Closed to new replies
November 20, 2020
Link

Statistics

Replies: 24

Change of style. What do you think?

:iconshepengul:
Shepengul Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Have you ever radically changed your style?
I have been drawing in the same style for a long time, without a line, trying to be picturesque. But recently I want to completely change my approach and start doing the usual sem irealism with a line.
Have you had a similar experience? Is it worth giving up your style for the sake of popularity?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconorchidkitty:
orchidkitty Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2020   Digital Artist
I am going through a change right now xD
For a while I really hated linework, now I kinda leave it in my semi real pieces. Kinda messy and loose lines, not hyper clean ones, I will never be able to be patient enough for this.
:iconextraterrestrialarts:
extraterrestrialarts Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2020  Professional General Artist
Being sick from coronavirus affected my style I think... that virus fucks with your head, and causes mental damage as well as physical damage... avoid catching it.
:iconhai-etlik:
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Edited Dec 1, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Think about what your particular goals are:

• Drawing for pure enjoyment
  • Getting attention because you like attention
  • Drawing as practice to improve
  • Getting attention so you can receive criticism to help you improve
  • Getting attention as advertising so you can get work
  • Building a portfolio to demonstrate your capability to potential employers, clients, schools, etc

Other people can give you advice about how to accomplish your goals, but only you can decide what they are, and whatever they are, they are legitimately your goals.  If anyone tells you its somehow wrong to consider the opinions of others, feel free to ignore their opinion and make up your own mind what you want to get out of your art.

The list above isn't meant to be exhaustive, it's just a starting point.  Maybe I missed something and you'll probably want to consider the specifics in more detail.

On the specific question of realism.  There is the practical concern that stylization builds on top of realism. So if you want to get better at stylized drawing, you need to get better at realistic drawing.  It's up to you if that's worthwhile though.
:iconkarren-san:
Karren-san Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2020  Student General Artist
I don't like  the idea of doing something only for the sake of popularity 
:iconjackalrats:
JackalRats Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't think you should ever change your style just to be popular, but if you genuinely want to try a new style then go for it! I've done something similar, and it's ended in me having multiple styles to work with as opposed to having an entirely different and new style.
:iconriger44:
Riger44 Featured By Owner Edited Nov 23, 2020  Student General Artist
No, but I experimented with different directions on how to progress my style. Used to jump on the semi-realism bandwagon but I came across some stylish anime art and thought that was pretty cool, I've come to appreciate stylization more.

Depends on your goals. I'm trying to build my identity and have my art be recognizable, following trends kinda goes against that. Sure I can gain popularity easier but its not authentic, also I won't really stand out from the sea of artists doing the same style.
:icontearup:
Tearup Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconlingy-0: completely changed his style. ---> www.artstation.com/yunling904
But I don't think he did it for popularity, I think his previous style would be more popular. Also it makes me think of picasso, who also changed his style. (Guess this comment is very random, sorry.)
:icontianasama:
TianaSama Featured By Owner Edited Nov 21, 2020  Student General Artist
Hi ! 🙂
I think style is overrated. 
I'm that kind of artist who likes to change style in each work, because I get bored very fast if I draw with the same style twice, so my gallery is very fun to look at ! 
Every style can be popular, as long you find the right public.
Have fun, and good luck with your art journey ! 🍀
:iconthehaxman:
TheHaxMan Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2020  Student Filmographer
Changing style and trying something new: yes, worth it.
Doing it for popularity: No, not worth it.

Popularity is always relative. Art goes through periods of trends. Some things will always be somewhat in vogue, like realism. Other things come and go, like modernism, etc. I've changed my style from cell shaded to more painterly because that's what I like to see. But yeah. I'd say do what you like, not what may be popular or not. Everything starts from being obscure to becoming more well known.
:iconbeebrushes:
beebrushes Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Absolutely, style is not something one owns, they are interchangeable, you can experiment with new things and go for something completely different and new, as long as it's your choice, go for it. I have tried plenty different approaches with my style and I still do, but not in one of them I've done it for clout, not to be rude or anything, but it feels pretty disingenuous when some people go for a certain style only for clicks, not that deep down you know they are not content with what they are drawing, same with the subject, like drawing cute tumblr girls for the same reason. But even if I think that's kinda crappy, if people do it anyway, I also say go for it, do you, boo, if it's the style you decided to go with, then make it worth appreciating even if it looks overdone. 
:iconxr4p1d:
Xr4p1d Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
I changed from anime to semi realism in the span of 1 year.God it was a blessing.
:iconsachimizora:
SachiMizora Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have changed it a bit ? 
I want to explore different styles & develop my style from those experiences ^^
:iconeyeballearth:
EyeballEarth Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Not radically, at least not over a short time. But I practice a few different things and IMO it's pretty important to do something different once i na while and not narrow yourself down in order to improve on the long run.
:iconnoorpol:
NOORPOL Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've done that recently. No because I want a different style or anything. But I'm in the process of moving and BOY is there a lot wrong with this shit shed -.-' Anyway, I started drawing in a different style due to lack of time. The style I chose took me shorter time to finish. 
:iconscottahemi:
ScottaHemi Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have changed my art style many times over the years. but it's less of a drastic change and more of an i learned something new or acquired a new tool and my style just evolved kind of stuff. 

if i could figure out a new style I think it might be lineless. not the photorealism kind but like :iconsamuraijackplz: style. i've seen some other artists doing really great things with this kind of style! but it takes a different understanding that I don't have figured out just yet. 
:iconbarananduen:
barananduen Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020   General Artist
I learned to draw/paint with realism, but in the early 2000s, I wanted something more anime with a touch of Western, and so I came up with and drew like [this] for a few years. Then, due to life changes, I stopped arting for 5 yrs, and when I came back to it, I wanted something more realistic, so I started doing things like [this], which is what I keep doing now as a preferred thing (though I switch things up a LOT from piece to piece depending on what I want).

Anyway, on to your situation. This semi realism with a line... do you want to change to it because you like it better than what you've been doing until now, or because it's popular? Because if you don't really like it, and your work with it ends up becoming more popular bc it's trendy, you might end up hating your work. And that would be sad.

If it's because your current work is not selling, there are other things you could try before changing styles... different styles and themes are popular on different social media (and people on DA pay pennies anyway). From what I've seen, Twitter likes fully cartoony pastel witches, so that's probably not a good idea for your, either. Although I'm not in it, so I don't know what the trend there is, I hear reddit is a good market for art.... maybe take a look there? Then, try offline; your style is likely to be way more popular offline. Though it's currently difficult with COVID, but, in the longer term, try fairs, galleries, local events... you can sell art for higher prices face-to-face than you can online. The point is to find your niche market.

If all else fails, you could try selling things online with the semi-realism-with-lines style you mentioned, BUT I'd highly recommend you continue doing personal work in your preferred style, and mentally separate art-for-work and art-as-an-expression-of-self/what-you-like, for your mental health and long-term relationship with art. It's very sad when you see skilled artists who become slaves to a style for the sake of commissions and end up hating and quitting art altogether. Don't want that to happen to you.
:iconlord-of-sloths:
Lord-of-Sloths Featured By Owner Edited Nov 20, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't think so. Back then my style didn't have a identity yet until it grow and develop overtime inspired by other styles in my own way. It's unique why should I change my style for popularity? Even my style felt nostalgic. Sounds nice but it stuck with me for far too long. I feel like i'll regret it for selling my soul for it. The only time I feel like I want to do another style is when I start working on anthropomorphic animals (humans are more easier for me but expanding is good right?) And discover a furry style called "Kemono" I like the style. So usually I rarely change styles unless I really like it. Who knows maybe my style will stand out someday.. Maybe? Who knows.. I've been here for almost 7 years (just moved accounts) and no dice, but I seem to have a better time than my old account so I hope so. Fox emoji - whoops 
:iconwolflich:
Wolflich Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've never felt the need to stick with one style in the first place. Sometimes it radically changes from one picture to the next.
:iconbobbelebien:
Bobbelebien Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Student Filmographer
Depends on what your goal is completely and what it's worth it to give up (and if this is even necessary)
I personally wouldn't advise it. But don't forget you can always do both.
:icongyrobreaker:
Gyrobreaker Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I’m changing my style to lineless currently, but if you really don’t really enjoy semi-realism, you shouldn’t do it. Changing your style for popularity doesn’t make any sense to me. Draw in the style that you enjoy/love doing! 
I really feel strange because everyone wants to switch to lineless, and I want to get rid of lineless :D I think semirealism is good and beautiful, why not! If it helps to get out of the hole that I have driven myself into with my style, then I am ready to go for a radical change of art
:icongyrobreaker:
Gyrobreaker Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I personally switched to lineless because I found it more fun than lined art!
you want to try adding lines + experimenting with your style, go for it! But if you aren’t really happy with it, you can try experimenting more or going back to your old style. But remember, you can do both lined semi-realism and art like your current style! You don’t have to stick to just one thing 
:iconharissa213:
harissa213 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well I'm in a process of changing my style to the one without lines. I think that giving up your style for sake of popularity is stupid... We should do what we love instead of just doing things for clout. 
Thanks for the answer! :) Can you tell me why you want to get rid of the line in your work? Yes, it's stupid to change your style for the sake of popularity, but what if drawing is your job, but you can't sell your drawings because of an unpopular style?
:iconharissa213:
harissa213 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well I personally like more lineless art so I think I would like to go that way with my art. Hmm when your art is your job as well I think this is a moment when you have to do changes to earn money to live off, but when you draw for yourself you can do what you want.
Add a Comment: