkdemonwing:
LinkDemonwing Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2020  Hobbyist Artist
I'm new to more complex painting techniques, mostly I worked on drawing but now my goal is to paint better as this is being some of my best
Doog by LinkDemonwing
Theres a style that I actually want to achieve, like in the title say its the artwork style of Zelda games, most specific Breath of the Wild and Twillight Princess

static.wikia.nocookie.net/zeld…

i.pinimg.com/originals/0b/19/7…

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.co…
i.ytimg.com/vi/z8ipbeD4NHA/max…
But Im not so experimented and need some guideance to get in the right direction.
I work with Paint Tool Sai and Medibang pro, I'll be thankful with any tutorial,tip or guide that you could provide.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkirkechan:
KirkeChan Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
1. Make sure you're understanding anatomy very well. Also, poses, lights and shadows, expressions.
2. Get yourself custom brushes that are more adapted to painterly style than defualt.
3. Try and experiment until you'll reach your goal
:iconsketch-faggot:
SKETCH-FAGGOT Featured By Owner Edited Nov 25, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
They apply the same techniques you'd do for oil painting to digital art and they use specific paint styled digital brushes that will leave brush marks as a conscious texture choice. If you really look at the work you'll notice they don't use lines they paint with blocks of color. They're using color and general shape to make the forms and aren't worrying about fine details. It looks more complicated than it is but they're actually doing stuff really quick and messy because they want a blend of traditional looking art but still be cartoony. This is easier to understand when you're not fixated on making a character look like a character. It's a great way to start painting realism as well. The TP art is basically the same but they actually blend.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jczrAB…
:iconpaulaedith:
PaulaEdith Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Tengo esos pinceles pero en CSP así que no creo que te sirva el nombre ^.^*
Igualmente, creo que tratar de imitar las texturas que añadió el artista no te servirá de mucho. Es como tratar de imitar el topping de una tarta antes de aprender a hornear la base. Aprender perspectiva, anatomía, poses dinámicas y sombreado parece aburrido pero es crucial, ningún efecto puede superar un lineart bien planteado.
LinkDemonwing Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2020  Hobbyist Artist
Se que eso es importante, pero ya he llegado aun nivel donde siento confianza en mis habilidades en esos aspectos aunque no lo demuestre en el ejemplo que compartí; por eso quiero empezar a practicar específicamente el proceso de pintar y eso era lo que trataba de preguntar, creo que debí de usar mejores palabras.
:iconmetalrodan:
MetalRodan Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Try painting a still life with one strong light source
:iconbeojkkochie:
beojkkochie Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020   Digital Artist
Hello!
Idk if this helps since I use the Spanish Ver. of SAI, but there's a brush called "tenedor". It's simulates a fork and drags the paint. I use it in my drawings most of the time! You can pass by my profile and check the Hatsune Miku and the one I have for my profile pic; mines stylized for an anime way but you can use it for a realistic touch! (I have made a lot of portraits with it and it's fabulous XD + when you change the type of paper (SAI) a looks like a canvas)

Happy to see you like Zeldaaaaaa!!!! 💛💛
LinkDemonwing Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020  Hobbyist Artist
Gracias por el consejo, aunque tendré que buscarlo bien porque el mío esta en ingles.
Amo Zelda desde hace mucho tiempo jaja.
:iconbeojkkochie:
beojkkochie Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020   Digital Artist
Cool! yo igual jajajj y Revisé y la configuración del pincel es Rough flat (se puede encontrar debajo de la densidad/opacidad) espero te sirva (✿◡‿◡)
gracias
:iconspajjder:
spajjder Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Do you mean ingame graphics or stuff from manuals and 2d-graphics?

As far as I can see Breath of the wild, especially the character models look very cell shaded. Check out tutorials for that to learn more.
Like the concep art or the promotional art Ive linked a reference 
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Nearly any program can do the same thing when you want it to look more realistic.

The images I saw was a program that mimics traditional paint like Fresh Paint. It is a free program you can download from the Windows Store on Windows 8.1 and up. 
www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/fres…

If you have a style, then any program you use will show that style, because you are the same with any program. I think it is a good idea to not let a program limit what you want too do, and sometimes that might involve a few free programs. You don't need to forget what you want to do because the program don't do that. Just a few main brushes gives you the tools to do anything, and that is a brush with a hard edge, and one with a soft edge.

You just need to get yourself use to making art line that by using it as a reference until you can paint like that on your own. If someone uses Disney references, they will know how to do Disney characters one day.

You just need to start painting what you see, because if you do, then when you make your art look more like it until it is exactly the same, your art will be what you want. 
You can't be holding yourself back anymore than let a program hold you back, because then you might ask how do I draw this when I am sitting on my hands. 
Everything you see, even in real life, shows you everything you need to paint a copy of it. You see the right colors, lines, lighting, shading, shadows, perspectives, and I hope the flat image is not viewed from the side putting the image in a different perspective. Be right in front so you see it without added perspectives. 

I spent over 20 years painting and drawing what I saw, and it didn't matter what it was, from a music keyboard on the bed to a character on tv, I would wake up when I finish it, because it is a mindless function. It is your skills to create what you see from anything you look at. If you become very good and not need to think about anything, just mindlessly copy what you see, then your mind will work out other things like solve problems, predict what you need to make happen and planning, while your eyes focus on the art and the reference to copy every detail to make everything perfectly shaped, the perfect color matches, and everything in its place. 
Without matching what you see, you will not have the skills to physically, make what you want happen. The imagination is just references trigger images build from things you have seen or know very well. One day when you want to create things you imagine, you would need the wisdom in the subjects, like materials it is made from, like how to paint hair. 

It would be nice to learn from what you draw, but your mind would be more focused on copy what you see and not learn everything about it. When you can paint an image exactly like everything you see, then you can focus on other things, like lighting, and 3D shading while this mostly comes from leaning to draw what you see. Without anything to work with, you would need to create the lighting and shadows, but make sure everything has a 3D shape so you can see the surface shape to know how the lighting would hit in from an angle you pick. 

With digital art the painting is easier that traditional art, because in traditional art, you only have the pencil to sketch with so you can erase and adjust the lines. In digital art, everything can be erased, but you might use a mouse, touch pad, touch screen, or tablet to control your painting, and that goes through your computer and a program. Any one of these will effect how it comes out. 
I use a mouse, and I can go back and forth but to keep doing it close to where I want it, I will need to pick up the mouse and move it, because it might not move some of the way while I draw and need to go a little farther. That puts that out of sequence, then if the computer is doing things in the background like reporting what you are doing to the company with their own spyware, and updates checks, your computer will not be very focused on what you do. Then the program can use a lot of computer resources and using a large brush would cause lag time, and even with the best computer some programs do more when you have more, and it has nothing to do with what you are doing. 
I found a free program that does keep track of anything you do. If you see a wave in the line, then it was not the computer or the program. It was you. It was the first program that seems to focus on you, and never anything else. It is a very small program called SmoothDraw, and you can try it out by adding a .com to that name.

One thing Digital art does better is fill in shapes, and because it has transparent layers where you can put things in front of others, you need filed in shapes to not see anything through the brush strokes. 

When I sketch, it is easier to create the filled in shape, because I am very unaccurate drawing a line around the border. I need a shape to zoom into to follow a border for lines or use a program like Krita or Photoshop to use Stroke to draw my lines for me. 
Learn to be good at drawing anything you see, and then you can learn any style, or anything you want with art. 
Um thanks, I apreciate the advice, but it misses the point, I know that programs wont help me to change what I do and that everything involves technique, and thats what I was asking, never delved that much into painting so I most of my technique comes from practice and error rather from study; and thats why Im asking for help.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you draw something you see, then you should be able to see your mistakes for everything that was done wrong. You don't have that with things you imagine.
:iconjackalrats:
JackalRats Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
I also work in Paint Tool Sai, and to achieve that kind of art style I'd recommend some textured brushes as the examples are all very textured! As well as learning how to properly shade and lighten your subject for the environment they're in.
Thanks, do you recommend any brush in specific?
:iconjackalrats:
JackalRats Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
The Bristle Brush may give you the texture you're looking for! Anything with a bit of a split end edge should do.
Thanks a lot again
Add a Comment: